Systemd unlock LUKS2 with FIDO -- pin assertion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Systemd unlock LUKS2 with FIDO -- pin assertion Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have encrypted home partition, and I use FIDO2 key to unlock it. My /etc/crypttab looks like this:
Code:

crypt-home /dev/mapper/latitude7230_disc-home_encrypted none luks,discard,fido2-device=auto

I followed more or less this steps to set it up: https://amedeos.github.io/gentoo/2021/04/25/Unlock-rootfs-with-fido2-key.html

Normally when I boot, the prompt should appear that I could type the PIN and then I have to touch the key, and the boot sequence continues.
But from time to time it fails and I am not being ask for the PIN, and the boot sequence stops saying that it cannot mount /home
If I reboot it couple of times finally I will get the PIN prompt and I can unlock /home

I checked the boot logs. When it works I get such output:
Code:

maj 15 14:35:15 pluto systemd[1]: Reached target Smart Card.
maj 15 14:35:20 pluto systemd-tty-ask-password-agent[1407]: Password query on /dev/tty1 finished successfully.
maj 15 14:35:20 pluto systemd-cryptsetup[1330]: Asking FIDO2 token for authentication.
maj 15 14:35:20 pluto systemd-cryptsetup[1330]: Please confirm presence on security token to unlock.

When it fails I get such output:
Code:

maj 15 14:34:46 pluto systemd-tty-ask-password-agent[1367]: Password query on /dev/tty1 finished successfully.
maj 15 14:34:46 pluto systemd-cryptsetup[1329]: Assertion '!pin || pin_size' failed at src/cryptsetup/cryptsetup-tokens/cryptsetup-token-systemd-fido2.c:37, function cryptsetup_token_open_pin(). Aborting.

It seems to me, that when it fails I do not get PIN prompt, and empty PIN is returned to systemd-cryptsetup which triggers the assertion.
It also seems to me like some kind of race condition, cause it works from time to time.

Interesting thing is that I have another computer with exactly the same setup, and it works fine.
Now I moved to the new machine and I am having this problem.

I also realized that on the old machine, some time ago I had a prompt like "Please type PIN" when booting, after some update this text stopped to appear, I ignored it cause I was able to type the PIN and unlock the volume.
But I guess this is the same issue where things from systemd-cryptsetup are not being read or written correctly to the terminal when booting.

I am looking for some hints what to check next.
starsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing with it already a week and I have two findings:

1. When I use a dock (Dell WD15) the problem does not exist. The booting sequence always stops and waits for the pin.

2. When I use computer w/o dock, first boot sequence fails with the mentioned assertion. But when I reboot it (alt+ctr+del) next time it works fine. I thought that there might be some random factor, but I was testing it for a week and basically every time
it worked, when I did the reboot.

Thus I think that it is hardware related problem -- maybe something needs longer time to initialize - that is why it works when I reboot the computer. And when I am using dock, then I guess different USB controller is used.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: