View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Glitchy fonts on various websites Reply with quote

Brand new build on a relatively old machine. The issue is that random fonts (primarily custom fonts from what I can tell, but it's not always custom fonts) sometimes get displayed as garbage. Example is from Google News. If I edit the page and remove the custom font from that sub-header, it works. The link text below the header, though, has no custom font from what I can see, and changing the fonts doesn't seem to help. I saw similar issues on my Unifi router web interface, which does use a custom font as well (and removing it renders it readable). I've experimented with a number of fontconfig settings, but haven't found a solution yet. I also was messing with it to get sub-pixel rendering working, so I don't know if that's related.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jrittenh on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:04 am; edited 3 times in total
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link in your comment appears to be 404, which makes it more difficult to narrow down what the issue might be; different types of 'garbage' can indicate different issues. Please fix that link.

Also, please indicate which font(s) you have as the default, which font(s) you've tried, and what the "custom fonts" were.
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link works for me, but try this one: https://imgur.com/a/oDw6Xcl
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, both of those lead to an imgur error page that complains about Javascript. No images are visible.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images are likely private to a certain user. I bet if viewed while logged out, the OP would also get a 404.
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Imgur may be having issues...I can't get anything to save. Trying another site.

https://ibb.co/jhyjDbG
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
These images are likely private to a certain user. I bet if viewed while logged out, the OP would also get a 404.

They're "unlisted", and they vanish completely if I navigate away from them. It appears to be an Imgur issue. I have other "unlisted" images on my profile that I can still access, even incognito.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrittenh wrote:
https://ibb.co/jhyjDbG

Yes, this worked for me, thanks.

So, it looks like what's happening is that the font being selected for body text is a low-legibility cursive font; with difficulty, i can make our various words (for example, under "National", "Black American"). It doesn't appear to be a rendering issue per se.

What browser is this in? What fonts are specified in that browser's preferences?
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anything you'd expect to cause trouble for being too fancy:

font-family: "Google Sans Text", "Roboto", sans-serif;

font-family: 'The New York Times-panel-title-font', 'Google Sans Text', sans-serif;

I'll pull these up on MacOS and Windows for comparison and grab screenshots from each.
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is MacOS:

https://ibb.co/nCkSKwQ
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're providing the CSS styling for the `font-family` attribute, either directly from a style file or as computed by the browser, but that's not what i asked for. i asked:

Quote:
What browser is this in? What fonts are specified in that browser's preferences?

i don't need screencaps of successful rendering on other systems; that doesn't give me any information about why the browser on your Gentoo system is choosing an inappropriate font for body text.

That said, well, are "Google Sans Text" and "Roboto" actually installed on your system? You can check by running:

Code:
$ fc-list | grep 'Google'
$ fc-list | grep 'Roboto'
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I misunderstood what you were asking. Google Sans Text is not installed, but the Roboto family is. That said, this isn't supposed to matter, as it should fall back gracefully to an installed font, as it does when I remove the custom fonts. I thought this was a cross-browser issue, but it may be limited to google-chrome-stable (123.0.6312.122), as I can't seem to recreate it on Firefox at this point. I just installed google-chrome-beta and it actually appears to be resolved there as well...so this may be a Chrome 123 bug that's already been fixed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: