How do you all maintain your system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoebill_j
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:06 am    Post subject: How do you all maintain your system? Reply with quote

Me personally i do a sync and a world update every 2 days then carefully do a depclean each time. This approach has been making Gentoo easier in my experience.

Maybe we can share some knowledge! :)
fjeldse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a `emerge --sync` followed by `emerge -auvDN --with-bdeps=y @world` at least once a week, but usually more. Also, I switched to the Git repository and it seems to run a lot faster, but that's just my subjective experience.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every 2 days would become a tiresome chore, ignoring the unnecessary power usage for my use case.

Stable Desktops I update every 2 weeks; over the years that's worked out to be the sweet spot for me. I noticed that dev's tend to commit at or just after the weekend, so I usually sync to my local portage host on a Tuesday pm and run the update on the host, then set up the other machines to run overnight once completed. That saves having half an update on a production machine if there's been an error.

Unstable machines or machines with a large number of mixed ~ packages I do weekly but at present I don't have any of those.

I've seen people go a lot longer between updates, with varying degrees of success ;)
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to update daily when I was using ~arch system-wide. Now that I switched to stable, I'm thinking about updating weekly instead, as there are less updates.

ian.au wrote:
I've seen people go a lot longer between updates, with varying degrees of success ;)

This part hold my attention. Any interesting horror stories? :)
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... not exactly a horror story, which is a big compliment on portage's side:
I update my systems every 3 to 4 months, so that comes down to 4 times a year. The only exception is when there are high-profile vulnerabilities i really need to fix. They are all running stable (arm and amd64), i'm doing this for more than 10 years now and never run into big problems. Some installs are really simple (like a basic install and ntpd) others are more complex (like a mailserver, a LAMP setup or my desktop/laptop). I assume that staying with stable solves ensures the smooth updates most of the time.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to do it about every week (or 2). Depends a bit on available time and what I'm doing with the pc at the time. If I'm doing something like audio or photo related I sometimes let go more time between updates because it would be to much lost time in the flow of things if something breaks. My incantations are like:
Code:
emerge -p -uvDU @world

If that says that there everything is ok, no circular dependencies, no conflicting versions, no slots asked by several applications, no perl conflicts then I continue (unless there is the message to update portage first)
Code:
emerge -uvUD @world
revdep-rebuild -v
etc-update
perl-cleaner --all -- -av

Next I check how it sits with the kernel if there is a new version and if needed update that as well
Code:
uname -a
eselect kernel list
eselect kernel set <x>
(copy .config from old to new)
make oldconfig
make && make modules_install
mount /boot
make install
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
emerge --ask --oneshot @module-rebuild
emerge --oneshot app-emulation/virtualbox-extpack-oracle

and if I'm lucky everything still works! Then I do the same thing with the laptop.

If I'm not lucky I run to the forums... :)

Before I sometimes let it go for several months between updates but after a particular run into issues that took far longer then to rebuild the whole system from scratch several times over I do keep it more up to date.
myga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjeldse wrote:
I do a `emerge --sync` followed by `emerge -auvDN --with-bdeps=y @world` at least once a week, but usually more. Also, I switched to the Git repository and it seems to run a lot faster, but that's just my subjective experience.

Using '--with-bdeps=y' is not necessary.

Code:

--with-bdeps < y | n >
In dependency calculations, pull in build time dependencies that are not strictly required. This option is automatically enabled for installation actions, meaning they will be installed, and defaults to "y" for the --depclean action, meaning they will not be removed. In order to prevent the --with-bdeps option from being automatically enabled for installation actions, specify --with-bdeps-auto=n in either the command line or EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS.

CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update on a ¼ day basis.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support
myga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update every 24-72 hrs. Here is my lazy tiny script:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

# sync local pkg db
emaint -a sync

# update pkgs to newest version (if any)
time emerge -vauND @world

# remove unused & superceded pkgs
# short version: emerge -ac
emerge --ask --depclean

# update the list of installed pkgs
eix-update
NichtDerHans
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge --sync && emerge --ask --verbose --tree --update --deep --changed-use world && emerge --ask --tree --depclean && emerge --ask --tree @preserved-rebuild
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
I update on a ¼ day basis.

Can you actually use the pc then? An update with my setup takes more then 1/4 of a day so if I would try to do it it wouldn't even work!
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking daily basis sync, likely suspended when time consuming update set arises.

3600 packages installed here.

½ CPU threads are dedicated to emerge.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update daily. "emerge --sync" runs from crontab about 0600 and I get the output of "emerge -uDUp @world" in my my morning email. Sometime during the day I'll pull the trigger on "emerge -uDUa @world" and then let it run in the background. I don't usually have to do anything else. I will occasionally run "emerge -ca" as the spirit moves me to do so.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a week, I (manually) sync with the portage squashfs snapshot. I have a chroot which builds binpkgs (emerge --update --deep --changed-use @world) for a make.conf that specifies -march=... that suits both my laptop and desktop machines, then emerge at first level on both machines against said binpkgs.
Always take care to read any eselect news items, config file changes, and run (if possible) emerge --depclean.
I build my own kernels directly from the stable git tree on kernel.org, as and when there's a new stable. I have "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-5.10.11" in package.provided (and occasionally update the release number, it doesn't seem to matter).
I have "--ask" in PORTAGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh wrote:
Well ... not exactly a horror story, which is a big compliment on portage's side:
I update my systems every 3 to 4 months, so that comes down to 4 times a year...

Yes, big compliment to portage.

I build binary packages for several workstations on my local network and update approx every 45 - 60 days. If anything, that seems to be more frequent than necessary -- 3 or 4 months probably would make more sense for building a stable system for others to use. My "distro" provides a highly customized desktop environment built on fluxbox and rox-filer, and an XFCE desktop, many kde apps, the main browsers and mail clients, etc, without any logind or policykit stuff. GCC is built with ada and gcc-with-ada is the sytem compiler,

An update goes like this:
* eix-sync (updating gentoo portage, science overlay, sage overlay, tor-browser overlay, local overlay)
* build and install new kernel if any and rebuild zfs-kmod
* emerge -auvDN --usepkg=n @world
* use this updated system on the main workstation for a week to ensure it's good
* prepare to build a clean and complete set of binaries
--- clean out the distfiles with eclean -d
--- move the binary package repo aside
* rebuild everything from the ground up (using a script for this)
* take a snapshot using script that saves a release (distfiles, ebuilds, packages, kernel sources and config, stage3 tarball, notes from /root)

The final product is a snapshot similar to the "release" of any binary distro. Theoretically I can install an older version of my gentoo workstation from one of these snapshots. It has worked well for installing my "distro" on local computers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: