Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 3.2 is here: Now is the time to rebuild everything. How?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: GCC 2.95 Re-Emerge (remerge?) Reply with quote

<quote>Although I am still puzzled as to WHY THE HELL do we emerge the old 2.95.3 gcc over the new gcc 3.2 and then emerge gcc (3.2) after that...</quote>

I skipped that part - bad AJ! - because my gcc -v was already showing the right version. It is also no longer present in Spider's modified instructions (http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-August/014369.html), so I thought it was now optional.

I haven't had any problems - maybe someone can explain if I should be, or if I might have problems I am unaware of.

-aja
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O Igh! Just hope I don't ALREADY have a "polluted" installation (DOH!)... Apart from being obviously a bit long with the re-compilations and all, I didn't find it that treacherous...obviously not really intended for an online server (suggestion, make your binary packages off another machine instead :-) )
zagarna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPrime wrote:

I think this is related to a bug (search bugs.gentoo.org) in portage that causes the -k flag (eq --usepkg) not to work properly (it tries to compile again).

that bug was just closed, should be resolved in Portage 2.0.30 (final version)
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_puck_ wrote:
Ok, i read a bit in the gcc.gnu.org online documentation and in all threats including "the mother of all CFLAGS threads".

Could you point us a link to the CFLAGs? :)

* ElCondor pasa *
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElCondor wrote:
_puck_ wrote:
Ok, i read a bit in the gcc.gnu.org online documentation and in all threats including "the mother of all CFLAGS threads".

Could you point us a link to the CFLAGs? :)

Maby https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11796&highlight=mother+cflags -> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5717 ? :D
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to update to gcc3.2-r1, i have a binary of gcc2.95.3 and a binary of gcc3.2-r1 and no compilor, because of emerge -C gcc and that little bug in emerge --usepkg.

Question: how do i get to a normal situation?

-using the stage1-1.4 tarball? If i do, what do i loose?
-untaring the one of the binary's don't do the whole job, is there a way to get them working?
-Does anybody know when that bug is fixed, and if, do i need a compiler if i update portage?
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(hmm, this thread should be locked. j/k :P )

guys, upgrading to the latest gcc is not that difficult. you do not need to wait for 1.4 to switch (don't quote me on this, though -- heheh.) 1.4 is just a version # for the installer.

1) emerge rsync

2)link to the latest make.profile (for gcc 2.0): ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-2.0 make.profile

3) /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh (or emerge gcc might work too, i think.)

4) edit /etc/make.conf to your liking.

4) emerge -e world

DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lain iwakura wrote:
(hmm, this thread should be locked. j/k :P )

guys, upgrading to the latest gcc is not that difficult. you do not need to wait for 1.4 to switch (don't quote me on this, though -- heheh.) 1.4 is just a version # for the installer.

1) emerge rsync

2)link to the latest make.profile (for gcc 2.0): ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-2.0 make.profile

3) /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh (or emerge gcc might work too, i think.)

4) edit /etc/make.conf to your liking.

4) emerge -e world

Locked :-)

MACPRO machine...
rasmus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Yep, it seems to work, but... Reply with quote

Hi, All.

I recently installed gentoo on my laptop (pIII/850), following my modified version of Spiders advice: First I built gcc 2.95.3 and the rest on my Athlon XP 1500+ (still running GCC 2.95.3-only), booted my laptop from my Gentoo-1.1 boot CD, changed the /etc/make.profile to /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-2.0 after the initial "emerge sync" (oops, using the 1.1 boot CD doesn't work straight away as it tries to sync with cvs.gentoo.org, but I don't consider that a big deal anymore. I figured out how to fix it last time, so apparently I did it again) and installed everything in the usual way after that, exemt that I changed the CFLAGS after bootstrapping. Built a PIII-optimized GCC-package, installed the 2.95.3-package and then the 3.2-package.

Everything works perfectly nice now, except for the fact that neither the java plugin (which has been discussed elsewhere) nor the GPLflash (which I will discuss elsewhere) plugin are detected by Mozilla or Galeon. :|

One thing that does bother me, however, is the fact that emerge -p clean says it will remove the GCC 2.95.3-compiled versions of binutils, glibc and textutils. Will this break things? Will I have to reinstall the packages after each emerge clean? I suppose a solution could be installing some dummy package which does nothing except depend on them, but I fell this would be horribly ugly.

Solutions, anyone?
nE0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to gcc3.2-r1
I recompiled my gcc with gcc3.2-r1 and everything is going great.
No I got to the point where I should enter:
# emerge -e world

but when I do that, I'm getting this error:
Code:

Asterix root # emerge -e world
Calculating world dependencies \
!!! Error: couldn't find match for || in sys-devel/binutils-2.13.90.0.4

Asterix root #

I have tried just emerging binutils, I ran emerge rsync, but to no avail.

Is this a knonw bug ??
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to update portage:
http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-August/014728.html
http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-August/014748.html
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been spending the afternoon switching my Gentoo box over to GCC 3.2. Haven't finished yet, so I'm using Windows XP to post, but I basically went for the full recompile. Switched profiles, ran bootstrap.sh (although I had to edit it to make it work as it was calling readlink incorrectly - this may have been an issue with me accidentally rendering my Linux system unbootable and having to get into it from my Gentoo 1.1a install CD though) and then started an rmerge - which didn't finish soon enough for my liking so I'm now having a break and will finish the compile tomorrow.

Something I've found extremely irritating is that the rmerge process occasionally wants to download a package, despite my understanding that it should only be installing packages I've installed before, and which to the best of my knowledge should thus have their sources in /usr/portage/distfiles already. This is especially annoying because I'm on a 56K modem and downloading all 11MB of MySQL takes ages. I cheated with GCC 3.2 and used a friend's broadband and CD writer. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be? Some of the packages in an emerge -p -e world come up as new as well, which also makes no sense to me!

Still, so far I've encountered no problems relating to compiling with GCC 3.2. I prepare to eat those words tomorrow...
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Default-2.0 replaced by 1.4 Reply with quote

Those following this thread to see the recipes for gcc 3.2 updates should note that the symbolic link that make.profile should point at has changed - check out this sticky thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=14436
Cardoe
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme start out quick by saying... WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG... This is not the proper way to upgrade...

I noticed someone mentioned get gcc-3.2 then get gcc-2.95 That's because they did the whole upgrade WRONG.

you need to rebootstrap your compiler and rebuild all your packages... emerge -e world will NOT work because world does not contain everything in it.

Your best bet is to ask carpaski about his upgrade script. All the other methods suggested and created by users thus far will only lead to problems.

Take my comments for what you might think they're worth... but I am one of the gcc-3.x guys for Gentoo.

Retired Gentoo Developer
Gentopia, MythTV, D-Bus
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to be quite right, there's all sorts of mess abounding in my system at the moment. It basically works, but getting it beyond that is a bit on the nightmarish side...
some_bob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: upgrading to 3.2 Reply with quote

Cardoe wrote:
Lemme start out quick by saying... WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG... This is not the proper way to upgrade...
Your best bet is to ask carpaski about his upgrade script. All the other methods suggested and created by users thus far will only lead to problems.

Take my comments for what you might think they're worth... but I am one of the gcc-3.x guys for Gentoo.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is carpaski and how do I ask him about his upgrade script?

btw- thanks for the post... I read the entire thread and was about to start upgrading my laptop when I saw your post...
IvoryTiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Carpaski scripts Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/~carpaski/system_update/

Just follow his instructions and download the 1,2,3,4 scripts and run in order.
some_bob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: ahhh, carpaski Reply with quote

ahhh, carpaski:

Nicholas Jones
Gentoo Linux Developer

I guess he would be a pretty good authoritative source... will be stepping off the cliff tonight (upgrade system from 1.2, gcc 2.95.3 - 1.4, gcc3.2) will let you all know how it goes...
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: is 1.4 ready for a new firewall box? Reply with quote

I am preparing to build a new firewall box for my home. Is the 1.4 ready for a fresh/new install, or for security should I stay with a 1.2 install?
I probably will be reary to begin a the end of the week.

Thanks ... Brian
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Carpaski scripts Reply with quote

IvoryTiger wrote:

I'd make it sticky with that one :-)

[edit] Oops: not sticky...locked :P
some_bob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: upgraded via carpaski's scripts... Reply with quote

the upgrade to a gcc 3.2 system via the scripts provided by carpaski could not have gone more smoothly. The only package that would not re-merge was MySQL... have to check that one out further.

I have a pretty good system (Dell C840 w/1.8 Ghz P4) and it still took about 4 or 5 hours though, although I had not run emerge -u word in quite a while so a lot of my packages were out of date... as long as you are up to date, it should not take long at all...
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I should be on a cable modem connection by next week, so I'll try those scripts then to let them be able to download as they please. My system's up and running enough for mail, the web, some IM and web development (all on GCC 3.2) so I can live with it until then!
mueller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpaski scripts Reply with quote

IvoryTiger wrote:

Ok, I did it. I followed the instructions word by word. But now, after the usual "Freeing unused kernel memory..."

Code:

INIT: version 2.84 booting
/bin/bash:error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
INIT: Entering runlivel:3
/bin/bash:error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes

Edit:
I got it:

chroot and then

ldd /bin/bash
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/libgcc_s.so.1 ...

why is bash linked to libgcc_s.so.1 after the upgrade??

thanks,
axel

Last edited by mueller on Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: word of warning Reply with quote

The upgrade process takes Hard disk space. I suggest getting rid of apps that you don't use if your space is getting tight. (My 4 giger got max'd out at 100%)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the plunge when rc1 came out. I had a spare partition lying around (sayonara, old Debian /usr) and here's how I did it, if anybody cares:
  • make and install a new kernel that supports reiserfs (because delta407 says it's the best :P)
  • make filesystem on spare partition
  • grab 1.4rc1 stage1 tarball
  • make /mnt/womb mount point
  • untar stage tarball across /mnt/womb
  • bind-mount /proc on /mnt/womb/proc
  • mount /mnt/womb/dev with devfs
  • chroot into /mnt/womb
  • copy /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/make.conf into /mnt/womb/etc
  • nice bootstrap.sh
  • nice emerge system
  • looking at /var/cache/edb/world, decide which things in the world file are really important and nicely emerge them in the womb
  • use "diff -ru" to compare /etc and /mnt/womb/etc
  • change stuff in /mnt/womb/etc that needs changing
  • cook a new 2.4.19-xfs kernel in the womb that supports both reiser and xfs also
  • outside the womb, copy that bzImage to /boot, and fix grub up so that it can boot either gentoo12 or gentoo14, with different kernels and different root partitions
  • copy /home to /mnt/womb/home
  • same for /usr/local
  • reboot into gentoo14
  • use rc-update to start things at boot time, emerge a few more things you forgot (like qmail)
  • install a bunch of xemacs packages that don't have ebuilds from within package-ui, which is a bit of a hassle
  • be very impressed at how smoothly it went
I am basically back to functioning on my main desktop machine, on which I type this now, with background emerging time less than a day, actual downtime only long enough to reboot and switch kernels, add init script stuff, and reboot again. Downtime where I couldn't read GnuPG-encrypted Japanese email (my litmus test of functionality): about an hour.

Thanks, respect, kudos and virtual beverages of choice to all the devs and early adopters that made this so easy. I think I started with Gentoo when GCC 3.1 was about where GCC 3.2 is now, in terms of stability and common use. GCC 3.1 was challenging on several fronts, especially as a first Gentoo installation. I had exactly one problem installing a GCC 3.2-based Gentoo system - and that was my fault forgetting to temporarily USE="-berkdb" the first time I tried to emerge the masked MySQL 4.0.1.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: