Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
General Guidelines for Off The Wall
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: General Guidelines for Off The Wall Reply with quote

As the name suggests, this forum is intended for pretty much anything not related to Gentoo. This includes political, religious, racial, ethnic, and other "sensitive" topics. You are free to say what you want in this forum as we typically do not moderate things here as much as the other forums (Edit: the forums guidelines still apply, though. --kallamej). Keep the following guidelines in mind, however:

OTW Guidelines
  1. All posts must be professional and courteous. You are free to disagree with your fellow community members. You are not free to attack, degrade, troll or malign them. It doesn't matter what forum title you have -- you are expected to follow this rule.
  2. If you are easily offended, have thin skin or are otherwise overly-sensitive, this is not the forum for you. There are a lot of people who have opinions here and they are not afraid to share them. Subject to the first provision, they are free to do so.
  3. If you feel that a thread is getting out of hand, or you see a post where you feel one member is being disrespectful to another, feel free to bring it to the attention of a moderator or site admin. At the bottom of the front page, you can see a list of who's online. Moderators are listed in green, site admins in orange. Drop a PM to whomever happens to be online at the moment. If nobody is online, drop a PM to me.
If you're unsure of what might constitute "professional and courteous", here are some helpful hints:

Helpful Hints
  1. The phrases "you are an idiot", "shut up bitch" and "when you're done having sex with your computer" are generally indicative of a problematic post. Suggested alternatives include, "I disagree with your points and here's why", "please" and "thank you". If the meanings of these alternatives are unclear to you, I suggest slapping your parents for doing a poor job of raising you.
  2. In general, if it's not something you'd say to your mother, it's not appropriate to post here. For those of you who might have unique relationships with your mother, let me phrase it another way. If you were to say it to Arnold Schwarzenegger's mother and he kicked your ass as a result, it's probably not appropriate to say here. For those of you who have dead mothers and are offended by my use of this analogy, I refer to you OTW Guideline #2 and chastise you for being here in the first place.
At this point, we have no plans to delete OTW or make any significant changes to it. We rely upon you all to be polite to each other and play nice in the sandbox. For those of you who may be unable to do so, we ask that you spend your free time elsewhere.

--kurt

Last edited by klieber on Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:50 am; edited 2 times in total
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite our best efforts, we've still been having a number of problems with people violating these guidelines. As such, we're implementing a new policy -- ban first and ask questions later. If a moderator or site admin finds a post that violates one of these guidelines, that person will most likely be banned immediately. No warnings, no second chances. This policy only applies to OTW, where it seems people are unable to get along.

Thus, if you attack someone personally, degrade, belittle or otherwise behave unprofessionally towards your fellow forum users, do not be surprised to find yourself banned shortly thereafter.

--kurt
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so looks like we got a little carried away over the weekend. If you suddenly find yourself banned and are wondering why, you should go see if you participated in this thread. Phrases like "suck my dick" are pretty much guaranteed to get you tossed.

Before anyone accuses me of singling anyone out, feel free to send me a PM if you think I overlooked an offensive post. The key is not whether or not the person posted a controversial statement, but rather if they did so in such a way that violated one of the rules mentioned above.

--kurt
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Banned from OTW Reply with quote

ian! recently supplied us with a new feature: Banning people from OTW. It has been so super-sekrit that we even forgot about it ourselves for about a month.
From now on, if you mess up in OTW the person banning you may decide to ban you from OTW only. The decision to do so may depend on a lot of things, e.g. people being helpful in the rest of the forums and getting nasty in a heated debate your chances to be banned from OTW instead of the whole forums are higher than the chances of someone being very rude in the first post ever.

In either way, banning is not about fun, please respect the forum guidelines in the first place.

edit: Left open to replies if there are questions on topic.

EDIT: Split off discussion. --pjp
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: