View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imrambi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Second monitor display becomes corrupted Reply with quote

I am running a GeForce 9500 GT (yes, old, I know) with nouveau driver with XFCE. After a short while, the second monitor will no longer display any windowing, but will show corrupted imaging in the top 100 pixels or so, but only when the mouse is on the screen. Otherwise nothing is shown, but the monitor is getting a signal. This image seems to repeat 6 times as it goes across horizontally. The mouse will display correctly though and will move across the display just fine, just no windowing, no matter what application (Chrome, Firefox, Thunar, evince, etc).

If I make any image changes to the second monitor (scale, rotation, or reflection), the display will then appear correctly given these changes. Changing the scale introduces mouse pointer problems such as a lagging and trailing pointer, a flickering box around the pointer and overall slowness. My monitors do not rotate, so I can't use rotation.

What could be wrong? It seems that is might be software as I can restart and the display seems fine. I don't know if it has something to deal with Chrome as it seems to happen with Chrome, but even if I disable all video card processing, the issue still arises.

emerge --info: https://pastebin.com/xGxh4AJt
kernel .config: https://pastebin.com/YjVcmNE2
Banana

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The over time is the hard part and sounds to me more like a hardware problem. Temperature, cable, loose connection etc.

If you do have the option try to replace the cable, make sure the graphc card is placed corretly on the motherboard, use another PC or Laptop, reset your Monitor settings.

On the software side you could try other applications or even another desktop enviroment. Also make sure your drivers are up to date.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
imrambi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a hardware problem because I can restart X and the screen goes back to normal. Also, if it was hardware, it should affect everything on the screen, not just windowing (mouse shows up fine). Also when I shutdown, the console displays just find. I am update to date with all drivers. Using xrandr instead of the XFCE monitor settings app produces same results.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: