Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoktorSeven wrote:
I'm alone in this, I know, but I can't stand Enemy Territory. Something about the feel of it and the fact that there's no way to instantly tell friend from foe (as far as I can tell -- and I mean like UT's way, one team's red and one's blue. I think an ID comes up if you aim at them, but by then it's too late if they know you're a foe..).

I've tried many times only to quit in mid-battle in complete frustration and bewilderment...

Then I guess you've never played Counterstrike... Trust me, it's much worse. At least in Enemy Territory, all the axis look alike (black uniforms), and all the allies look alike (brown pants and beige shirt). In CS the terrorist team consists of one full white camouflage suit, two guerilla type guys with jeans and jacket, and a guy in brown pants and a green shirt. It's like a fruit salad, no consistency at all. At least the counter-terrorists do look similar (all blue suits except for one green), but the thing is the human brain has lots more difficulty sorting stuff by theme instead of color, so in the middle of a firefight it gets confusing as hell unless you're very experienced.
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMNED COUNTER-STRIKE!!!!! ARG... living in a dorm now and everyone plays that blasted game!!! Had a kid tell me the only reasons he plays are because its fun at he plays for the respect. RESPECT ITS A GAME, A BAD ONE AT THAT!!
Draco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the Final Fantasy Games.... except for Mystic Quest...that game was fun but the other ones I just dont like.
Daganoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draco wrote:
I dont like the Final Fantasy Games.... except for Mystic Quest...that game was fun but the other ones I just dont like.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Gandalf the White
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, me personally am a strategy fan, c&c sort of thing. Couple weeks ago I was going through some old cds of mine and stumbled across Total Annihilation, and holy crap does it SUCK! I can't believe I used to like that game, it's horrible, anyone can relate?
Daganoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf the White wrote:
Well, me personally am a strategy fan, c&c sort of thing. Couple weeks ago I was going through some old cds of mine and stumbled across Total Annihilation, and holy crap does it SUCK! I can't believe I used to like that game, it's horrible, anyone can relate?

I sure can. I was hooked on that game for some time for a month or so, mostly due to peer pressure. I remember the worst part was how utterly unbalanced the game was. When learning, it wasn't half bad. I thought the graphics and gameplay were good. Once you figured out the tech true, game was about as much fun as scratching your ass.
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's my least favorite game of all time but Sewer Shark for the segacd was really awful.
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on CounterStrike. I totally hate that game as well.

I once went to a LAN-party where they turned out to really like CS and play it most of the time so I had to. Never done it much before that.
Had to play it one freekin' weekend long fulltime and it sucked.
Gameplay is crap, sounds are especially big time crap and I never could tell the difference between friend and foe which led to more and more teamkillings and ppl shouting at me :p

Also, the more tired I became, the less visible the difference between friend and foe seemed to be :p

OMG DO I HATE THAT GAME! IT SHOULD'VE DIED 3 YEARS AGO!
AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR2
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
nVidia-drivers version 9755
PovMan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: The foes are the ones shooting at you. Wait - that could be friends too 8O
Ok, where's the cs haters webring?
2Lab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't stand any of the UT games, the weapons are too silly and the physics make it seem like the world is made of foam rubber.
CS is still the only game to make me regret wiping windows from my machine, after all these years it's still the top team fps, wolf ET I find ok but It lacks the 'dead time' of cs, wich was great for getting to know the people you play with (and et has rocket lanuchers :roll: ).
as for people looking different in CS - all the CTs wear dark blue/black suits, wtf? how difficult is that, but then that why newbie servers don't have FF :P

In fact if it wasn't for steam (valve suck the proverbial large one) I'd have probably put a windows partion in just for CS.

/em shuffles off ashamed of secret windows desire:oops:

Though the game I really hate is EVE online, not that you can play it on linux, thank god, or that it's bad (it's not), it's the fact that it stole six months of my life, all my spare waking hours, and many of them I shouldn't have been awake for ;), when I cancled my account, I uninstalled the game, burnt a live CD, and formated C: for the last time.
Gandalf the White
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teknomage1 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's my least favorite game of all time but Sewer Shark for the segacd was really awful.

How Dare You? That game rocked! For about 5 minutes at least.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st on the list is COUNTER STRIKE, even tough i don't hate the game as much as the community.

2nd RUNE, was so much of an ass boring game, i could cry on the tought of having it bought.

3rd NEOCRON is the new home of elite cs-is-no-longer-cool-enough shithead guys.

4th Star Trek BRIDGE COMMANDER. they made so many promises, that crappy game could not provide.

5th finally i name DAOC. crappy graphics, crappy sounds, stupid ideas and taking about 99% of one of my best friends wake time. i hate you guys from mythic, may your money eat you alive.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Lab wrote:
I really can't stand any of the UT games, the weapons are too silly and the physics make it seem like the world is made of foam rubber.

Yes indeed! I could never like QuakeIII as much as the previous two installations for the same reason. There's just an entirely different feeling that you get from a game like Quake1 or better yet Enemy Territory when firing a weapon, and charging around a level, like it's actually real... it gives it a bit of atmosphere for one thing.

The other game, or in fact genre, I'd have to dump in the bin would be ALL role play games! They're just dull, damnit, go and do some real role play with other people, it's much better! And I really can't stand people waxing lyrical about how random and "un-linear" the games are... for goodness' sakes, there are still predefined goals and a restrictive world. Hmph.

And perhaps just about anything with anime in :roll:
dvNuLL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow so many CS haters ..

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:

In CS the terrorist team consists of one full white camouflage suit, two guerilla type guys with jeans and jacket, and a guy in brown pants and a green shirt. It's like a fruit salad, no consistency at all.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that Axis and Allied forces in the WW2 games that you play have uniforms ? Anyways in cs you have a cvar which sets all Ts to one model and all CTs to one model

cl_minmodels "1"

I play CS competitively now and i *do* agree that playing CS on most public servers is a waste of time with complete retards who are usually racist and obnoxious. Then again I have found the same type of people on BF1942 and Urban Terror.

When playing scrims etc on CS 5 v 5 its a bit more fun especially now that the whole aspect of outthinking your opponent comes into play.

- dvnull
a.k.a ex.inferis - prammy
#ex.inferis on gamesnet
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvNuLL wrote:
I play CS competitively now and i *do* agree that playing CS on most public servers is a waste of time with complete retards who are usually racist and obnoxious.

That's true, but then that's just kiddies rebelling in ways that don't matter and conforming in ways that do, to paraphrase john raustan saul (sorry, just love that idea at the moment :)).

One thing I found weird was when I went on a US server, and people were so much more racist. In fact, I don't really remember any racism in my CS days on UK servers, but then I entered this server and someone started ranting on about "sand niggers" 8O.
dvNuLL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been playing CS since beta7 ( i.e circa Nov 2000 ) and so far its been getting bad in the past year or so.

I would play on a public server and usually within about 5 minutes some random 13yr old e-thug would harp on about n*g*ers and so on and so forth. Usually i either dont play there again or i ignore it and shoot the offender.

If its in an official match, I take screenshots and submit them to the league admins. Racism and bigotry are now bannable offences in CAL and UGS.

If its in a scrim, i ignore and after defeating them ( you would be surprised how most obnoxious players also suck at the game ) I usually make a remark like " if you MUST talk shit, at the very least WIN the damn game"

But yea, Euro servers have more cheaters, US servers have more idiots.

- ex.inferis - prammy
#ex.inferis on gamesnet
Cornfed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 EverQuest for sucking a year of my life away from me. Man that was dumb

#2 Sims for making me feel like a terd.

As I was playing The Sims, slowly it dawned on me that my little sim was living the good life. Married, nice house, great job. Plays chess, the piano, paints, has parties. Lots of friends. To get those promotions I never sat him down and played computer games. I had him lift weights, read books, and call people over. What the hell was *I* doing? Playing a damn game instead of working to get a better job/life. Whoa, that pretty much ended my gaming.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo and any of the GTA games.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Halo and any of the GTA games.

Halo yes

as for GTA: 8O are you allright ? feeling well, you just said that GTA: Vice City is not a good game.
antibiotic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy 11.... I hate that game with all my passion. First off all, they slacked off in graphics aspect, big time. Lemme try to word it... Characters look like Mother Nature gave them birth out of her ass while having a violent migrane. To avoid further questions, look at Lineage2 website and see the difference. Having such graphical computing power at their disposal, designers really could fix the models up, big time. Whats up with tiny heads?? They look totally disproportional? If its an attempt to make characters look buff, its a really really sad one. And also, why male characters faces all look like they want to murder every living being, and all female characters are all smiling like they've just got laid?? What is it, some hidden sexual appeal at works? Gah...

Secondly, whats up with colours? First I looked at the screenshots, and I'm thinking to myself "Why everything is covered in cow waste?" That MUSTVE been bad screenshotting... And then I played the game, and I'm like "Hey, they ARE all covered in cow waste"... Honestly, whats up with that colour pallete... It really makes you think that the game was made by the bunch of melancholics who will hang themselves any minute because world is so dull and cruel.

And lastly and the most.... I HATE THOSE MIDGETS!!! Whatever the hell they're called there.... Those little hideous bastards, I think you know what I'm talking about here... For the love of god, which sick imagination created those abominations? What is it, some kind of japanese mad dwarf with Pikachu(tm) Retarded(tm) grin? AAAAAAAAAAAGH.... Christ...

Aaaanyway, I'm flushed with hate... I'll go kill myself now...Sounds like a plan.
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antibiotic wrote:
Aaaanyway, I'm flushed with hate... I'll go kill myself now...Sounds like a plan.

Ive got a better plan: Take some of the FF11 game designers with you when you leave this planet. Thanks in advance. ;-)
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Counter-Strike community has my vote for going down hill faster than any other mod community in gaming history.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm feeling fine. I find the games' soundtracks to be annoying, the storyline to be rather dumb, and in general the game seems a bit too much like real life. I generally play games to escape reality, not assume another identity in the same reality.
Ziraku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both CS and the sims bother me to no end
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Red Nalie wrote:
Black & White *shiver*

What!? That was a fucking good game once you got into it.

Although I hated the introduction/tutorial which you just couldn't skip and too almost an hour to get through. It made starting new games hell.

Black & White sucked. The tutorial was the best part. After that it was either too hard or too easy all the time. Gameplay balance was way out of wack. The feeling I got after playing B&W for a week was a slight pain. On top of it all, the whole thing was hyped way out of porportion.

Impossible Creatures
Awesome idea, looked good, Microsoft bought them out, screwed up the entire thing.

Halo
Same freaking story as Impossible Creatures.

Sims
Fun game, but seriously, it does not take anyone on the face of the planet 4 hours to finish a bag of chips. Making coffee takes 30 minutes tops, not 2 hours. Sims do not need to take hour long showers. WTF is up with time in this game.

[edit]
Runescape
Java is crap. Nothing should be written with java. Especially not 3d mmorpg's.
[/edit]

Yeah, there's probably more games I despise, but it's almost 1 am and I need to sleep.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: