IE optimized CSS in THIS forum??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seventhguardian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: IE optimized CSS in THIS forum?? Reply with quote

Did any one notice that this LINUX forum uses a "fancy" CSS for M$ Internet Explorer?

Well, I did:
Code:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/gentoo/gentoo.css" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
/* Import the fancy styles for IE only (NS4.x doesn't use the @import function) */
@import url("templates/gentoo/formIE.css");
</style>

I really don't know what to think of this. Yes, they are just a few lines of code, but still I'm a bit disapointed.

Why? First because this is a LINUX forum, and second because web pages should be optimized for STANDARD web browsers..
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the css file being imported, it's about 15 lines long. Also, I'm pretty sure it's only imported if you use IE to browse the forums. I don't see the issue.
seventhguardian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQgryn wrote:
If you look at the css file being imported, it's about 15 lines long. Also, I'm pretty sure it's only imported if you use IE to browse the forums. I don't see the issue.

The issue is not bandwidth or technical in any way. It's just a matter of policy: why should IE be any different from other browsers?

The policy question becomes stronger if we consider the fact that the site is devoted to GNU/Linux.
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, IE wouldn't be different. Unfortunately, it is. While we don't support IE having the quirks it has, it won't make us look very good if the predominant browser can't render the site properly. Do you really think that someone visiting the forums from their Windows machine, using IE, is going to realize that it's IE's fault the site looks bad? I think it's much more likely they'll think something along the lines of "Those Gentoo (or Linux) guys don't know what they're doing! This site looks terrible!".
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo style used here was modified from the default subSilver one, this is where it's come from:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/templates/subSilver/formIE.css

I guess Kyle (aka Nitro) who did the work didn't bother removing it
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, whats to say that this is 'optimized' code? Maybe in IE (if someone tested it in there) something is displayed incorrectly and the import function (which only works in IE) is used there specifically to only load that into that browser. There are some things in CSS which are not standardized quite yet (just some certain settings that only one browser will support and others won't)
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite often browsing this forum with IE when I'm at work and forced to use windows as my client most of the time, so why not!?!
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seventhguardian wrote:
The issue is ... just a matter of policy: why should IE be any different from other browsers?
The policy question becomes stronger if we consider the fact that the site is devoted to GNU/Linux.

No, it doesn't. Please:
Code:
umount /mnt/soapbox

Tailoring styles to browsers helps any site present its content to the widest possible audience with minimum distortion. IE shouldn't be different, but it is, so why not adjust for it--or any other quirky browser? It's like supporting multiple languages: to broaden your audience, accommodate their needs.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember, too, that users trying to get help installing Gentoo may not already know of alternative browsers; so when they post their questions from Windows might be using IE. Also note that many of us may browse from school/work/etc where it's difficult or near impossible to use an alternative browser choice (unfortunate as that may be).
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seventhguardian wrote:
IQgryn wrote:

The issue is not bandwidth or technical in any way. It's just a matter of policy: why should IE be any different from other browsers?

why not? While I use Gentoo at home and used Firefox, I also use XP at home with Firefox. BUT at work (when I can't be arsed.. ie now) I can only use IE

I fail to see the problem?

and as to why should IE be any different.. it is MS and they have a history of embrace and extend where the extend break compatablity with everything BUT their products
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to support as much as possible, even if you have a dislike for the software.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To promote intolerance is not the way of this community. That is the only policy here. Tolerance and respect.

That some random company is intolerant of disrespectful to any other group does not mean that we have to put ourselves to their same level of inhumanity, does it? That little css snippet opens lots of doors, and is helpfull to thousands of persons each single day. It does not harm anyone either (no, it does not harm free software, don't go that way), so, to quote a random song "let it be".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: