View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Lxqt Reply with quote

Hi

Lxqt (I thing! At the left top of the screen, a blue mark appears if I hit at that corner: that is the sign of Lxqt or not?) is my actual desktop environment and it is a beautiful one. I agree.

But there is a special difficulty: I don t know how to manipulate the menu to improve it. It looks analog to the poor menu of JWM (only the look at the background picture is a bit more impressiv. I use a photo I did shot myself about a big group of animals and I did never see my photo so good as now on the desktop!). But concerning the menu of JWM, I would know how to handle now to add

- nano
- emacs

in the menu

and how to recognize or determinate the real name of the app s appearing at the menu as the menu includes only some fantasy names (some being the real names, some other being only an explaining of the purpose of the app s).

How to do more?

Kind regards

Note: as you see, also in English, my keyboard, stamped by the maker of keyboard of the keyboard itself, Fujitsu, as US INTL (the standard keyboard of https;//inputking.com, the most important site for those writing sometimes different far east languages) does not react in Gentoo as usual! The Apostroph etc. does not appear! I can not write somewhat like «app s» correctly although I did hit on the apostroph key between the last p and the s! What is wrong in Gentoo?
oui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check again: I have, yes, a menu item Preferences > LXQT settings but no item LXQT menu or somewhat else analog there...

Perhaps it is a matter of Openbox settings as LXQT uses Openbox but also there, nothing to grow the menu.
oui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New LXQT problem:

I did install now «ranger».

The installer did install an item in the LXQT menu at «System tools» but the File and tree browser from LXQT, pcmandfm-qt, shows it s item in «Accessories». I would like to add an item in each of both categories to complete logic and correctly the menu. How to do that?
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oui wrote:
The installer did install an item in the LXQT menu at «System tools» but the File and tree browser from LXQT, pcmandfm-qt, shows it s item in «Accessories». I would like to add an item in each of both categories to complete logic and correctly the menu. How to do that?

It may be possible to add new items in a user's ~/.local/share/applications/ directory. I don't believe this will override existing system-wide options however.
One could add a system-wide desktop file in /usr/share/applications/ so long as they don't conflict with emerge installed files.
Any changes to system-wide options installed by emerge will be overwritten at each upgrade. The Freedesktop desktop menu specification files are often part of the build process (be it by upstream or Gentoo ebuild).
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to creating custom desktop-files as mentioned, LXQt 2.0 has a new "fancy menu" widget which has a larger menu area, similar to Xfce, with space for "favourites" to which items can be added as well.

The Gentoo packaging is currently waiting for some required dependencies (KF6) to become unmasked (and a bit more various tweaks).

oui wrote:
Perhaps it is a matter of Openbox settings as LXQT uses Openbox but also there, nothing to grow the menu.

Openbox manages windows, and has no effect on menus outside of its own. It is also not related to LXQt as a project, though used by default on many distributions.

That being said, while our 'lxqt-meta' still has a USE-flag for pulling it in, I have already removed it for the next release (2.0), as it has been more or less dormant for over a decade (it did make a lot more sense ages past). I also don't want to make it seem like it's a part of LXQt, as I don't think any of the LXQt upstream developers recommend its use these days (rather the opposite).

Going forward, users are of course free to keep on using Openbox, or any other window manager they like with LXQt.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: