Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 3.2 is here: Now is the time to rebuild everything. How?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: getting error 139 Reply with quote

when running the upgrade script nr. 3 i get a build problem.
emerge bails out on glibc with some error 139.
After searching on google, it may be a binutils problem...
but i dont know :/
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the 4 scripts and they seemed to work successfuly but im guessing i still need to do something else since none of the c++ apps work.

emerge -e world?

If so, is there a way for the packages to be downloaded and built somewhere other than the default directories (im pretty sure i'll be running out of space on my / partition).
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*currently in hour 12 of an emerge -e world*

The 4 update scripts worked great. But god does emerge -e world take forever. And it hasn't even reached Mozilla yet. That takes 2 hours by itself. (At least.)

Cool.
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: aha! Reply with quote

aha!!
It`s not glibc that is bailing out, it is python!
Make gives mi error # 139!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: aha! Reply with quote

dtun3Z wrote:
aha!!
It`s not glibc that is bailing out, it is python!
Make gives mi error # 139!

I actually just got finished looking this up for another thread, if you're interested.
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen it, but i dont think that is the problem. i can emerge everything else it seems... :/
but will try to go to the bios and use the safemode thing there ;-)
see if that helps..

i have tried not using --fomit-frame-pointer, but it`s not that.
Kruuse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the 4 scripts and rebooted. I checked the log as per the instructions and noticed that kde had failed to recompile. I emerged kde and a few apps (Kbiff, Kportage, Mosfet-Liquid etc.) and a handful of hours later everything was fine. Except X which wouldn't start due to an Nvidia kernel error with the new drivers. I recompiled the Linux kernel and now I'm back in business.

Good scripts and instructions (if you read them) ;)

/Jens
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: wish me luck! Reply with quote

well guys,
here goes nothing....

got the first of the four scripts running right now.

My plan is to go conservative on the CFLAGS until I get it all working....(if)
then I think I might try to go a little more aggressive and re-merge most of my system. I think this would be the easiest way for me since I have very little knowledge of this stuff. At least then I won't mistake problems I have with my new GCC for problems with dangerous CFLAGS. Seems like if I have problems, I will be more able to track it down, if I am only changing one thing at a time.

I just want to know if this approach makes sense, or is it a stupidly extra time consuming way of doing the same thing? I have no problem with compile time since this is all just on my home computer that sits around waiting for me to get home from work and play BZflag for a while. the rest of the time I just mess with it to try and learn something. (in other words, it isn't exactly mission critical).

later,
uglyman
Kruuse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: wish me luck! Reply with quote

uglyman wrote:
well guys,
here goes nothing....

got the first of the four scripts running right now.

My plan is to go conservative on the CFLAGS until I get it all working....(if)
then I think I might try to go a little more aggressive and re-merge most of my system. I think this would be the easiest way for me since I have very little knowledge of this stuff. At least then I won't mistake problems I have with my new GCC for problems with dangerous CFLAGS. Seems like if I have problems, I will be more able to track it down, if I am only changing one thing at a time.

I used "-march=athlon-tbird -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer" and nothing else. Seems to work fine. I'll wait a while before I push my luck further - like I waited a bit before going to GCC 3.2. And that turned out to be a wise decision. ;)

/Jens
kachaffeous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: rebuild from scratch? Reply with quote

I have a Gentoo version 1.2 system. I haven't really done much with it since it was built. Although my emerge doesn't work anymore. I am assuming that it is because of the new gcc. What is needed to bring version 1.2 into line? I tried running theses scripts:
http://www.gentoo.org/~carpaski/system_update/

The scripts fail out. I also tried re-making the /etc/make.profile link. I can not emerge anything. :(

Should I just rebuild from scratch using the 1.4_rc1 cd? I'm at work atm so don't know the exact error message, although it deals with gcc.

Thanks for any info (or flames) :)
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: no, no flames here Reply with quote

well, AFAIK there is no reason why a new version of gcc being released should break emerge. I have been happily using the old version of gcc for quite a while and my emerge has been fine. I think it could be possible that at some point if you were doing some sort of massive emerge update it may have emerged a new gcc when you weren't expecting it, then you would have problems....maybe. but it should still be using the old one anyway because your /etc/make.profile link probably never got accidently moved. unless maybe you accidently unmerged the old gcc, or something.

as I said, I think this is possible, but I don't think it is very likely. if emerge broke it is probably something else IMO.

My suggestion would be to post this question in another thread and give us the error messages to work with... maybe someone can turn something up. also let us know what you have tried (if anything) to get emerge working again. updating your portage tree and emerging portage could help out............ but with no emerge this could be ugly. (like me)

later,
uglyman

P.S. thanks to kruuse for posting those cflags... I will think about it for a little while and I may use those (addapted for my PIII of course). I was planning to avoid things like -fomit-frame-pointer for a while (as I was describing in my other post) because there seems to be some controversy in this thread as to whether or not it works, and whether or not it is good.

well maybe I will try it once your way. and if I have any problems I may just drop ALL of the fancy stuff.
athlonkmf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Update killed my gentoo Reply with quote

:evil:

I've tried the script on my freshly installed 1.2 system (how should I know that 1.4 is out within 2 weeks?)

It passed the 2nd script, but at the 3rd script, emerge fails at emerging textinfo

No problem I guessed. just work with 1.2 for now... but then found out that KDE doesn't work anymore. Rar doesn't work anymore.. ah just nothing work...

So what can I do about it?
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: damn Reply with quote

well I am writing this from my fresh mandrake install. sorry for any typos but I can hardly read this crappy font they gave me. no offense to mandrake fans but YUCK!

anyway this is what happened.

a few days ago I was trying to update all my packages and I found that some wouldn't install because they used cp -p in the make file. I posted a message about it. rac posted a reply with a link to a bugzilla report that offered a patch to the kernel sources to fix the problem. anyway, I had already gotten temporarily around the problem, and planned on patching the kernel later. Then I tried running the 4 upgrade scripts but I forgot to patch the kernel first. So it failed an emerge very early on ( I think it was db or something like that) and then things slowly got worse. A more skilled person may have saved it, but I tried to patch the kernel which caused problems I guess because the gcc upgrade wasnt' complete enough or something. well, anyway... soon my attempt at fixing the problem eventually ended up with me trying to emerge portage which managed to unmerge the old portage, but not emerge a new one. so I tried the rescue tarball, but things really got bad. finally grub could no longer boot any of the kernels in my /boot dir. some sort of error while freeing kernel memory.

the link to my post about the XFS cp -p problem follows see rac's reply for the bugzilla link:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=14701

IF YOU USE XFS FOR YOUR FILESYSTEM PLEASE PATCH YOUR KERNEL ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE BUGZILLA REPORT TALKED ABOUT AT THE ABOVE LINK. DO THIS BEFORE YOU TRY THE UPGRADE SCRIPTS OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!

I hope I saved somebody the trouble I just had.

oh well I was thinking about starting over anyway. I didn't have any important files really, and they should be safely stored on my /usr partition anyway. once I get my new gentoo going I can mount it and go. I just hope I can still dig out my /etc. All of my packages were freshly upgraded so the files should still all fit.

later,
uglyman
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear your system went up in flames, uglyman.

One other thing people with the XFS / ACL problem can try is:
Code:
# USE="-acl" emerge fileutils
...this has taken away the cp problem for some people.
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: I want to update from Gentoo 1.3b to Gentoo 1.4. Reply with quote

Do I have to install Gentoo 1.4 or can I upgrade my 1.3b system to Gentoo 1.4 with bootstrapping and recompiling everthing?

There are so many scripts out there, so I am a little bit confused now. A little list about the scripts which worked should be nice.
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac,
I had the use flag set I think, but I don't remember the fileutils package... I think I may have had that too. I am not really sure now, and I have no good way to check. Any way, thanks for the tip, I actually plan to keep using XFS. I have been pretty happy with it. So I will MAKE SURE I have fileutils next time. also I will make sure I have the kernel patched to fix at least the bugs I know about :roll:

I feel rather stupid since it was so recent that you told me about the bug in the other thread. :oops: Oh well, at least it is no data lost (so far) :D

I am also very glad I didn't just start over and try to reinstall the new version from scratch. I really did learn a lot. I had never bothered trying to keep my packages up to date, but I updated the whole system right before the attempted upgrade. I learned a lot from this process, and then I learned a lot about the whole structure of the system (as it crumbled down around me) :wink: I never really new what bootstrapping was, and now I have a basic understanding. and I never new how greatful I would be that my /home dir is on a seperate partition. :lol:

later,
uglyman

ps. still sorry about any typos. I haven't had time to fix the stupid mandrake unreadable font problem.
Kruuse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: no, no flames here Reply with quote

uglyman wrote:
P.S. thanks to kruuse for posting those cflags... I will think about it for a little while and I may use those (addapted for my PIII of course). I was planning to avoid things like -fomit-frame-pointer for a while (as I was describing in my other post) because there seems to be some controversy in this thread as to whether or not it works, and whether or not it is good.

You're very welcome. :)

An update to my "everything went well" statement.
  1. Nvidia drivers were not working. I ran:
    Code:
    emerge -uS nvidia
    ... and discovered the new drivers. They didn't work, so I tried recompiling my kernel, and after a reboot I had my purdy graphics back. (Btw, check out the thread on kernel boot options with nv cards - some very nice graphical consoles are available.).
  2. Tuxracer was borked. A simple
    Code:
    emerge tuxracer
    ... took care of that.
  3. Tuxpaint was borked. (Tuxpaint is an excellent paintbox for kids). I tried recompiling the source but that failed with some SDL dependencies. So I uninstalled it with "make uninstall", and re-emerged all of the required packages using Portage. They are:
    Quote:
    Simple DirectMedia Layer library (SDL) (version 1.2.4 or newer)
    SDL_image (for PNG support)
    SDL_ttf (for fonts)
    SDL_mixer (optional)
    libPNG (for SDL_image)
    FreeType2 (for SDL_ttf)
    docbook-to-man (for building the man page)
    gettext (for multilingual support)
    (A few of the packages have slightly different names in Portage).
    A new "make && make install" worked just fine and allowed my boys to show their artistic prowess again.
  4. GCompris was borked. Again, reinstalling that bit of crucial software was a simple matter of "doing the same thing again". Actually, I "forced" it a bit:
    Code:
    emerge -e gcompris
    ... which installed 5 or so packages. (Yes, I always --pretend first). Seemed like the simplest way to do it.

As you can see there were some problems but nothing a simple reinstallation couldn't handle. Only one remains: For some reason I cannot shut down my system from Gentoo! I can do it from a GRUB prompt (using "halt") but not my Linux prompt. Odd... :?
/Jens
hampton275
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: To upgrade to 1.4 Reply with quote

I have been reading through the posts and one thing eludes me?
Will there be a easy/fairily failsafe way to upgrade without jumping through hoops? Don't get me wrong I love the OS and will continue to use it, but there are a lot of newbie users that will be scared of by the install/upgrade (which has me a little confused, but thats normal)? I mean I know to be a viable alternative to some of the other distros it can be quite an undertaking.
I really like Gentoo, but going home to upgrade and not knowing with any certainty that my system may blow up in the process. Just my 2 cents.
rasmus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded my server to gcc-3.2 using Carpaskis scripts. My laptop already runs Gentoo-1.4, installed from scratch with GCC3.2.

But what is Carpaskis script number 4 actually supposed to do? I thought it would rebuild everything that it could rebuild, but it gave me a list of some ten packages it would recompile and then recompiled them. On the other hand, emerge -p -e world gives me a list of hundreds of packages.

Is the script seriously buggy or have I misunderstood what it's supposed to do?

Time to take a look at rmerge?
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at hampton275

for example a "how to upgrade" would be very nice. i've read about so many problems, that i am not sure what to do exactly....
hampton275
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: How to upgrade from 1.2 -> 1.4 Reply with quote

I am not trying to be critical. All I am saying is when a user posts "How to upgrade from 1.2 -> 1.4", he is told to come to this thread. There are 7 pages of different peoples opinions on how to accomplish this. Most which are different.
When an upgrade comes out, there should be a how-to or document on how to upgrade/install that version posted on the Gentoo Installation page or a similar page. People that are just getting into Linux/Gentoo would have a much easier time if it was laid down somewhere.
Then again, maybe it is and I just can't find it(Which has been known to happen from time to time).
I just saw an improvement that could be made and thought it should be mentioned.
Thanks
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The install docs for gentoo have been updated for 1.4, What I did was save my etc and home into the boot partition. and install from scratch. I'm hoping that when I get home I've got a nice new Gentoo waiting for me.
Word Mofo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: To upgrade to 1.4 Reply with quote

hampton275 wrote:
I have been reading through the posts and one thing eludes me?
Will there be a easy/fairily failsafe way to upgrade without jumping through hoops? Don't get me wrong I love the OS and will continue to use it, but there are a lot of newbie users that will be scared of by the install/upgrade (which has me a little confused, but thats normal)? I mean I know to be a viable alternative to some of the other distros it can be quite an undertaking.
I really like Gentoo, but going home to upgrade and not knowing with any certainty that my system may blow up in the process. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah.... do all upgrades require such pain? I'm not even going to attempt to upgrade to 1.4 since I will be too busy with work here at the University. Will upgrading be easier in the future? If not, gentoo might not be the distro for me :cry:
McVeigh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpaski scripts Reply with quote

mueller wrote:
IvoryTiger wrote:
http://www.gentoo.org/~carpaski/system_update/

Just follow his instructions and download the 1,2,3,4 scripts and run in order.

Ok, I did it. I followed the instructions word by word. But now, after the usual "Freeing unused kernel memory..."

Code:

INIT: version 2.84 booting
/bin/bash:error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
INIT: Entering runlivel:3
/bin/bash:error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes

Edit:
I got it:

chroot and then

ldd /bin/bash
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/libgcc_s.so.1 ...

why is bash linked to libgcc_s.so.1 after the upgrade??

thanks,
axel

OK i get the same error, but i can't get to a shell sshd isn't started when I get various processes spawning too quickly.

axel, what did you do?

Seth

left to do:
USB printer
qmail
squirelmail
php
mueller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpaski scripts Reply with quote

Quote:

OK i get the same error, but i can't get to a shell sshd isn't started when I get various processes spawning too quickly.

axel, what did you do?

/bin/bash is looking for /usr/lib/libgcc.... (and it really shouldn't do that) /usr is mounted at boot time, because it's on another partition. So bash has a problem: it needs /usr/lib/libgcc... to mount /usr to get /usr/lib/libgcc.......

you could try to -

- start the system with livecd-basic-1.4_rc1-r2.iso from www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc1/x86/

- mount your root partition to /mnt/xyz and mount all the other partitions your system usually mounts into /mnt/xyz/usr and so on.

- set up network

- chroot into /mnt/xyz (read the installation-guide for a description)

- save your files in /etc (I didn't take this step, now I'm installing from scratch)

- emerge rsync

- try something like emerge -u world or emerge -u bash or emerge -e world

But maybe you should just save /etc and /home and install from scratch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: