[SOLVED] Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goltia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module Reply with quote

I reinstalled my computer from scratch and I have an issue with nvidia when trying to make optimus works.

Without any /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it works fine.

If I try to follow https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/Optimus, X fails.
I generated my Xorg.conf with `nvidia-xconfig --prime`

I have run out of idea...

Here is my xorg.conf : https://pastebin.com/raw/psKA2z3V

Here is my Xorg.0.log : https://pastebin.com/raw/fkMFqpgx

Here is dmesg : https://pastebin.com/raw/rxzVaqNK

Here is the result of lspci :
Code:

$ lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D controller"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] (rev a1)

Last edited by Goltia on Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module Reply with quote

Goltia wrote:
Without any /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it works fine.
So.. what's the problem?

NVIDIA's official documentation is typically all you need for prime (it also mentions that the X server will typically handle everything automatically and there's no need to go out of your way to break things). Will also point out some environment variables to control what's used too.
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/535.154.05/README/primerenderoffload.html

Not that I have such a setup myself, so just going with what I typically hear and how people don't even need a Xorg.conf.
Goltia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought my nvidia card wasn't used without this.

Here is what I have in nvidia-smi :

Code:

Thu Feb  8 15:28:45 2024       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.154.05             Driver Version: 535.154.05   CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 ...    Off | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   36C    P8              N/A / ERR! |      4MiB /  4096MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |

Is it normal I have no running processes ? Even when I run a video

On my other computer (with the xorg.conf from `nvidia-xconfig --prime`), I have X and gnome-shell in there.
Goltia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the issue was only due to my user not being in the video group...

Sorry for bothering you and thank you for your help.
wlmosv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the same problem. Why do I still have problems after adding users to the video group?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: