Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kj184050
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys:

Quote:
That is no problem. If you want to use X11, then use it. But the conclusion that Wayland is broken, just because you were not able to configure it, is not necessarily the correct conclusion.

I don't want to be sarcastic, but OK, If I don't know how to configure it, please help me to do it. You know that this is impossible, so please stop writing such things which are not true.
The problem is that Wayland is not finished and it is not working with all setups.
If you say that using NVIDIA proprietary driver is uncommon, I am out :)

And I forgot to mention about playing games on Wayland. Ohoh just read about it. Please read about playing games,
It is like a Pandora's box.

Ok. Let's get serious.

It is not only me. Many other people have multiple issues with Wayland. Not small issues, huge issues so we can't use it.

I can post here at least tens of links even from YT of people complaining about Wayland. I spent last week reading about it.
It is just an unfinished product, whereas x11 is fully grown and finished.

I agree many years ago x11 was a disaster. Well, maybe I am exaggerating, but it was not perfect. I had a lot of issues with it.

Now I am waiting for Wayland to be adopted so I can use it flawlessly.

But you see we live in beautiful times :) Back then. there was no alternative :)
Now everyone can choose.
I will definitely check on Wayland from time to time to see the progress. I love the idea.
I will switch to Wayland as soon as possible, but I assume it will take at least a year based on my experience. As I said I tried it many years ago. I can wait :)
Cheers guys!
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj184050 wrote:
And I forgot to mention about playing games on Wayland. Ohoh just read about it. Please read about playing games,
It is like a Pandora's box.
I've been playing games just fine. Most still utilize Xwayland. And all the games I've been playing are Linux native. So YMMV.

kj184050 wrote:
I can post here at least tens of links even from YT of people complaining about Wayland. I spent last week reading about it.
Wayland libraries and compositor develop fast. A lot happens in very short time. The video you watched a week ago might already be old news.

kj184050 wrote:
It is just an unfinished product, whereas x11 is fully grown and finished.
As others have pointed: it's a protocol. Some wayfire compositors are very well "finished". Also x11 being finished is quite precise description: in maintenance-mode. This will most likely mean HDR support will never reach x11. Unless of course folks like OpenBSD devs continue to add new features.

kj184050 wrote:
If you say that using NVIDIA proprietary driver is uncommon, I am out :)
I've heard many complaints about nvidia-drivers being incompatible with wayland. I've also heard that the situation has recently changed. However will nvidia-drivers work with every wayland compositor right now? I doubt.

You should check back on wayland switch after you get confirmation it does work with the compositor you use.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
kj184050
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And all the games I've been playing are Linux native

Here you are.:) It should work with not native too this is the reason proton/wine/steam exist
As far as I know, it has serious issues.

Quote:
You should check back on Wayland switch after you get confirmation it does work with the compositor you use.

I have been using only Gnome since 2002. It is rather a problem of how a certain solution is accepted by others.
It looks like Nvidia and some other important for me software is not willing to adopt Wayland.

I think that this situation is quite similar to clang and gcc. Everyone prise clang, that it is faster and uses less RAM. I found it frustrating that many apps can't be compiled with clang and you have to use a gcc fallback.
I compile with clang only a handful of apps, and it is not as fast as they say. Maybe because I have a 16-core CPU and ggc can utilise it extremely well. For example Gimp compiles faster with gcc (3.5 min gcc vs 4.22 with clang).

I like the idea of Wayland because on paper it seems to be faster. I checked and it is not in my system, at least not nowadays.

Is there any other good place (besides this thread and maybe Phoronix) to follow the progress of Wayland?
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj184050 wrote:
Is there any other good place (besides this thread and maybe Phoronix) to follow the progress of Wayland?

Is "Wayland" The protocol still changing? There is no specific release like X11R4, X11R6 etc...?

From my reading of this thread I think you better follow one specific of implementation of Wayland protocol. Am my understand of this correctly?
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj184050 wrote:
Phoronix is quite good source, but also Lemmy network and Reddit. And, as usual, the mailing lists.
kj184050 wrote:
I think that this situation is quite similar to clang and gcc.
*ahem* ... Wanna try the hard mode? Use musl+llvm profile. I have one laptop with that profile. :P Although it mostly works, Refind was cumbersome and those native Linux games... nope. Those expect glibc. :D
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj184050 wrote:
It seems like Wayland is still under development and you have to be aware that jumping into it can cause you problems.
That old X-based projects haven't migrated shouldn't be surprising. The days of "simple" WM's are gone with wayland (it reportedly takes a lot more code to achieve the same result due to design choices). That makes it less surprising to learn that both KDE and GNOME support wayland, given available development resources.

What I look at is what is available to wayland. I posted somewhere quite a while back at how few options there seem to be for the wayland equivalent of "WMs". Looking again, I'm not sure if the list has changed at all (possibly fewer in ::gentoo?).
Code:
gui-wm/dwl (~0.4-r1): dwm for Wayland
gui-wm/hikari (~2.3.3): Wayland compositor inspired by CWM
gui-wm/hyprland (~0.29.1): A dynamic tiling Wayland compositor that doesn't sacrifice on its looks
gui-wm/sway (1.8.1): i3-compatible Wayland window manager
gui-wm/wayfire (0.7.5): compiz like 3D wayland compositor
That's not much. Worse if you'd prefer to use only unmasked packages.

I don't care much about specific packages, but whether or not wayland has usable alternatives. That's separate from situations where people require Zoom or whatever, which seems like a soft requirement to use a Windows system for business use.

How is wayland support in Fedora? That's probably a better indicator of how "ready" wayland is.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj184050 wrote:
It looks like Nvidia and some other important for me software is not willing to adopt Wayland.
kj184050 wrote:
I think that this situation is quite similar to clang and gcc. Everyone prise clang, that it is faster and uses less RAM. I found it frustrating that many apps can't be compiled with clang and you have to use a gcc fallback.
Nvidia doesn't support Linux well, so it is unsurprising they don't do anything for Wayland. Regarding clang, I think it's performance was better earlier when it didn't do as much. I'm mainly glad that gcc has a competitor.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
pjp wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of exploring another window manager. i3 is close to ideal, but it lacks in a few usability areas.

When I was straight X, I preferred wm's like openbox, a floating wm.
But I'm using a hyprland, a dynamic tiling compositor with the ability to have floating windows,
so I've configured it to look like a stacking wm.

If you get used to i3, then going to wayland via sway is a pretty easy swap, as it's similar but wayland based not X.
From what I've read, sway chose to be an exact functional equivalent to i3. That's good and bad. I'd prefer something else, but I don't know if it exists, even in X.

What I'd like is a cross between a tiling WM like i3 and less fuss than a traditional WM / DE.
  • default maximized windows
  • multiple windows shouldn't overlap -- an "autosnap" to fit (not necessarily fill) remaining space. Dialog boxes can overlap as they are transient.
  • Layout management shouldn't require whatever nightmare i3 chose. (I think it is json. How it is used is the problem, not that it is used. Except to report bugs, I shouldn't have to mess with it)
  • Layout / session restoration.
  • Alt-Tab. Better if it can somehow (without another key) address intra-workspace and inter-worskspace windows.
  • Taskbar supporting icons. (I think I could switch to one, I just haven't bothered to look).
  • dmenu-like launcher. I've spent less time trying to figure how it's configuration works, but I think it's worse than i3 layouts.
I don't think most non-tiling WMs adddress the windowing part. I think session management is still rare, though maybe I'm mistaken.

I think I read a comment that seemed to indicate X and Wayland could coexist... is that true? If so, is there a guide on how to do that?
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
kj184050 wrote:
It seems like Wayland is still under development and you have to be aware that jumping into it can cause you problems.
That old X-based projects haven't migrated shouldn't be surprising. The days of "simple" WM's are gone with wayland (it reportedly takes a lot more code to achieve the same result due to design choices). That makes it less surprising to learn that both KDE and GNOME support wayland, given available development resources.

What I look at is what is available to wayland. I posted somewhere quite a while back at how few options there seem to be for the wayland equivalent of "WMs". Looking again, I'm not sure if the list has changed at all (possibly fewer in ::gentoo?).
Code:
gui-wm/dwl (~0.4-r1): dwm for Wayland
gui-wm/hikari (~2.3.3): Wayland compositor inspired by CWM
gui-wm/hyprland (~0.29.1): A dynamic tiling Wayland compositor that doesn't sacrifice on its looks
gui-wm/sway (1.8.1): i3-compatible Wayland window manager
gui-wm/wayfire (0.7.5): compiz like 3D wayland compositor
That's not much. Worse if you'd prefer to use only unmasked packages.

I don't care much about specific packages, but whether or not wayland has usable alternatives. That's separate from situations where people require Zoom or whatever, which seems like a soft requirement to use a Windows system for business use.

How is wayland support in Fedora? That's probably a better indicator of how "ready" wayland is.

Gentoo is a little lacking in gui-wm dept, probably due to dev manpower, but I do recommend the guru repo for some other choices.
For my uses, I've either learned to modify and/or create ebuilds for non-gentoo wayland choices
I do recommend looking at labwc, and there's river (though in bsd land but still workable)

I don't do gnome of any type, but from reading various articles over time, it seems gnome, especially fedora is embracing wayland, making it default over X.
Edit to add: Afaik even KDE has set wayland as default, and if gnome and kde both embrace it, it must have something to it.
And xfce is in the process of converting to wayland, so when done that will be another full suite for wayland

As far as apps like zoom, etc, they barely work well under X, so not surprised with problems in wayland.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
What I'd like is a cross between a tiling WM like i3 and less fuss than a traditional WM / DE.
  • default maximized windows
  • multiple windows shouldn't overlap -- an "autosnap" to fit (not necessarily fill) remaining space. Dialog boxes can overlap as they are transient.
  • Layout management shouldn't require whatever nightmare i3 chose. (I think it is json. How it is used is the problem, not that it is used. Except to report bugs, I shouldn't have to mess with it)
  • Layout / session restoration.
  • Alt-Tab. Better if it can somehow (without another key) address intra-workspace and inter-worskspace windows.
  • Taskbar supporting icons. (I think I could switch to one, I just haven't bothered to look).
  • dmenu-like launcher. I've spent less time trying to figure how it's configuration works, but I think it's worse than i3 layouts.
I don't think most non-tiling WMs adddress the windowing part. I think session management is still rare, though maybe I'm mistaken.

I think I read a comment that seemed to indicate X and Wayland could coexist... is that true? If so, is there a guide on how to do that?

I think what's being called dynamic tiling compositors is trying to blur the lines between stacking and tiling wm's, it's getting features of both.

I use hyprland, a DTC, I don't care about overlapping windows, but there are smart layouts for autosnapping, but not sure of how well it works.

I dislike json myself, but lots of people/apps use it.

Not sure about layout/session restoring, but should be doable.

Workspace/wiindow switching does require two settings, not sure that can be easily changed/modified

Taskbar, I use waybar and it does have a taskbar module

Several dmenu/drun like choices

I like the fact that hyprland is very configurable, including using ipc to control different actions (sway also does this)

https://wiki.hyprland.org/

When I started playing with wayland, I kept X around, including all the apps/libs/wms so that I could sway over to X if problems.
You have to run them in different consoles, but you would have to do the same with multiple X sessions.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
The days of "simple" WM's are gone with wayland
I think wlroots was made to simplify this.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Gentoo is a little lacking in gui-wm dept, probably due to dev manpower, but I do recommend the guru repo for some other choices.
For my uses, I've either learned to modify and/or create ebuilds for non-gentoo wayland choices
I do recommend looking at labwc, and there's river (though in bsd land but still workable)
I've almost moved away from any customization. I'm wasting too much time where I'd rather be doing something else. I now have too many repos, so I'm looking to get rid of those. Due to mozilla, I now have brave-overlay and librewolf. I have pentoo for the CPU vulnerability checking tool. And a few different apps in a "local" repository. I'm trying to move toward a generic build, perhaps two, one headless and one for a GUI. I'm not sure how much that will gain me in the end, so it may be a fools errand. If not for Microsoft having introduced telemetry and forced reboots, I'd probably still be using Windows as my primary system.

labwc could be interesting. Although watching a video of it gave me flashbacks to using Gnome. That's probably due to GTK. It also reminded me that I don't miss start menus or right-click menus. It may address some of my wish list though.

Hah! Not only is river on BSD and wayland, but it also uses zig and is GPL-3. Talk about fringe choices being made there :). Is it really for BSD? The licensing seems odd.

I think it's OS agnostic. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/River

As an aside, that link mentions the wayland-desktop repo, which may be where I looked last time for WM options.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I don't do gnome of any type, but from reading various articles over time, it seems gnome, especially fedora is embracing wayland, making it default over X.
Edit to add: Afaik even KDE has set wayland as default, and if gnome and kde both embrace it, it must have something to it.
And xfce is in the process of converting to wayland, so when done that will be another full suite for wayland
Other than Xfce, I think both Gnome and Kde announced wayland quite a while ago. I would expect there may be some overlap between those who run X / freedesktop / Gnome / Kde, but I may be mistaken. It's a shame, because in general, I think some of the design choices that went into wayland were wrong.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
As far as apps like zoom, etc, they barely work well under X, so not surprised with problems in wayland.
I agree. This seems to be one of those situations that makes non-Windows (perhaps Mac too) an exercise in flagellation. To put Linux on my laptop, I made the active choice to abandon pursuits that necessitated Windows. Telemetry is the only reason that keeps me dealing with Linux on my laptop. I so wish I could retire and abandon technology.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I think what's being called dynamic tiling compositors is trying to blur the lines between stacking and tiling wm's, it's getting features of both.
That makes sense. Tiling has some positive aspects, but I don't think it is usable in its pure form. Stacking environments seem to go too far in the other direction (loosely using MS Windows as the default example).

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I use hyprland, a DTC, I don't care about overlapping windows, but there are smart layouts for autosnapping, but not sure of how well it works.
It isn't so much that I care about overlapping, rather I don't want to have to manually adjust the size and position all the time. The video of labwc also reminded me just how often other WM solutions seem to demand attention with dialogs and menus. I didn't realize how much I didn't have to deal with that with i3.

hyprland looks interesting, depending on how much use of a mouse it requires. That was the main driver of me switching to tiling. The only time I need to use the mouse for i3 itself is when I need to fit a window (because layout configuration is unusable).

Anon-E-moose wrote:
When I started playing with wayland, I kept X around, including all the apps/libs/wms so that I could sway over to X if problems.
You have to run them in different consoles, but you would have to do the same with multiple X sessions.
That they can coexist makes switching possible. I'd expect that I'll initially need to test wayland environments to eliminate what isn't going to work. If anything is left, then I'd need time to adapt. I'm fine if I encounter something else I hadn't thought of if it ends up better than i3. I may wait until I build a new system, depending on when I do that.

Thanks for the comments.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of additions,

Not sure about other compositor, but hyprland allows me to set which workspace to start an app on as well as window placement (if not full screen)
It does this by allowing multiple binds to the same keystroke, thus allowing something like starting firefox, moving to workspace 2 and centering it (or wherever I want to place it)

Having problems with mouse related pains, ie carpal, even the ergonomic mouse only helped some,
so I picked up a apple magic trackpad 2 (touchpad) and I like using it.
Some things I need a mouse for, but I have a lot of keybindings that bypass using the mouse.

Yeah, I knew river (bsd, zig, etc) was, um, a fringe section, but it does have on going development.
But it's also dynamic tiling, IIRC.

Edit to add: river isn't related to bsd, I was thinking of hikari.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Here you go.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
Here you go.

I'm waiting for gestures to be implemented in hyprland/wlroots/wayland, everything else works fine.
Gestures would be nice, but not strictly necessary as there are other ways of doing things.
Though I do like the fact that firefox understands 1/2 finger gestures for some tasks.

Edit to add: I do have a couple of sites bookmarked that have tools that should work with wayland for gestures, but I've lazily avoided them for now. :)
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, For many of Wayland user here, A question: What is the noticeable gain you feel when using wayland compare to usng xwindows?

• Does it feel faster to start?
  • Does it feel faster when application start?
  • Does it feel better application switching, i.e. easier/quicker/whatnot?
  • Does it have more functionality compare to xwindows?

above just some examples of why wayland is better, I am sure there are more, so can someone share their experience,

I am just being curious after reading [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(protocol)]Wikipedia Wayland[/url] and Wayland FAQI wonder does the project achieved its statement.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Having problems with mouse related pains, ie carpal, even the ergonomic mouse only helped some,
Some things I need a mouse for, but I have a lot of keybindings that bypass using the mouse.
I've never used a touchpad that that was good. I've only briefly used a Mac one, and it didn't seem any better. If I have to, I'll revert to a mouse. But I also don't want a UI that emphasizes that interaction. I have considered a drawing tablet. I wonder if that would work instead of a touchpad.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
  • Does it feel faster to start?
  • Does it feel faster when application start?
  • Does it feel better application switching, i.e. easier/quicker/whatnot?
  • Does it have more functionality compare to xwindows?
I'm using wayfire mainly so I cannot perform comparison, since I never used wayfire in the “dark” X11 era. But it's fast enough. And application switching is pretty effortless. And what comes to functionality, I'll keep the look minimal but have keybindings to make it versalite.

The comparison would be "fair" to make between technical sides of x11 and wlroots for example.

The most compelling thing about wayland for me was to get rid of non-maintained x11 with its over-complex code. x11 needed a fresh start. However the switch hasn't been so seamless to everybody.
If I'd stay with x11, I'd look for the alternatives for xorg-server. There are few.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with X, but it does have it's limitations,
Written for a different era of computing, different concepts of what was needed for client/server.
Hard to shoehorn newer hardware into the codebase (other than video cards and some of them are problematic or perhaps input devices)
It's just lately that hidpi monitors have been easily used under X (and at that the font handling/dpi aspects still suck) don't even mention hdr.

While wayland is a WIP it's perfectly usable for many people.
I can easily use different size monitors, with scaling and mixed dpi from them.
Fractional scaling is being worked on and near being added. Hdr is being worked on to be added.

Using the same computer, with X and wayland setup properly, wayland looks better, slightly snappier.

And as others have mentioned, X is basically in maintenance mode, with only a few new things planned on being added

Edit to add: Another example, I have a 4k 60 hz monitor, and if I add my 2k 165 hz monitor,
it has no problem using both at their refresh rate, or even scaling the 2k up to 4k size, so that both appear as 4k monitors
and it manages to look good in the process, and for the most part it's auto-magically done.
dimko
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: did not read pervious input Reply with quote

Worth, mmmm, may be.
Is there anything wrong with switching to it?

I did not find so far, but then i don't do a lot of screenshotting and remote desktoping.

I found in gnome wayland, FPS for games is slightly more stable, but then i have more decent rig.
I lost ability to do hardware free sync, but otherwise i don't seem to be affected, as a user.
kj184050
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I am back :)

So over two weeks has passed. After my last post, I decided to give it a PROPER try:)
Why?
I just like new things and I don't give up as easily + I have a lot of time these days.
So I decided to solve all my issues, but I was not able to.

General issues on Gnome

• Chromium laggy and slow
  • Jumping cursor (not always, probably solved)
  • Laggy desktop (maybe solved)
  • Issues after switching off the TV (it doesn’t come back, a restart is needed)
  • Firefox is not fluent
  • Firefox font is not ideal (maybe solved)
  • LibreOffice - disappearing menus (e.g. background text fill)

I solved my chromium issues by removing it, :( everything else didn't help

strange prompt behaviour in guake I solved by:
Code:
nvim /etc/environment
XWAYLAND_NO_GLAMOR=1

After fixing it, I installed kitty and alactritty, plus forge for gnome and "hide my top bar" (plus some dconf edits) to use only tiling windows. So no need for guake and its drop-down useful behaviour.

firefox
Code:
vim /etc/environment
MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

Fascinated by dynamic tiling windows, I decided to install Hyprland :)
Oh, gosh... It is my favourite "environment". I don't even use a bar, :) Just windows plus a program launcher. What a beast :)

But, after my first start I didn't have a cursor in Hyprland :)

Code:
nvim /etc/environment
WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1

Solved this.

I also switched to pipewire, finally...

These are only the most annoying issues I had.
I decided to remove gnome, Xorg and gnome and X USE from make.conf and switch to desktop profile instead of desktop/gnome.

And it was too much :) I had no desktop, no virtual console. ctrl+alt+fx didn't work. So I reverted the X and gnome removing in chroot.

But now I don't have Wayland :) Besides that, everything works fine.
I don't have 61-gdm.rules because I removed it earlier.
I don't have Wayland options in gdm.
So I switched to lightdm
The only change was that I saw Gnome on Wayland and Hyprland, but I was not able to log in, lightdm returned to log in screen.

I tried to:

NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1 -- it was 0

Code:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
# NVIDIA drivers options
# See /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-*/README.txt* for more information.

# nvidia-drivers and nouveau cannot be used at same time.
# Comment out the following line if you wish to allow nouveau.
blacklist nouveau

# Kernel Mode Setting (notably needed for EGLStream/Wayland)
# Enabling may possibly cause issues with SLI and Reverse PRIME.
options nvidia-drm modeset=1

# Suspend options. Allocations=0 recommended over =1 unless enable nvidia's
# systemd sleep services (nvidia-hibernate, nvidia-resume, nvidia-suspend),
# but even then may lead to issues on some setups (keep 0 if in doubt).
options nvidia \
    NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1 \
    NVreg_TemporaryFilePath=/var/tmp

# !!! Security Warning !!!
# Do not change the DeviceFile options unless you know what you are doing.
# Only add trusted users to the 'video' group, these users may be able to
# crash, compromise, or irreparably damage the machine.
options nvidia \
    NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27 \
    NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432 \
    NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 \
    NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1

# Should be no need to touch anything below.
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
remove nvidia modprobe -r --ignore-remove nvidia-drm nvidia-modeset nvidia-uvm nvidia

Nothing...

There is something wrong with my setup. I think that Wayland should work fine, but it is not.
I plan to remove gnome and X and leave only basic system again. And after that, install Hyprland and Wayland only without Xorg. Or to install the system from scratch. It is a 4-year-old system, after all.
I just have to have Hyprland :)

here are my modules:

Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia                                                                                                                                          ✘ 127   2:51:10 pm BST
nvidia_uvm           1400832  0
nvidia_drm             69632  8
nvidia_modeset       1265664  17 nvidia_drm
nvidia              55898112  898 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_modeset
drm_kms_helper        204800  1 nvidia_drm
video                  65536  2 asus_wmi,nvidia_modeset
drm                   610304  12 drm_kms_helper,nvidia,nvidia_drm
backlight              24576  4 video,asus_wmi,drm,nvidia_modeset
i2c_core              118784  6 drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,igb,nvidia,i2c_piix4,drm

I think it looks OK
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Missing my killer app... Reply with quote

It is missing my must-have killer app...

x11-misc/rss-glx
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. There's no any official support for screensavers in wayland. Which is suprising. OLEDs aren't that uncommon as PC monitors.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
kj184050 wrote:
kj184050 wrote:
Nvidia doesn't support Linux well, so it is unsurprising they don't do anything for Wayland.

That is a strong statement. I use nvidia-drivers on all my desktops since 2004, and their existence, way before any other manufacturer bothered with writing Linux drivers, is the main reason I am Nvidia customer for now almost 20 years.
Again, my needs are probably specific, those are all workstations used for research, no gaming for instance, but I can't say I can complain about Nvidia support.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say nvidia hardware doesn't work on Linux. A general search should lead to numerous complaints about dealing with nvidia that doesn't make my comment that "strong."

I have an old GT218 / GeForce 210 card with nouveau that works fine as a console / no X. I had to verify it was in that system, that's how much I never deal with it. I think that experience is primarily due to nouveau.
kj184050
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I am not a KDE fan at all,
FYI:
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers
Quote:
This page was last edited on 11 October 2023, at 20:40.

So it is up-to-date.
Do you have any idea why I can't run Wayland?
I reverted everything and still no Wayland. Lightdm is going back to log in screen after selecting a Wayland session.
Nothing in dmesg...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: