View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: skip to end of file? Reply with quote

Anyone know how to jump to the end of a file with nano? Is this possible? I have log files that are huge and viewing them with nano without being able to skip to the end kinda sucks. I have the feeling I should probably be using vi instead......
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: skip to end of file? Reply with quote

HeadHolio wrote:
Anyone know how to jump to the end of a file with nano? Is this possible? I have log files that are huge and viewing them with nano without being able to skip to the end kinda sucks. I have the feeling I should probably be using vi instead......

Well, if holding down PgDn isn't an option for you, open a file with "nano <filename> +<linenumber>". So says man nano; if you know the line number you want, add it after the plus sign.

Better yet, since you're just viewing text (instead of writing it), use the tail utility. Try "tail -n 30 <filename>"; 30 is the number of lines to display from the end of the file. Adjust the number as you see fit. To get the last 27 lines of /var/log/messages, do:
Code:
# tail -n 27 /var/log/messages
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: skip to end of file? Reply with quote

HeadHolio wrote:
I have log files that are huge and viewing them with nano without being able to skip to the end kinda sucks.

less <logfile>
press 'G' to jump to the end ('g' for beginning)
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, "less" is better for viewing logfiles. You can search by pressing "/" as well.
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Perfect Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think i'll use less from now on cause I usually don't know how many lines are in the log files.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect Reply with quote

HeadHolio wrote:
Thanks guys. I think i'll use less from now on cause I usually don't know how many lines are in the log files.
Another option is:
Code:
vim + <filename>
which takes you directly to the end of the file. Also, you can use "/" in vim to start searching if you want, "gg" to go to beginning of file, "G" to go to end of file.
nickel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, to programm (c++, c or java), write textfiles and so on, i use emacs. It has has so many cool things. Theres xemacs, for x system, but i never use it
djpharoah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try gedit
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpharoah wrote:
try gedit

If you read his first post, you might have noticed that he specifically didn't want something bundled with (or has dependecies for) KDE or Gnome. gedit is one of Gnome's dependencies. :roll:

Though I will say that gedit is a fine program; it gets the job done and is great for doing XML/XHTML/Javascript/CSS editing . . . its syntax highlighting is great, too.
brianahr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: scite Reply with quote

Im surprised no one has suggested SciTE ( http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html ). Dont let the screenshot on their website fool you, this thing is actually quite awesome. Heres a screen of it running on my system: http://150.135.84.22/scite.jpeg
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: scite Reply with quote

brianahr wrote:
Im surprised no one has suggested SciTE ( http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html ). Dont let the screenshot on their website fool you, this thing is actually quite awesome. Heres a screen of it running on my system: http://150.135.84.22/scite.jpeg

That looks like a more generic version of gedit (if that's possible :wink: ). Nice, though.
blidside
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribes,
scribes.sourceforge.net

kinda cool concept - let the window manger manage windows, file manager manage files, and let scribes be a lightwight, syntax friendly editor.
brims
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to view the last part of a log file you can use tail, default is the last 10 lines. If you want 16 lines, do tail -n <number> <logfile>.
Urban Cowboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: scite Reply with quote

brianahr wrote:

First page, 6th post.

EDIT: Whoops.. holy two years dead thread revival batman!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: