View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: fluxbox and gcc 3.2 minor problem Reply with quote

SIgh, I'm really not sure if this should go under bugs, desktop, or gcc 3--Nitro, feel free to move it if you feel it best (and let me know why you chose to do so, so that I will know better in the future)

I haven't submitted a Bugzilla report on this, because it's not going to be that common a set of circumstances and like a lamer, I didn't even write the error message.

Anyway, happened on two different boxes.

Both are running 1.4 beta, both done a few days ago, so they had gcc 3.2_pre. Today, upgraded that to the 3.2 final.

In both cases, when I typed startx, fluxbox failed to start, complaining about missing libraries.
As I'd just done this upgrade, I wasn't overly surprised so tried my first line of defense in such a case
Code:
emerge -C fluxbox &&
emerge fluxbox

This fixed the problem both times.

So, it's a minor difficulty and easily fixed--I'm posting this more because I figured someone else might run into the problem and do a search on the forums for it.

I also realize that it was somewhat irresponsible to not get the error message--my only excuse is that I wasn't overly surprised and didn't worry too much about it, figuring that an unmerge and emerging again would fix it.

So, hopefully, this will be of use to someone

Scott
echeslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having a similar problem. Your error probably looked something like this...
Code:

fluxbox: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1' not found (required by fluxbox)
fluxbox: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.1' not found (required by fluxbox)

Anyway, I have had this problem with all programs that use c++, and I guess flux does too. It happened after upgrading to the gcc-3.2_pre-r1, and still happens with gcc-3.2.

By the way, even if you didn't know what had caused it, you could get a good guess by using qpkg to search what package the file belongs to:
Code:

root@Slug ewen # qpkg -f /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/libstdc++.so.5
sys-devel/gcc *

So, now the problem becomes, I need to update my system, but only want to recompile the programs that need the new c++ stuff. Anybody have a good idea of how to figure this out? Or should I just recompile everything (quite painful on a p266! already took a day to do mozilla and galeon)? I assume I could at least avoid X as there shouldn't be any C++ in there.

Finally I should note to people (and maybe a mod should sticky or split for those who may be upgrading from gcc3.2_pre to gcc3.2), that upgrading breaks the ability to read even manpages until you have recompiled groff, as it uses C++ (that could leave you in a sticky situation!)

-ewen
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my error message was quite similar--I also posted this problem to gentoo-user (again with the idea of helping anyone who ran into it.) Spider stated that it was to be expected. Someone else had a similar problem with Blackbox, but had fixed it the same way. However, that poster had been unable to get a few other things working, and Spider mentioned that he would probably have to recompile X. (The "that and a number of other things" referred to various apps that were fixed by unmerging and re-emerging them)

(here's that post)

Quote:

Yes...that and a number of other things. The only one that I haven't
> been able to get working properly is xscreensaver. It will not emerge
>
> with any thing 3D based i.e. Gears, GFlux, Atlantis etc. It simply
> will not install them. Stumped :(
>

rebuild xfree and it should work, the opengl drivers are c++ code.

and this was to be expected, the binary abi changed again in gcc
3.2_pre to 3.2 sharp.

Thanks for the headsup about the man pages--just tried that, and sure enough, you were right. Glad I found that out before I needed to use them for something. :)

Scott
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, there is a thread (I should have looked first) on packages that aren't working with 3.2
over at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11963

Scott
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: