Quake III timedemo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Quake III timedemo Reply with quote

I'm doing some benchmarking on my machine. I've installed quake3 but it doesn't have any demos as default on the emerge. Anyone know where I can download demo001 or demo002? Is it possible to extract them out of the CD?

Once I have a demo where do I place them? I've tried the Crusher Demo placed into /opt/quake3/baseq3/demos dir but it's not showing up. Any idea? :)
Pozac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of quake3 is incompatible with the demo001 and demo002 demos, and the extension of demos has been changed to .dm_67
I found a demo called "ocau_slayer.dm_67" on www.overclockers.com.au .. my score was 19fps :) (Celeron 710, Radeon 8500 w/ oss drivers)
Pozac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed quake3 in /usr/local/games/quake3 , demos in quake3/baseq3/demos .. do the demos show up in the demos list? or just not run?
Try running quake3 from terminal, and look at the output
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Pozac ... it's kinda working better :) The Demos actually show up now in the demos list (the change od extension sorted that) but they're not playing. I run the timedemo and they just come back to the main screen immediately. There doesn't seem to be errors of signs in the terminal output though :cry:

Oh Pozac, you know of any other Nvidia overclocking tool apart from nvclock? That seem to crash my GF3 at memory past 500 and the core past 200. I run it at 255/555 in XP so I know it can manage :)
Pozac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try opening the console in quake3, and type

/timedemo 1
/map <mapname>

(don't forget the /'s)

Or you could try renaming the file to uppercase. When I first tried selecting a demo, the error in the terminal was OCAU_SLAYER.DM_67 not found. A rename to resemble that fixed it. :)

NVClock is the only tool I've heard of, maybe thats because I have an ATI card :)
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr ... It not working :? I get

Code:

/timedemo 1
/map q3crusher
can't find map maps/q3crusher.bsp

I assume bsp's are map files rather than demos. Pozac, I've had a look at OCA's site but I think they've taken down their downloads :(

The funny thing is I can run these http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/files/UCGuideDemos131.zip I've unziped the pk3 file and just contains the demos within the 'demos' dir. Weird. Perhaps the new release of quake3 aren't compatable with my demo files anymore.
Pozac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried
/map q3crusher.dm_67 ?
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheer Pozac, I tried that. I think it the demos. There pretty old and proberbly not compatable anymore. I'll have a look around for some newer demos :)

If you want to test the crusher demo it's here http://www.aoaforums.com/files/index.php?dir=158 :D
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeChuck wrote:
Cheer Pozac, I tried that. I think it the demos. There pretty old and proberbly not compatable anymore. I'll have a look around for some newer demos :)

If you want to test the crusher demo it's here http://www.aoaforums.com/files/index.php?dir=158 :D

Thanks for that link, will try it out

Cheers
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try out the Torture demo it's here http://www.overclock.co.uk/files.php and the Quaver demo http://www.ve3d.com/3dpulpit/Q3Arena/Quake3A.html which are pretty 'benchmark' benchmarks :)
invaderzim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are all different versions....the current version is 1.31, and almost all the demos on the net wont work for it :( otherwise i would show you my score... if anyone wants a demo i made asshole2 =) the i will e-mail it i get 75fps in it
invaderzim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: ermm wrong score Reply with quote

my bad i get 65 in it, my buddy with a 1900+ and Radeon 8500 gets 70, and my buddy with a 1900+ and a Geforce3 gets 80fps

settings are 1600x1200 32-bit textures and screen mode, trilinear filtering, max texture quality and model geometry.
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invaderzim wrote:
they are all different versions....the current version is 1.31, and almost all the demos on the net wont work for it :( otherwise i would show you my score... if anyone wants a demo i made asshole2 =) the i will e-mail it i get 75fps in it

Yeah I'm always up for new benches ... donutdel@btinternet.com :D ... Cheers Invaderzim
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate ... thats some seriously large demo :) ... I would have thought your Radeon would have peed over my GF3 but I got:
Code:

17319 frames. 154.6 seconds 112.0 fps

Thats with no antialising on a Pentium4 1.8G @ 2.4G and a non clocked GF3. It would have been nice to try it on my P4 1.6G @ 2.6G but kinda fried it a few weeks back with pumping too much voltage in it for too long ... doesn't run stable at any speed atm :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: