View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Colour fonts in LibreOffice and elsewhere Reply with quote

Hi

Am trying to make the second font here work in Libreoffice.

https://ufi.web.ox.ac.uk/fonts

The font crashes KFontview. FontForge shows the "fallback" version, while LibreOffice shows the "regular glyph" version (see samples bottom of page here: https://ufi.web.ox.ac.uk/home )

Is this some setting / use flag, or the various program/libraries not supporting this format yet?

Thanks, Ian
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relevant underlying library in all three cases is FreeType (media-libs/freetype), a font rasterization library (homepage), which can certainly handle OpenType fonts (.otf extension) in general, but not certain OpenType functionality; the FreeType FAQ says:

Quote:
[T]he engine already reads OpenType/CFF files perfectly. What it doesn't do is handling ‘OpenType Layout’ tables.

The predecessor of FreeType 2, the now defunct FreeType 1 series, came with a set of extensions that were used to load and manage OpenType Layout tables. It even had a demonstration program named ftstrtto to show its capabilities. However, this code is no longer maintained, and we strongly advise to not use it.

Running fc-query(1) on Oxford-Ugaritic-Clay.otf results in output whose "capability" line is:

Quote:
capability: "otlayout:DFLT otlayout:latn otlayout:ugar"

suggesting "otlayout:ugar" might be at least part of the issue here. If FreeType can't handle that, i can imagine different layers above FreeType (e.g. the Pango library, or applications) responding in differing ways. Including crashing, if kfontview is making bad assumptions regarding the response(s) it, or intervening layers, can potentially get from FreeType.

i'm certainly not an expert here, though, so perhaps others can confirm or debunk my speculations. In the absence of that happening, you could try asking the FreeType community whether the font is actually something that FreeType could work with, or whether it's somehow 'broken'; if the former, you could try e.g. reporting a possible bug in kfontview, and asking the LibreOffice community about its behaviour in this regard.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks.

I interrogated Gemini about the issue, best I could figure is that somewhere between freetype, harfbuzz, and Given Application, there are problems.

1. I made an SVG page with text using this font. Firefox can display it, as can Inkscape. Gimp can open it, but loses the gradients.

2. Trying to insert text in Inkscape using the font often results in clipping, depending on the character dimensions. This seems to be a common problem with some fonts in Inkscape.

So I eventually did a work-around ... took screenshots of text in Firefox, trimmed each character in Gimp, and inserted as images in Libreoffice. Not ideal but "works" for now.

Cheers, Ian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: