Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howto author AVI->DVD with menus using Linux only !
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pzasso
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am waiting for Transcode to get fixed, I am experimenting with other ways of getting my home movies to DVD. I have listed the steps below and am curious if my current end result will improve with the use of Transcode for encoding? This is nothing more than a bunch steps that I have gathered from various sites. I have no idea if this is a good way to get the job done or not. Some processes talk about creating an iso file before burning it out to dvd. I am unclear on why that might be needed?

1. I use Kino to pull in the video from my camcorder

2. I use avimerge to create one large avi file

3. lav2wav +p myfile.avi | mp2enc -V -o audio.mp2

4. lav2yuv +p myfile.avi | mpeg2enc -n n -f 8 -s -r 16 -o video.mlv

5. mplex -f 8 audio.mp2 video.mlv -o endresult.mpg

6. dvdauthor -o finalproduct endresult.mpg

7. dvdauthor -o finalproduct -T

8. Test it out with xine

9. growisofs to burn it to DVD.

My end result is a pretty clear DVD, but I think it could be better. I have only attempted this using Linux and have no plans to go the Wiindows route, although I have seen some pretty good output from people who have used TMPGenc for their encoding.

All feedback is welcome.

Thank You

--Paul
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiznix wrote:
viperlin wrote:
little question, i just bumped into a problem, the video is in a widescreen style format and converting it distorts it into streched upwards style video (like when people watch widescreen films in full TV view so they have tall heads.) guess i'd better start again on the video figuring this bit out :-)

Have you tried playing with enforcing the aspect ratios ?
4:3 would be a good start. :wink:

ok how the hell do you do that :-)
i've read the manpage and according to it using the normal size with -Z (the standard PAL size) and the --keep_asr option it will make the video have black bars top and bottom in order to keep aspect ratio. so i'm using this:
Code:

transcode -i Film\ -\ Ghost\ In\ The\ Shell.avi -V -Z 720x576 --keep_asr -y mpeg -F d,1 -E 48000 -b 224 -o gits

the way the manpage explains it working is like this:
Code:

--keep_asr
           try to keep aspect ratio (only with -Z) [off]

The --keep_asr options changes the meaning of -Z. It tries to fit the video into a framesize specified by -Z by
           keeping the original aspect ratio.
           /------------------------\                                             /---480-------\
           |                         |                                           | black         |
           |720x306 = 2.35:1| -> -Z 480x480 --keep_asr ->  |-----------------4
           |                         |                                           | 480x204    8
           \------------------------/                                            |-----------------0
                                                                                 | black         |
                                                                                 \-----------------/
           Consider --keep_asr a wrapper for calculating -Y options and -Z options

however it does not work, the video is streched still on normal playback instead of being a rectangular shape

also the in the notes i tried the enforcing 4:3 and still nothing changed
Anterion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

however it does not work, the video is streched still on normal playback instead of being a rectangular shape

also the in the notes i tried the enforcing 4:3 and still nothing changed

Try to give transcode the asr you want to get in the end. Usually it should autodetect and use the right ASR, but I've discovered that it doesn't work sometimes or that I misunderstand the concept. :D
Add --import_asr X and --export_asr Y to the --keep_asr option. For example 16:9 to 4:3 (adding black borders at the top and bottom):

Code:

transcode -i Film\ -\ Ghost\ In\ The\ Shell.avi -V -Z 720x576 --keep_asr -y mpeg -F d,1 -E 48000 -b 224 -o gits --import_asr 3 --export_asr 2

Maybe this helps?
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:-D
thankyou

sorry for this but i struggle with video a bit, it's like my little weakness, and my dad being perfect at it on windows don't help (PVR/DVD Guru) but he's never used transcode :-(
desh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a spot of bother with some transcoding, I wonder if anyone knows what's up here...

I transcoded the Simpon's THX spoof without any problems, using shiznix's original command-line. The mplex'd audio & video stream plays fine in mplayer and xine.

Now I'm trying to transcode a MPEG PES stream - recorded as an MPEG transport stream from a DVB card, and converted to program stream with the ts2ps utility (part of dvbtools). Both the raw TS stream and the PS stream play fine in mplayer and xine.

However, when I transcode as follows:

Code:
transcode -i input.mpg -M 0 -y mpeg -F d,1 -E 48000 -b 224 -o test1
mplex -o test1.mpg test1.mpa test.m2v

The resulting movie is just a blank screen, in mplayer and xine. The audio is fine, but no picture. I don't get any errors during transcoding - at least, nothing that seems fatal to my untrained eye:

Code:
$ transcode -i input.mpg -M 0 -y mpeg -F d,1 -E 48000 -b 224 -o test1
transcode v0.6.11 (C) 2001-2003 Thomas Oestreich, 2003 T. Bitterberg
[transcode] (probe) suggested AV correction -D 10 (400 ms) | AV 420 ms | 20 ms
[transcode] auto-probing source input.mpg (ok)
[transcode] V: import format    | MPEG-2  (V=null|A=vob)
[transcode] V: AV demux/sync    | (0) sync AV at PTS start - demuxer disabled
[transcode] V: import frame     | disabled
[transcode] V: bits/pixel       | 0.000 (unknown)
[transcode] V: decoding fps,frc | 25.000,0
[transcode] A: import format    | 0x50    MPEG layer-2 [48000,16,2]  256 kbps
[transcode] A: export format    | 0x50    MPEG layer-2 [48000,16,2]  224 kbps
[transcode] V: encoding fps,frc | 25.000,3
[transcode] A: bytes per frame  | 7680 (7680.000000)
[transcode] A: adjustment       | 0@1000
[transcode] V: IA32 accel mode  | 3dnow (3dnow mmxext mmx asm)
[transcode] V: video buffer     | 10 @ 0x0
[import_vob.so] v0.6.0 (2003-10-02) (video) MPEG-2 | (audio) MPEG/AC3/PCM | (subtitle)
[import_null.so] v0.2.0 (2002-01-19) (video) null | (audio) null
[export_mpeg.so] v1.2.3 (2003-08-21) (video) MPEG 1/2 | (audio) MPEG 1 Layer II
[import_vob.so] tccat -i "input.mpg" -t vob -d 0 -S 0 | tcdemux -a 0 -x mp3 -S 5 -M 0 -d 0 | tcextract -t vob -a 0 -x mp2 -d 0 | tcdecode -x mp2 -d 0

INFO: using reference profile (DVD)
INFO: profile type is (PAL)
INFO: resize from w/h (0/0) to (w/h) (352/288)
encoding frames [000000-000092],  69.30 fps, EMT: 0:00:03, ( 0| 0| 9)

Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks!

Update: so the "import format MPEG-2 (V=null)" doesn't look good, nor does "import frame | disabled". Looking on the transcode mailing lists, there was a similar question in 2002 about this, but no final answer. I've retried with "-x mpeg2,mp3" option to transcode, but no luck - still a blank video.

I've also tried converting to AVI with mencoder (I noticed the "-oac lavc" option doesn't work, so I used "-oac copy"). mencoder segfaulted on this after creating a partial AVI - this AVI plays OK in mplayer too, but immediately crashes transcode. Ho hum.

I'd be interested to know if anyone at all has had success in transcoding program streams...

Last edited by desh on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzasso wrote:
I have only attempted this using Linux and have no plans to go the Wiindows route, although I have seen some pretty good output from people who have used TMPGenc for their encoding.

All feedback is welcome.

Thank You

--Paul

don't you worry, wine people have done a good job. TMPGEnc works with wine out of box...I have encoded my DV footage with it.
Anterion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desh wrote:

Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks!

no final answer. I've retried with "-x mpeg2,mp3" option to transcode, but no luck - still a blank video.

Just a blind shot on my side here... try to use "-x mpeg3" Transcode will try to use libmpeg3 (must be installed, it's not part of transcode) to decode the MPEG2 stream.

See ya,

Anterion
kabutor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read!

A question, how can I add a sub or srt file as subtitles to the DVD?

:idea:
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desh wrote:
Now I'm trying to transcode a MPEG PES stream - recorded as an MPEG transport stream from a DVB card, and converted to program stream with the ts2ps utility (part of dvbtools). Both the raw TS stream and the PS stream play fine in mplayer and xine.

The resulting movie is just a blank screen, in mplayer and xine. The audio is fine, but no picture. I don't get any errors during transcoding - at least, nothing that seems fatal to my untrained eye.

Hi desh,
James Tappin's Howto at -> http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/dvd.html
is based on encoding/burning DVB to DVD, though he uses a camcorder & not a capture card, both are DVB devices & so should still be relevant (uses Kino).
Note that I don't own any DVB devices to test this :|
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabutor wrote:
A question, how can I add a sub or srt file as subtitles to the DVD?

Interesting question, & one idea I've not had the chance to toy with yet.
However, here's a start -> http://zebra.fh-weingarten.de/~maxi/html/transcode-users/2003-11/msg00296.html

Let us know if it works out :)
desh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "-x mpeg3" doesn't help either - still just a blank video. James Tappin's guide doesn't tell me much either, unfortunately - it doesn't seem very relevant to DVB.

I'll probably have a play with avidemux and/or kino next and see if I can export anything useful from there... thanks for the pointers though, guys.

-Des.
ajayrockrock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: funky colors... Reply with quote

I finally got around to getting some screenshots of the funky colors (the red streaks through the picture):

http://www.odc.net/~ssharma/curb1.png

http://www.odc.net/~ssharma/curb2.png

I haven't tried burning a dvd yet but is that green bar at the bottom normal? This is for an NTSC disc, by accident I encoded a PAL version and the green bar wasn't there...

thanks,
ajay

PS. oh and mplayer always crashes when I try to play the final mpg file (right before I use dvdauthor). I can only preview the file with xine which is strange since mplayer *rarely* crashes.
kabutor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That strange colors happen to me, i have to adjust the video almost manually, I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that is a problem with the resizing .. but I'm a newbie so..

I did it this way :

Code:
transcode -i video.avi -V -y mpeg,mp2enc -F d,0 -E 48000 -b 224 -o video -m audio -Y -80,0 -Z 720 --export_asr 3

And it works.. just start transcoding and in another console watch the video output to see that is correct, if not play with the -Y and -Z values..

-----------

About the subtitles I don't see a fast solution, because the link provided up there is for subtitles in pgm format, the original dvd format, and not the SUBRIP format, and to convert it you have to:

1- Create a PNG image for each subtitle line
2- Create and XML file with the timing of that image.

Is needed someone with high scripting skill (not me) :D
ChrisCol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzasso wrote:
While I am waiting for Transcode to get fixed...

I have had exactly the same problem as you. Temporarily solved by downgrading to version 0.6.10.

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/media-video/transcode/transcode-0.6.10.ebuild

Hope that helps...
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAMPS is a fast requantizer for ripping streams from a DVD and compressing them ready for further use with DVDauthor.

Get it here:
ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0401-094.tgz

Sample usage:

Rip the stream Track 1 Chap 1 angle 1:
#vamps-play_title /dev/dvd 1 1 1 > chapter01.mpg

Compressing the Stream using audio channels 1+2, subchannel 3 with factor 1.5
# vamps -E 1.5 -a 1,2 -s 3 < chapter01.mpg > c_chapter01.mpg
ChrisCol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick hint:

The LATEST transcode - v0.6.12 supports a simplified command ling for dvd mpeg encoding:

Code:
XXX@XXX$ transcode -i <I/P_F_NAME> -V --export_prof dvd-pal -o <O/P_F_NAME>

In the above command 'dvd-pal' can be replaced with any one of:
vcd, vcd-pal, vcd-ntsc, svcd, svcd-pal, svcd-ntsc, dvd, dvd-pal and dvd-ntsc

This sets all the required options and converts to the format you request. I believe it also sorts out the aspect ratios for you...

See: http://zebra.fh-weingarten.de/~transcode/man1/transcode.1.html for more info.

Incase anyone is as new to this as me then to get this version I:

1)Copied the ebuild file:

'/usr/portage/media-video/transcode/transcode-0.6.11.ebuild'
to
'/usr/local/portage/media-video/transcode/transcode-0.6.12.ebuild'

then, making sure the PORTAGE_OVERLAY line is uncommented in /etc/make.conf, typed:

Code:
XXX@XXX $ ebuild /usr/local/portage/media-video/transcode/transcode-0.6.12.ebuild digest

Then:
Code:
XXX@XXX $ emerge transcode

This failed onece, with a message about mmx support patch not veing available. To solve this I comment out the line that tries to patch the source tar.gz in the ebuild file.
Code:
#       epatch ${FILESDIR}/${P}-no-mmx.patch

This makes life easier for me so I guess it may for someone else.[/url]
jammib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Hey pzasso Reply with quote

Hi pzasso,

I too got the same problems that you experienced with transcode, I ran an emerge -vp transcode and noticed it wasn't using mmx or sse. After adding mmx and sse to my use flags (I was sure I did this when I first configured my system?), transcode runs fine.

I hope this helps

Jammib
MetalSlug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: IFO files Reply with quote

Does anyone know why dvdauthor would not make a VIDEO_TS.IFO. It finishes turning the mpgs into vobs (3 titles, one titleset) and makes the VTS_01_0.IFO and .BUP. Then it says that is is making table of contents but gives an error message "No .IFO files to process" or something to that effect. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks
revo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: problems generating menus Reply with quote

hey, cool to have found this thread, as i had no luck to install MyDVD with crossoveroffice/wine...
but i got problems generating the menus. when i follow the first post, ia always get a blank screen when i play the dvd, except the *highlighted* part, which is visible. i do hear my sound. in xine, i can click on any part of the screen and it will start the *first* movie. no chance to start the second. further investigation revealed, that spumux always recognized *one* subtitle, which in fact is the whole image. i tried to manually write the places of the buttons into spumux.xml, but i didn't get it, i always get errors, because i don't really understand the syntx. manpage doesn't help a lot. if anyone has a sample spumux.xml file with manually defined buttons or could point me into a direction why spumus recognizes the whole screen as a button, i'd be very happy. :-)

revo
MetalSlug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Well, my problem with the generation of VIDEO_TS.IFO was solved by the realization of a very annoying fact. My DVD was being made on a FAT32 partition (only drive with the space left) and was mixing up the case sensitivity. Dvdauthor was expecting VTS_01_0.IFO and was getting vts_01_0.ifo but FAT32 doesn't note any difference between the two. It was solved by putting the .IFO file in a empty dvd structure on a more modern file system (reiserfs) and running dvdauthor -o directory_here -T , then transfering the resulting files back to the FAT32 partition. This should not be a common problem but I thought that I would explain just in case.
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across a video last night that when encoded, had the same diagonal red streaks running through it that Viperlin & ajayrock mentioned.
The problem lies with transcode's internal mpeg encoder not encoding properly on some DivX.
The solution is to tell transcode to use the external mpeg2enc program to encode, like this:
Code:
transcode -V -i <input_file> -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -F4,"-n p -f 8" -b 224 -E 48000 -o <output_name>

Howto updated to reflect this, see there for more detail.

Thanx 8)
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisCol wrote:
Quick hint:

The LATEST transcode - v0.6.12 supports a simplified command ling for dvd mpeg encoding:

Code:
XXX@XXX$ transcode -i <I/P_F_NAME> -V --export_prof dvd-pal -o <O/P_F_NAME>

In the above command 'dvd-pal' can be replaced with any one of:
vcd, vcd-pal, vcd-ntsc, svcd, svcd-pal, svcd-ntsc, dvd, dvd-pal and dvd-ntsc

This sets all the required options and converts to the format you request. I believe it also sorts out the aspect ratios for you...

This command line is much nicer however, a couple of points:

• The '-E 48000 -b 224' audio part is still necessary to get a DVD compliant audio stream.
  • The encoding is much slower. About 5 times slower than
    Code:
    transcode -i matrix.mpg -V -y mpeg -F d,1 -E 48000 -b 224 -o matrix
    Although this sometimes produces strange colour streaks.

And about half as slow as
    Code:
    transcode -V -i matrix.mpg -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc --export_asr 2 -F4,"-n p -f 8" -b 224 -E 48000 -o matrix
    Which usually always works.

Latest transcode 0.6.12 is in portage, there's also been an update to mjpegtools (1.6.1.92)

Cheers,
Shiznix
shiznix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: problems generating menus Reply with quote

revo wrote:
hey, cool to have found this thread, as i had no luck to install MyDVD with crossoveroffice/wine...
but i got problems generating the menus. when i follow the first post, ia always get a blank screen when i play the dvd, except the *highlighted* part, which is visible. i do hear my sound. in xine, i can click on any part of the screen and it will start the *first* movie. no chance to start the second. further investigation revealed, that spumux always recognized *one* subtitle, which in fact is the whole image. i tried to manually write the places of the buttons into spumux.xml, but i didn't get it, i always get errors, because i don't really understand the syntx. manpage doesn't help a lot. if anyone has a sample spumux.xml file with manually defined buttons or could point me into a direction why spumus recognizes the whole screen as a button, i'd be very happy. :-)

I'm baffled as to what it could be. You might try the dvdauthor mailing list here -> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dvdauthor-users
Be sure to include the spumux.xml file you're using when/if you post there.
revo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: problems generating menus Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. :)
But in the meantime i found out what i was doing wrong. I used your sample pictures and realized that i didn't choose "transpaency" for the menu_highlight and menu_select but used "background" when i created the new layers.
Now it works like a charm :)
Thanks for your cool guide!

revo
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok is there any special "speed up" option? i just ask because whenever i encode a video file (the same file actually) it goes at different speeds, same command. like at this very moment i was going to encode a film and watch it, but it's going at 17fps.

last time i did this it was going at 43fps

it just seems completely random to me. same things running and everything, same conditions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 3 of 31

Jump to: