Bochs and VMware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomwookie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Bochs and VMware Reply with quote

Is Bochs a good alternative to VMware? I know Bochs is supposed to be slower than vmware, but how much slower? I've used vmware before, but the $300 price tag is pretty discouraging.
m0pr0be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

if you only need to run the emulator occasionally then bochs will be fine. but if you have to rely heavily on it then you would probably use vmware.
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, sorry for the half offtopic, but how do you pronounce bochs? botches? (like blotches without the l)
camouflageX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

box
Plain-old-Jeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bochs emulates a complete computer system i.e. CPU .etc. and can be run on any hardware platform (Read: Non-intel e.g. PPC, Sparc .etc.).

VMware only emulates the parts of the system which need to be emulated I.e. Devices, privlage level 0 CPU instructions (Stuff for pagging .etc.), but normal instructions are directly executed by your physical CPU it is NOT run through an emulated CPU this has the advantages of speed, and access to extra's offered by the procesor e.g. 3Dnow SSE .etc. the offshoot of all those gains is that VMware can only be run on i386 compatibles.

Personally I'd recommend VMware however if you want x-Arch compatibility or a reasonable price tag then Bochs is a far better option, why not try Bochs and see if it suits your needs and if not then VMware is your best option as its performance, networking options and device emulation/access are far superior to that of Bochs.
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having the ~x86 one fail compiling?

a - mul_Xsig.o
ranlib libfpu.a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/bochs-2.0.2/work/bochs-2.0.2/fpu'
echo done
done
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link g++ -o bochs -Os -march=pentium3 -funroll-loops -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES `sdl-config --cflags` `wx-config --cxxflags` `gtk-config --cflags` -DBX_SHARE_PATH='"/usr/share/bochs"' -export-dynamic logio.o main.o load32bitOShack.o state_file.o pc_system.o osdep.o plugin.o \
iodev/libiodev.a cpu/libcpu.a memory/libmemory.a gui/libgui.a \
\
\
fpu/libfpu.a \
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lX11 `sdl-config --cflags --libs` `wx-config --libs` \
\
\
\
\
-lm
mkdir .libs
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/../common/dbtable.dsl:224:13:E: 2nd argument for primitive "ancestor" of wrong type: "#<unknown object 135618624>" not a singleton node list
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/../common/dbtable.dsl:224:13:E: 2nd argument for primitive "ancestor" of wrong type: "#<unknown object 135618624>" not a singleton node list
make[1]: *** [user/book1.html] Error 8
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/bochs-2.0.2/work/bochs-2.0.2/doc/docbook'
make: *** [build_docbook] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
g++ -o bochs -Os -march=pentium3 -funroll-loops -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DBX_SHARE_PATH=\"/usr/share/bochs\" logio.o main.o load32bitOShack.o state_file.o pc_system.o osdep.o plugin.o -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic iodev/libiodev.a cpu/libcpu.a memory/libmemory.a gui/libgui.a fpu/libfpu.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libSDL.so -ldl -lX11 -lXext -lvga -lpthread -lwx_gtk2-2.4 -lm

!!! ERROR: app-emulation/bochs-2.0.2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 47, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed

bash-2.05b#
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plex86 is the opensource equivalent of VMWare (in that it translates kernel calls, rather than emulating an entire processor arch. = SPEED) i honestly don't know how good it is though, i have confidence it will become a good product in the future though :)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elm0 wrote:
plex86 is the opensource equivalent of VMWare (in that it translates kernel calls, rather than emulating an entire processor arch. = SPEED) i honestly don't know how good it is though, i have confidence it will become a good product in the future though :)

Perhaps.. the author (who also made bochs) was unfortuantly laid off from mandrake due to their financial troubles. =(
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame :( Maybe if Mandrake manage to turn things around (I heard things are looking brighter for them now - although maybe this is simply because they've cut costs right down to a minimum) he will get employed with them again. plex86 would really sell, packaged up and supported, to enterprise customers.
Plain-old-Jeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
plex86 is the opensource equivalent of VMWare (in that it translates kernel calls, rather than emulating an entire processor arch. = SPEED) i honestly don't know how good it is though, i have confidence it will become a good product in the future though

Last time I checked they had turned it into a system for running linux on linux, hmmmm does that sound alot like usermode linux, anyone?

Basically what I'm saying is the plex86 project is pretty much dead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: