Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Xorg configuration for multiple systems (bootable stick)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M95D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Xorg configuration for multiple systems (bootable stick) Reply with quote

Hi.

I run Gentoo from a USB strick. I run it on multiple systems. Each one has a different GPU: nouveau (GTX 970), intel (945GM), radeon (HD 3000).
I need to set the Xorg "Option TearFree On" on each one of them because the default is off and scrolling in OpenTTD looks really bad without it.

How do I do that, so that it works on all systems?

What I tried so far:

I tried creating a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ for each GPU with this contents (driver and profile name matching each xorg gpu driver):
Code:

Section "Device"
   Driver   "intel"
   Identifier   "Intel"
   Option   "TearFree"   "on"
EndSection

The result was that X no longer starts on intel and nouveau systems, but works fine on radeon.

While running on intel system, I tried removing the other two config files (nouveau and radeon). In this case, X runs OK, but it doesn't start on the other two system and I find it too difficult to move config files around each time I boot the stick on a different system.

I tried to use the modesetting driver only. That one works on all systems. I am concerned that it doesn't support 3D hardware acceleration and/or video acceleration. I don't know how to test myself and the internet is full of outdated and conflicting info about this.

Thank you.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a USB hdd with Gentoo with xfce installed for Rescue and Backup purposes use with several desktop and laptop PC's. All BIOS boot.

The kernel is build with "genkernel all" using standard gentoo-sources. Video driver is only VESA. This works with on all laptops and desktops without changes. To boot, I just plug in the USB drive and select the boot drive by pressing ESC, F9, or whatever is necessary for the individual PC.

This also works with USB stick but is extremely slow.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: