steam needs udev
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: steam needs udev Reply with quote

Steam needs udev to properly work even with USE="-udev" use flag.
Steam emerges fine without udev installed, but the only accessible tabs are store and library.
Even those pages aren't usable. They just flash between a black screen and a colored unresponsive screen.
Steam does not need udev to be started and it doesn't get started when steam is launched.
Steam works fine with USE="-udev" as long as udev is installed. I have had to install systemd-utils with the udev useflag to make it work.
Any ideas as to how to make steam work without udev?
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what is probably the hackiest solution for this.
I determined that steam, at least with USE="-udev", only calls some functions in /lib64/libudev.so.1.
Because of this, steam works with any implementation of libudev that provides those functions, udev, eudev, etc.
So I took the most minimal implementation of libudev I could find, stripped it of all functionality and instead made all the functions return 0 without doing anything.
You can find that placeholder implementation here: https://github.com/stefan11111/fake-libudev
Maybe someone can see a better implementation of this given all it needs to do, or bypass this entirely.
I have decided to compile placeholder definitions for a few more functions that strictly needed for steam, as I or someone else may need this implementation in the future.
entertainingRiley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: steam needs udev Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
Steam needs udev to properly work even with USE="-udev" use flag.
Steam emerges fine without udev installed, but the only accessible tabs are store and library.
Even those pages aren't usable. They just flash between a black screen and a colored unresponsive screen.
Steam does not need udev to be started and it doesn't get started when steam is launched.
Steam works fine with USE="-udev" as long as udev is installed. I have had to install systemd-utils with the udev useflag to make it work.
Any ideas as to how to make steam work without udev?

Hi there! I can understand the frustration you must be facing with Steam not working properly without udev. Let's see if we can find a solution together.

Firstly, it's important to note that udev is a crucial component for proper functioning of many devices on a Linux system, including Steam. It might not be possible to run Steam without udev, but we can still try a few things to see if it works.

One thing you could try is to make sure that all necessary libraries are installed. Steam requires certain libraries to be present on the system, and if they are missing, it might cause issues. You can try running the following command to check for any missing libraries:

Code:
ldd ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/steamclient.so

If any libraries are missing, you can try installing them and see if it resolves the issue.

Another thing you could try is to use an alternative to udev, such as mdev or eudev. These are lightweight alternatives to udev that might work with Steam. You can try installing mdev or eudev and see if Steam works with them.

Lastly, if none of the above solutions work, you might have to consider installing udev and systemd-utils with the udev useflag, as you mentioned. This is the recommended way to run Steam on a Linux system, and it's possible that there might not be any other solution.

I hope this helps!
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the fix I found in an earlier post.
I do not have .local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/steamclient.so, but I have these:
Code:
$ locate steamclient.so
/home/stefan/.local/share/Steam/linux32/steamclient.so
/home/stefan/.local/share/Steam/linux64/steamclient.so
/home/stefan/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so

I still have problems with some steam games, but those don't seem related to this, as they happen with a full implementation of libudev, like from udev.
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

Steam and games are running after:
1. steam --reset
This deletes protons and other steam libraries. So to run games I set the proton compatibility in the game's properties
2. steam downloaded appropriate libraries/proton and games are running fine.

Anyone having trouble with steam as of now could use these steps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: