FreeBSD install complication...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: FreeBSD install complication... Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm waiting for 1.4 to come out before I install Gentoo on my laptop; I was gonna install 1.2 and then upgrade later, but I've heard lots of different opinions on that, so I'm just gonna wait.

On to the question......

At home I'm installing FreeBSD on my desktop (a Dell Dimension XPS T500) via CDROM. It's got a 500MHz processor, 6GB hard drive, 384 MB RAM, an Diamond Viper V770 video card with 16MB RAM, a Sound Blaster Live Value sound card, and a Netgear FA310 NIC....

ANYWAY, I get to the point where it actually installs the packages, and then it seems to lock up when it's installing cvsupit-3.1. There's no error message, just this:

ADDING PACKAGE/ALL/cvsupit-3.1.tgz From acd0c

Package cvsupit-3.1 read successfully - waiting for pkg_add(1)

That sounds like it would be a normal message, but in 2 attempts at install, I've gotten the same thing. Is that a NIC problem? Is it trying to go to the internet to do something, or is it just maybe a bad CD burn?Now, at hardware discovery it didn't find the exact module for my NIC, but I didn't see anywhere in the handbook where it said you had to have that driver done right then. So, I let it go...It let me put in my IP information without any problems later, so I thought it would be working fine. One thing that I noticed was a little strange was that when setting up the NIC, it asked me for my local DNS server, and I don't have one of those, so I gave it 198.6.1.5 (a UU Net server, if I'm not mistaken) as a DNS server. Could that cause the problem? I'm totally new to *BSD and a pretty big newbie to *nix in general :roll:, so any help would be appreciated! :lol:

Thanks, all!
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably isn't the best place to ask for support on FreeBSD. I've never used it and I'm sure that a lot of people on these forums aren't familiar with it enough to be able to help with a question like that. I would look at some of their support mechanisms. http://www.freebsd.org/support.html
Jester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks, I realized that after I had posted. I actually got the help I needed...thanks!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: