snd-hda-intel not working... [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: snd-hda-intel not working... [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Originally I started screwing this up by having BOTH the in-kernel ALSA turned on, AS WELL as the portage alsa-drivers ebuild installed. A WHOPPING no-no. Pick one scheme, not both, as I have been told; and prefer the in-kernel ALSA drivers...

So here we go...

I have issued the command:

Code:
# emerge -C alsa-driver

to remove one set of headaches.

Where to go from here though, any ideas? I need to clean up my kernel right? I admit to being COMPLETELY lost with ALSA... I was more comfortable with PulseAudio and MPD driving the LADSPA plugins using the mbeq plugin as a global EQ which is I know off-topic, but I am saying I'm out of my element.

plz. help. thx. :oops:

Last edited by flacvest on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lspci output please
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: lspci output Reply with quote

localhost flacvest # lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee (rev 03)
01:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev 80)

I apologize for forgetting to include this... :oops:
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your kernel version?

btw:
Quote:
01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee (rev 03)

how were you able to plug this old card to a new mobo?
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: kernel version Reply with quote

kernel is amd64 gentoo-sources kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r4
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the in kernel drivers has modules?
did alsaconf recognized the card?
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: The voodoo banshee card... Reply with quote

From this post I found the right info:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-435106-highlight-elvisgauss.html

I recently sold my ATI R580 All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900XT board out of my system, in the hopes of stuffing a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB card in, and pulling out my Auzentech X-Meridian Sound Card leaving me with the on-board snd-hda-intel audio (nVIDIA MCP55 rev 02a)...

However, I didn't read the power requirements of the new board which requires a minimum of a 650W power supply and its in a Shuttle SFF SN27P2 System which has a maximum Power supply of 450W... needing a VGA card, I stumbled over my old Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix Voodoo Banshee Card which I plugged into the now vacant PCI Slot, and compiled the kernel for DRI, with the USE flags for 3dfx and dlloader and voila... I was able to recompile the kernel, xorg-server, xf86-video-voodoo, and glide-v3 to enable the use of the Voodoo card...

BTW I had to set the mode line to allow it to use my 720p HDTV monitor, so the mode line is now set to "1280x720" at 24 color mode...

In addition I have a USB snd-usb-audio 5.1 surround sound headset which I'd like help with, should I leave that out to avoid muddying the issue until later? (I would err toward this)

Best, hope you're having an interesting day now!!
APolozov
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: lspci output Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
localhost flacvest # lspci

I apologize for forgetting to include this... :oops:

It's not intal-hda
See chip name on motherboard
For example, variant
CONFIG_SND_ALI5451:
Say Y here to include support for the integrated AC97 sound
device on motherboards using the ALi M5451 Audio Controller
(M1535/M1535D/M1535+/M1535D+ south bridges). Newer chipsets
use the "Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97 Controller" driver.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: In-kernel compilation of ALSA Reply with quote

I did try in kernel compilation of ALSA as modules, but as stated, I don't know how to "clean my system up" after having had BOTH the in-kernel ALSA and the ebuild alsa=driver installed. I would like to accomplish that as a first step.

Next I would like guidance to properly compile in-kernel ALSA as modules, for both snd-hda-intel and snd-usb-audio.

Then I would appreciate guidance on how to prevent the pcspkr from being the ONLY sound device on my system... :-(

I also have remnants of a previous PulseAudio installation and don't know how to clean that up.

Originally I was planning on installing ALSA as a prerequisite to installing PulseAudio, with LADSPA & LADSPA-swh for the mbeq plugin to use as a global EQ for PulseAudio...

WHY??? Because of MPD, and my Audiophile nature. Also, I will eventually be setting up the system with snd-oxygen again once I get the PROPER Sapphire Radeon 4800 series card (the 4850, 1GB of GDDR3) that is compatable with the 450W power supply in my Small Form Factor Shuttle SN27P2 System. ARGH the headaches of living on the edge of tech....

Sorry to have been so Babbleiscious...
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: So it's AC`97??? That's a breath of fresh air!!! Reply with quote

In a way, that makes lots of sense... I feel so... bedanged stupid. Thank You, I'll try that new compilation option... How should I go about dealing with the corruption of the system's audio system though? should I compile it without sound one time for sh!%$ and giggles?? Thats the only thing I can think of...
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: so what module do i modprobe??? Reply with quote

Sorry to be a lamer. I know I should know this but I don't and I've been tearing my hair out since 2am Pacific Time...
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: alsaconf didn't find any cards... what do i do now? Reply with quote

any ideas?
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: from some looking around on the ALSA page it appears... Reply with quote

That the nVIDIA MCP55 rev 02a is the snd-intel8x0

Can anybody confirm this for me please?

As to why I am getting these messages, I am miffed:

Code:
localhost flacvest # modprobe snd-intel8x0
FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r4/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Invalid module format
localhost flacvest # modinfo soundcore
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r4/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
alias:          char-major-14-*
license:        GPL
author:         Alan Cox
description:    Core sound module
srcversion:     E4F49ED9C4CFD1A5A923330
depends:       
vermagic:       2.6.27-gentoo-r4 SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
localhost flacvest #  modprobe snd-intel8x0 ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss
FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r4/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r4/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting snd_mixer_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r4/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Module snd_seq_oss not found.

Can anyone help???
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar chip and it's the hda-intel driver. It likely is an AD chip, so make sure you choose it in the kernel.

Also, remove /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: The nVidia MCP55 rev 02a is [SOLVED] Reply with quote

AFTER following much advice, I did this to fix my problem:

I did some dentistry:

I yanked each and every kernel with that most destructive of commands remover recursive force verbose, and the kernels one by one, then the keep file.

Then I changed the system time via updating the "date" command with a date in the future by a minute or two, to freshen all the files on the system as advised.

Next I emerge -av gentoo-sources and installed the latest kernel sources for amd64, which as of Saturday 12/13/2008@21:37:32 are sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r5.

After that I make menuconfig

Then I configure the kernel per my previous notebook for my chipsets for the Shuttle SN27P2... 10 pages of notes with kernel parameters.

Next I exit and save my kernel config

After that I make && make modules_install

Next up I cp -v /arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r5

Then I grep -v rootfs /proc /mounts > /etc/mtab

And I grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda

Finally I reboot

The kernel which my notes have code named "Dying In Beauty" after the song I meditated on during its configuration and compilation, is by Tiga & Zyntherius off of Tiga's DJ Kicks album... but I digress...

As for ALSA, the nVidia MCP55 rev 02a really _is_ a snd-hda-intel chip, and after removing the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file, somehow the alsaconf program (after a successful modprobe (no errors reported when i did a modprobe snd-hda-intel at the root prompt)) got the module to be inserted into the kernel with no errors this time. alsamixer shows the snd-hda-intel levels FINALLY... phew!

Thanks SO VERY MUCH to all you GURU and Tux's Lil Helper's who helped me solve my sound problems... I'm going to do some testing and report back...

I still have the snd-usb-audio 5.1 surround sound gaming headset to get up and running ... for Musical purposes. Hey it has Force Feedback and was designed by Benheck!!

Again Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

Your helpers are scattered all over the world. It can take 24 hours for someone to reply to your posts because of the time differences.
For example, you are eight hours behind me. Be patient.
Your audio device is
Code:

Note the High Definition Audio in its name. That means it needs the snd-intel-hda module and not the snd-intel8x0.

Follow this guilde you will also need some trial and error with the model= module parameter, its easier to do that if you build the sound module as a kernel loadable module.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: I apologoize to the community if I appeared impatient Reply with quote

That was not my purpose; I was simply eager to roll up my sleeves and get busy fixing the issue. I have a trait like that sometimes, where I take after my Grandma, and I've been called Mister Carol (which I find SO CUTE) because my Grandma has become so dear to me over the years as I've taken the time to get to know her.

I would like to happily say I've figured out the snd-hda-intel issues, and posted a [SOLVED] to it... Now to Upgrade the audio to PulseAudio... That's the rub... Should I shouldn't I (I'm going to, even though I may have to strip out my kernel again... I wrote 10 pages of kernel config notes so I know how the amd64 version of kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-5 should be configured for my machine)...

The reason is for MPD + PulseAudio + LADSPA + LADSPA-swh + LADSPA-swh (mbeq) as a global EQ for PulseAudio & MPD via the ESD wrapper.

It sounds LIKE CANDY!!! I'm a self confessed Audiophile, and when I get this round done I will publish a guide.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I apologoize to the community if I appeared impatient Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
I would like to happily say I've figured out the snd-hda-intel issues, and posted a [SOLVED] to it...

Actually, to mark it solved you need to edit your first post. ;)

It's great that you figured it out.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: tHANKS EVERYONE!!! i'M HAPPY TO HAVE GENTOO'ED WITH YOU! Reply with quote

I really, truly appreciate our community, and once I get the PulseAudio situation locked in tight I will be publishing the guide on:

www.amot.wordpress.com aka Any Manner Of Things...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest,

My post was not intended as a rebuke, your enthusiam comes across. On occasions time zones are forgotten at both ends.
I've been at my keyboard at 01:00am helping someone in your timezone (5:00pm) over IRC when I should have been in bed.

Enjoy your Gentoo.

You have discovered one of Gentoos secrets - make it work first, make it better after. If the make it better fails, you can always to back to something that works.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: I <3 Gentoo, and it's community Reply with quote

Neddy,

I wasn't taken aback in the SLIGHTEST, You of all, have been extremely, extremely nurturing, and I thank you for your benevolence and wisdom.

I'm happy we were all able to get a glimpse into some of Gentoo's inner workings and get an issue resolved. It makes us all more computer literate, knowledgable, and gives us the chance to say, "hello" to one another.

To EVERYONE THAT HELPED ME: THANK YOU!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: