mitigations for overheating?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bzipitidoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: mitigations for overheating? Reply with quote

The biggest problem I'm having with Gentoo is that my hardware can't take hours of sustained building without overheating, and locking up hard. 2 hours, yes, it can sustain that, but not 8 hours, can't leave it running all night long doing builds.

To get a big package such as Chromium to finish building, I have resorted to an old trick of using ctrl-s to pause the terminal output and thus the build for an hour or so, to give the computer a chance to cool down. (ctrl-q resumes.) If I don't do that in time, and end up having to cut the power, then when the computer has recovered the Gentoo build system starts over on the big package. Is there any way to resume within a package build? It's painful to have reached 40,000 out of nearly 60,000 tasks on the building of Chromium, and have to start over because the computer overheated at that point.
sbeem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-792914.html you can just:
Code:
ebuild (package) compile

to pick up where you left off.

Personally I think if you're having difficulty with overheating due to compiling large packages, you have a reasonable excuse to use binary packages. You could try https://gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/ungoogled-chromium-bin for Chromium.
Also if your issue is overheating, you might want to address that problem directly. Replace your thermal paste, clean the dust, add or replace fans. Unless that's not an option, then I'd just stick with binary packages.

Lastly, if you really want to stick to compiling everything, you could try compiling for your target on a different machine: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Cross_build_environment, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Crossdev or even setting up distcc: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc

Last edited by sbeem on Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
molletts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried reducing the number of threads in use for those packages (you can use files in /etc/portage/env and /etc/portage/package.env to override MAKEOPTS for specific packages)? That should reduce the power dissipation of the CPU a bit and may help keep the temperature under control. I have to limit ffmpeg runs (which can produce considerably more heat than compile jobs, maybe due to the use of AVX instructions) to 6 or even 4 threads in hot weather to prevent my PC from overheating.

I assume there's nothing you can do to improve cooling. (If it's a laptop, have you tried using a laptop cooler?)

Stephen
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(If it's a laptop, have you tried using a laptop cooler?)

That's two thick books to let air circulate under the laptop. :)

I used to run a P3 laptop on edge to make the most of the chimney effect, and have airflow at the 'bottom', now the side.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, go inside and blow out the dust. Don't overrev the fan blade (back emf effect).

If it is a laptop, get a stand with a large 6" fan. Spins slower, and is quieter, and the wear rate scales a a power of the spin rate.

And/or: use some 1x2 wood or erasers to prop the laptop at least half an inch off any surface.
If you have a stand, make sure the stand is propped up the same amount.

A cheap USB fan could blow air under the stand and possibly help.

If it is a desktop, install another fan.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your hardware, potentially just reduce the thermal and/or power limits of your CPU. Modern LGA1700 boards in particular tend to ignore Intels specs for those limits and will happily let the CPUs consume as much power as possible for as long as they want, which obviously results in tons of heat.
Other than that, check your cooling solution: in case of a desktop, clean the case, coolers and fans from dust, if it is an older system maybe dismount the cooler and apply some new thermal paste. Or add some additional fans to get the heat out of the system.
If it is a laptop then obviously your options are more limited, still removing dust and ensuring air intake and outlets are free may help.

As for reducing load, as has been mentioned you could simply reduce the number of parallel build jobs.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lower these settings in /etc/portage/make.conf
Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j8 -l5"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=1 --load-average=5 --autounmask=n"

Also, use of nice, if nice enough, will keep the heat down.

Solve systemic problem if possible. All the advice about fans and thermal paste are spot on. Quick and dirty for a desktop = take cover off and aim a fan at it.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago i had a similar problem, only in my case the CPU/mainboard was fanless.

I wrote a small daemon to scale down the cpufreq max frequency depending on the CPU temperature, right now it keeps my CPU around 70 degrees Celsius while the emerge -e world is running for the 23.0 profile update.
It might be useful for your use case too, you can find it here: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org/tools/cputemp2maxfreq/about/

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice only encourages the system to prefer scheduling other applications more favorably than the nice one. A nice process with no competition can still run the system at full load.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Nice only encourages the system to prefer scheduling other applications more favorably than the nice one. A nice process with no competition can still run the system at full load.

Good point. Thanks for the correction. Mea culpa.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh wrote:
I wrote a small daemon to scale down the cpufreq max frequency depending on the CPU temperature

I did exactly the same thing, only in bash, in a hurry, so it's horrible code, use pa4wdh's.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: