Quick Search: in
Hard lockup in X while emerging
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcarley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Hard lockup in X while emerging Reply with quote

After all of the help here in getting me up and running I was powering along in my new Gentoo installation when I hit a snag.

In KDE on a P4/GeForce4600 system while emerging cups i had a complete system lockup - sreen froze, no input worked, had to reboot. Not only that, a warm reset wouldn't even boot me into Windows (it blue screened) I had to power down for a while before restarting.

I am using the Nvidia drivers, standard gentoo patched kernel, everything built from scratch with low optimisations (unchanged from defaults).

Could this be a USB problem as that is what I have had the most trouble getting working? I could have inadvertently stuffed something up.

Any ideas on how I should go about diagnosing this?

Regards, Jason.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hard lockup in X while emerging Reply with quote

jcarley wrote:
standard gentoo patched kernel

This would be the first variable I would check. If you have another machine available, try to open an ssh session (and su to root in there, ahead of time, so you can do things like kill X) into this machine before you start doing your cups emerge again. That way you can know for certain if the machine is really locked up, or it is just X. As I said before, gentoo-sources would be the first thing I would change to see if anything improves. I would see if the problem persists even when using vanilla-sources.
jcarley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Does using vanilla sources break anything in particular?

Is it possible to emerge vanilla sources or am i best to just get them from kernel.org?

Also, is there any reason (other than general stability issues) that I can't use the 2.5 series kernels with my existing gentoo setup. Obviously I would only do this after resolving my current stability problem.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcarley wrote:
Thanks. Does using vanilla sources break anything in particular?

I suppose it depends what you mean by "break". There are some people who apparently cannot do without things like the low latency patches in the gentoo-sources, and so maybe they would consider that "broken", but in general, no.

Quote:
Is it possible to emerge vanilla sources or am i best to just get them from kernel.org?

You can do it either way. Just make sure you take care of /usr/src. What I would do is move the /usr/src/linux you have now to /usr/src/gentoo-kernel, and then put the vanilla sources in /usr/src/vanilla-kernel, and then just make /usr/src/linux a symlink you can switch back and forth as you please.

Quote:
Also, is there any reason (other than general stability issues) that I can't use the 2.5 series kernels with my existing gentoo setup.

You should be able to use 2.5 series kernels, but I have seen several forum-dwellers lament the "general stability issues", so back up important data and keep a rescue kernel handy if you try it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: