View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Firefox messes up ligatures Reply with quote

A recent update of Firefox (to 123.0?) resulted in it rendering many ligatures incorrectly. Namely, it uses the wrong ligature (e,g,, ffi when it should use the one for fl), but apparently not in a consistent way.

Wikipedia's page on ligatures is a good test case. (Hmm, seems the forum software chokes on that link…) I've tested it in Firefox and Falkon (Chromium-like) using the same font and it does work correctly in the latter (see linked screenshots).

Is anyone seeing the same issue? Anyone have an idea what might be the problem and how to fix it?

[Moderator edit: fixed [url] tag. Forum auto-linking does not work when the URL contains parentheses. -Hu]
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed this something like this as well, using the `firefox-bin` package - grapheme sequences that could be converted into a ligature get converted to something other than that ligature. For example, 'fl' becomes 'A'.

i'm not sure how to start diagnosing the problem - in the meantime, i've changed to compiling and using the `firefox` package, where the issue doesn't occur for me.
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compiled the update 123.0.1 with -system-harfbuzz and the problem is not there anymore. I guess there is a difference between firefox's harfbuzz and gentoo's which causes this. (Also the binary package does not exhibit the issue.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: