Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fbcon=font:TER16x32 not working with dracut+openrc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sun_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: fbcon=font:TER16x32 not working with dracut+openrc? Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,

Intermediate gentoo user here. I'm testing a system with gentoo-kernel + dracut. I'm running into a strange issue where it won't respect my "fbcon=font:TER16x32" kernel cmdline settings.

With the below cmdline, it appears for a second as the correct font, then goes down to the smaller 8x16 default font.
Code:
loglevel=3 quiet fbcon=font:TER16x32 fbcon=nodefer rd.luks.uuid=846b46f6-6a3b-40d7-a052-0b403696c9aa rd.luks.name=846b46f6-6a3b-40d7-a052-0b403696c9aa=crypt_root root=/dev/mapper/crypt_root initrd=/initramfs-6.1.60-gentoo-dist.img

When "fbcon=nodefer" is removed, it does not ever display the correct font.

This works as intended on my system using genkernel, however, on dracut it defaults to the 8x16 font even when specified otherwise. Below is my dracut.conf
Code:
hostonly="yes"
add_drivers+=" ext4 f2fs vfat dm_crypt "
add_dracutmodules+=" crypt dm "

It's also worth noting that this is a fresh install and all on the same hardware, and with the standard kernel config (with amdgpu, simplefb and efifb enabled). The setup above worked as intended when using a systemd stage 3 tarball, but not with an openrc stage 3 tarball.

I cannot figure out exactly what I'm missing. I'm not sure what's going on with dracut to cause it to reset the fbcon font to 8x16. Between systemd and openrc, the kernel config was the exact same, as was the dracut.conf file. I have a hunch it may be a bug with dracut+openrc as dracut seems to depend on certain facets of systemd, but I'm unsure. It's equally likely I'm simply forgetting a particular option in dracut. The strange part is that I see the correct font for only a moment before it shrinks.

Any input would be appreciated!
sun_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,

I found a solution which works better for my use case, and that was:

1.) disabling the "initramfs" use flag from gentoo-kernel
2.) installing genkernel
3.) adding a postinst.d hook invoking "genkernel initramfs --luks"
4.) changing the kernel cmdline in my efibootmgr entry to accommodate genkernel's crypt_root syntax

Couldn't actually figure out how to get dracut to respect the font settings in cmdline, but genkernel supplants it for me.
sun_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sun_runner wrote:
Greetings everyone,

I found a solution which works better for my use case, and that was:

1.) disabling the "initramfs" use flag from gentoo-kernel
2.) installing genkernel
3.) adding a postinst.d hook invoking "genkernel initramfs --luks"
4.) changing the kernel cmdline in my efibootmgr entry to accommodate genkernel's crypt_root syntax

Couldn't actually figure out how to get dracut to respect the font settings in cmdline, but genkernel supplants it for me.

I'm back to square one on this. I've switched back to dracut in order to be able to leverage it's ability to generate a UKI.

dracut.conf:
Code:
add_dracutmodules+=" crypt dm rootfs-block "
add_drivers+=" amdgpu "
uefi="yes"
kernel_cmdline+="loglevel=7 quiet fbcon=font:TER16x32 fbcon=nodefer rd.luks.uuid=7f8a7fbb-80b1-4bee-8d35-890f32da1af6 rd.luks.name=7f8a7fbb-80b1-4bee-8d35-890f32da1af6=crypt_root root=/dev/mapper/crypt_root"
hostonly="yes"

The behavior is the same as before - the first few seconds, everything on the LUKS prompt framebuffer within the UKI displays correctly (respecting the kernel cmdline from dracut) but then after a few seconds, it falls back to the default kernel font (too small for my screen).

The ability to generate a UKI (to my understanding) is not present in genkernel.

Has anyone managed to get
Code:
fbcon=font:TER16x32
working on openrc with dracut?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: