nfs fails to stop? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 am    Post subject: nfs fails to stop? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

At first I thought this was from an update I just did that included nfs-utils. Apparently however this must have been the case for some time and I just noticed it. Attempting to stop the nfs service fails every time:
Code:
/etc/init.d/nfs stop
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * Stopping NFS mountd ...                                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * Stopping NFS daemon ...
 * start-stop-daemon: 8 process(es) refused to stop                                                                                                                 [ !! ]
 * Unexporting NFS directories ...                                                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * ERROR: nfs failed to stop

Again, not sure when it may have last worked. I'm just glad it starts and works OK at least. I'm using nfs3 only by the way.

Any ideas what that's about? Thanks!

Tom

Last edited by tld on Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite some time since i last used NFS, but could it be that client machines still have NFS shares mounted / in-use?
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1166867-highlight-nfs+stop.html

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
It's been quite some time since i last used NFS, but could it be that client machines still have NFS shares mounted / in-use?
Actually no. This happens with no clients mouting anything.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
Maybe this?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1166867-highlight-nfs+stop.html
That sounds like it might be related, but that seems quite different. This is happening with a 6.6.13-gentoo kernel in fact. I also don't get any sort of kernel messages like that at all.

What I do notice is that both when starting and when trying to stop the service, the init script itself appears to keep running in the background for sometimes over a minute. Odd one. Like I said, I'm glad it does at least start and work properly.

Tom
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm, I also see this problem with gentoo-sources-6.6.16.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineermdr wrote:
I can confirm, I also see this problem with gentoo-sources-6.6.16.
I'm almost sure that the issue is in fact with the 6.6 kernel (I just updated to 6.6.13), which would explain why it still failed when I rolled back the nfs-utils to the previous version.

When I have a little down time on this machine in a bit, I'm going to try this booted to my previous 6.1 kernel.

EDIT: OK, yes, if I reboot to my 6.1.67 kernel the service stops just fine. I logged this bug referencing this thread:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/924178

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand what's going on with that bug. Mine was closed and marked as a duplicate of this:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=916947

...which sounds related but actually quite different. Yet when Vjaceslavs Klimovs reported behavior identical to what I reported (only with a current version of openrc) he was asked to open a new bug:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/924309

Not following any of that.

Tom
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are known issues with the ancient version of OpenRC. It's reasonable to then conclude yours is that, rather than the same as a report someone running the latest one, given a specific issue like this was addressed already.

It's not really clear to me what would satisfy you here. Supposing it's another OpenRC bug, when that gets fixed, what happens then? You'd be in the same position as now with the bug that yours may be a duplicate of now.

It would also help if you could characterise the difference you're seeing between that bug's description and yours.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I get that if it's an openrc issue that gets fixed, I'd need to update openrc to get any sort of fix.

If you're referring the differences in my issue and the one that's supposedly a duplicate: The latter is about service stops (like samba) hanging indefinitely on shutdown. Whereas the issue that Vjaceslavs Klimovs reported (the one that they said should have a new bug) is exactly what I'm experiencing...where the nfsd process won't die when stopping the nfs service...plus he's having that issue with the current openrc 0.53.

None of that adds up for me.

I'm actually not concerned at this point as long as nfs starts and works, and it doesn't lock up any shutdowns as that other issue apparently does.

Tom
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I understand now - the difference is start-stop-daemon hanging vs. trying-and-failing. (That said, I still don't think it's particularly helpful to file bugs with an old OpenRC without trying a new one at least, and not upfront saying it clearly, especially given this could still be an issue on that side.)
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same issue on both PCs.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded from kernel-6.1.67-gentoo to kernel-6.6.13-gentoo. Have no problem with NFS provided the server is available.

/etc/local.d/nfsclient.start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
date > /var/log/nfsclient.log
server="proxy-2.itw.lan"
status=$?
echo "nfsserver: "$server >> /var/log/nfsclient.log
echo > /dev/tcp/$server/2049
status=$?
echo "error status: "$status >> /var/log/nfsclient.log

if [ $status -eq 0 ]
then
  echo "nsfserver: "$server" is alive" >> /var/log/nfsclient.log
  rc-service netmount start >> /var/log/nfsclient.log
  exit 0 >> /var/log/nfsclient.log
else
  echo "nsfserver: "$server" is dead" >&2 >> /var/log/nfsclient.log
  exit 1  >> /var/log/nfsclient.log
fi
/etc/local.d/nfsclient.stop:
Code:
/bin/umount -a -f -t nfs,nfs4

ADDED 17-2-2024:
I also confirm that the NFS server does not stop with # 'rc-service rpcbind stop' and kernel-6.6.13-gentoo.
kernel-6.1.67-gentoo works OK

Last edited by C5ace on Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
Just upgraded from kernel-6.1.67-gentoo to kernel-6.6.13-gentoo. Have no problem with NFS provided the server is available.

To be clear, the issue is with the nfs service and not nfsclient.

Tom
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I hit this some time ago (not sure if it coincided with changing kernel release - I follow kernel.org stable, which is Gentoo ~arch), though I issue "/etc/init.d/rpcbind stop" to take down the whole NFS stack. Reissuing the command then works OK, and I'm pretty sure stopping NFS twice will work.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
FWIW I hit this some time ago (not sure if it coincided with changing kernel release - I follow kernel.org stable, which is Gentoo ~arch), though I issue "/etc/init.d/rpcbind stop" to take down the whole NFS stack. Reissuing the command then works OK, and I'm pretty sure stopping NFS twice will work.
Mine is a little screwier than that, and I think part of it is that the init script seems to hang around for a good while for some reason...either when stopping or starting. For example after starting the service I see this:
Code:
ps auxw | grep nfs
root       117  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I<   Feb09   0:00 [kworker/R-nfsio]
root     14220  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14221  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14222  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14223  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14224  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14225  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14273  0.0  0.0   7612  2076 pts/4    S    09:00   0:00 /bin/sh /lib64/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/nfs start
root     14283  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14284  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I    09:00   0:00 [nfsd]
root     14304  0.0  0.0   6332  2176 pts/4    S+   09:01   0:00 grep --colour=auto nfs
That init script stays there for almost a minute, which clearly isn't normal. Sometimes after a failed stop I have to do a zap. Clearly something wrong going on there.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case someone can answer this before I get an answer on that new bug:

If I go to a commit like this:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=7aa183ae8073593cab6d3f012a981a6e6712ffc2

HOW on earth do I get a raw diff from there??? This isn't the first time I've run into this, and I CANNOT figure out how to do that for the life of me.

Tom
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the page you linked, choose (patch) (next to the commit id). Save the result as a file. Use it as input to GNU patch. Alternatively, observe that the link I gave can be derived from the one you showed by replacing the word commit with the word patch.

Optionally, use wget or curl on the patch URL instead of opening it in a browser.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
From the page you linked, choose (patch) (next to the commit id). Save the result as a file. Use it as input to GNU patch. Alternatively, observe that the link I gave can be derived from the one you showed by replacing the word commit with the word patch.

Optionally, use wget or curl on the patch URL instead of opening it in a browser.
Thanks! That worked.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the changes to the init script in nfs-utils described in this bug correct this issue:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/924309

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: