Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do you use a swapfile, swap partition, or neither?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a swapfile, swap partition, or neither?
Swapfile
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Swap partition
87%
 87%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 65

ukky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary desktop system would lock in a few weeks without a swap media.

Any other system I use never uses swap storage, though all systems have swap enabled (swap partition).

System will lock without swap media when total application memory plus buffers plus cache reaches physical RAM total.
On my primary desktop system, eventually all RAM will be used, and contrary to what I've read about the cache memory, cache will never be dropped in favor of memory allocation request from application.
Cache/buffer usage is growing fast when a lot of packages are recompiled, especially www-client/chromium, or when rebuilding everything from empty tree (emerge --emptytree).
Another case when system might need swap media is when system has 2GiB or less per CPU core when compiling www-client/chromium.
In one of the tests I was using 2GiB per CPU core, recompiling sys-devel/clang, www-client/firefox, app-office/libreoffice, and www-client/chromium. There was some swap space allocated when all these packages were recompiled.
With 0.7GiB per CPU core system did hang recompiling just sys-devel/clang. System was using 2.6GiB of swap memory when system was locked/hung.

I have noticed a change in cache/buffer memory usage when udev was unmerged from the system (using sys-fs/static-dev now, with CONFIG_DEVTMPFS enabled). This might also be related to removal of CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER from kernel after udev was unmerged.
With udev unmerged, memory usage for buffers/cache doesn't grow as fast as when udev was installed.

When system starts using swap memory the solution is to drop cache, then turn swap off, and then turn swap on.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffers conditionally will be dropped depending if there is backing store (tmpfs in buffers cannot be dropped, but can be swapped!), but caches will be dropped under memory pressure. I can see these numbers going down as memory pressure increases. Note that if you see swap usage of 4GB and you have 4GB of buffers/cache, this is NOT abnormal: this could simply be optimal use of your RAM! Also note if your machine crashes when it runs out of memory, you'll have no way to tell it actually dropped your caches before it crashed and burned :D

Again, yes, having anonymous swap space is good. I was merging gcc-12 [+lto] on an 8GiB machine with -j5, and it went 12GB into swap during lto. The machine actually remained usable during the immense pressure, it was very slow but still responsive to ssh. Caches and buffers dropped significantly, down to less than 200MB or so each of the 8GiB RAM where it normally hovers around 2-3 GB. And yes, I let it finish, and finish it did -- and gcc[+lto] built just fine. Whether I'll let it do this again come next time I build gcc, that probably will be a resounding "no".

There is no reason to not have swap other than if you simply don't have the storage available. And no reason to drop caches unless if you're doing benchmarking.
ukky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

A while ago I had a similar question: Do we still need a swap memory if system has plenty of RAM?
The test confirmed that at least my primary desktop does need a swap memory.
The test was to disable any swap media and let system run for as long as it can.
The result: system did lock/hang when memory usage reached physical RAM size. I did not measure how much time it took, but I believe it was about two or three weeks. No benchmarking was performed during the test, it was regular desktop usage.
System had 5.33GiB per CPU thread in this case, and I have Conky running to monitor memory usage.

It may depend on usage. I tend to have multiple Firefox instances running as a separate processes, and each Firefox instance has quite a lot of tabs open.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need swap if you have sufficient RAM. However, swapping out low value content for high value cache can be beneficial. If your system encounters an out-of-memory event during normal use, then by definition you did not have sufficient RAM for everything you wanted to keep in memory at once. Add more RAM, use less memory, or add swap to handle the overflow.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice some people keeping a zillion tabs open on their firefox or other browser. I would think those who do this would benefit greatly from having swap as those open tabs that are not being looked at are basically consuming memory for no good reason, and memory reclaimed for cache or other use. (Just hope those tabs are also not using cpu resources, which some do ...)

Use pattern makes a difference, and this is one of those that may benefit from swap.

(Me, I always close my browser tabs and windows when I'm done with them. Garbage collected and memory back into the pool for reuse.)
g047
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap file, less headache for something that barely gets used. Easier to use on an encrypted disk too imo.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No swap file, no swap partition, no swap at all.

RAM is cheap nowadays: last week, I bought 32GB RAM for less than 100 US-$.
mistah_monocle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave myself a swap partition twice the size of my ram like the install guide says lol. Im still learning :D
But so far it's never been used. I have 8G of ram and 16G of swap, which I now realize might be insane overkill. :lol:
But it doesn't matter to me cause I never even come close to using most of my disk space anyway, and I like having the swap space there, just in case I ever need it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistah_monocle,

Swap is used for hibernate even then, swap the size of RAM is enough as the hibernate image is compressed.

The kernel has several ways of swapping. The swap partition/file is only one.
Its good to have a small swap space so you get warning of pressure on RAM.
All swapping slows things down, its just that swap space is visible

Having swap and not using it is harmless. Not having swap and needing it, forcing the kernel to swap other ways is bad, as you might think your shiny new 96 core Eypc was faulty.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
mistah_monocle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, someday I'll upgrade and get to experience Gentoo on something better than an old core 2 :lol:
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using a Core2 Quad... actually several Core2 Quads and a Xeon X3000...
As earlier I have 16GB swap on my 8GB (DDR2) RAM machine.
Too bad I cannot put more RAM in this machine, hence depending on swap.

Been RAM limited, my conundrum is whether I should swap my core2 quad with an Atom board that has 16GB DDR3 RAM. More RAM, but it's a slower CPU...
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a swapfile for all my machines. The only one that is actually used though (during GCC upgrade especially (pgo+lto)) is the one on my NAS (Xeon L5408 and 4GB of DDR2, only one slot of ram so can't go higher than that)
user
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither.
Code:
# free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            62Gi        22Gi        10Gi       1.0Mi        28Gi        38Gi
Swap:          8.0Gi       3.5Gi       4.5Gi
# zramctl
NAME       ALGORITHM DISKSIZE  DATA  COMPR  TOTAL STREAMS MOUNTPOINT
/dev/zram1 lz4            20G 97.9M  11.2M  14.2M      16 /tmp
/dev/zram0 zstd            8G  3.5G 700.7M 726.1M      16 [SWAP]
Syl20
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
You do not need swap if you have sufficient RAM.

Interesting, but I'd say : "If you don't need swap, then you have too much RAM". :lol:

I am surprised when I'm reading comments saying "my computer have billons of petabytes of RAM, so I don't need swap". But... am I the unique user who chose Gentoo among others to avoid needing those indecent amounts of useless resources ?

My most loaded server runs, in a hardened (then not so optimized) Core2Quad server :
- 1 Commafeed instance (java + postgreSQL),
- 1 Nextcloud instance (apache + PHP + postgreSQL + redis),
- 1 Firefly III instance (apache + PHP + postgreSQL + redis),
- 1 Keeweb instance (apache),
- 1 Mozilla Syncserver instance (python CGI + postgreSQL),
- 1 shared distfiles network filesystem (Samba),
- 1 Apt-Cacher NG instance (Gentoo package),
and :
Code:
# free -h
               total       utilisé      libre     partagé tamp/cache   disponible
Mem:           3,8Gi       875Mi       528Mi       218Mi       2,4Gi       2,3Gi
Partition d'échange:      2,0Gi          0B       2,0Gi

My workstations....
1/ mine (gentoo + XFCE) :
Code:
$ uptime
 20:11:44 up 43 days,  2:36,  4 users,  load average: 0,84, 1,18, 1,08
$ free -h
Mem:            19Gi       2,4Gi       3,0Gi       268Mi        14Gi        16Gi
Partition d'échange:      8,0Gi        32Mi       8,0Gi

2/ my wife's (LMDE + Mate) :
Code:
$ uptime
 20:14:14 up 51 days, 10:42,  2 users,  load average: 2,82, 1,94, 1,66
$ free -h
Mem:           7,4Gi       3,5Gi       631Mi       780Mi       3,3Gi       2,9Gi
Partition d'échange:      4,0Gi       128Mi       3,9Gi

Of course I need swap. Anyway, my main bottleneck is my terrible internet bandwidth. :?
nikolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main system has 64gb ram so it does not need swap today. I don't use hibernate.
linux_os2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swap partition. never used: 128G ram.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikolis wrote:
My main system has 64gb ram so it does not need swap today. I don't use hibernate.

me too - 32GB RAM - no suspend or hibernate.

8)
enhaced
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do you use a swapfile, swap partition, or neither? Reply with quote

Trademark97 wrote:
Which one do you use? If you use either a swapfile or swap partition, why did you choose that particular swap method? If you don't use either, why did you decide not to use swap?

Personally, I've been using a swapfile for easier resizing (I use XFS as my filesystem and so resizing is tricker than it would be otherwise).

Partition, I've been using Linux since 2010 for servers and as my daily driver since 2021 (pretty late ik) and I've always used a swap partition, I don't see why I would change it for a swapfile either
maalth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 16 GB swap partition. This particular system has 64 GB memory. I've never even come close to using it. My older system I have a 64 GB swap on the HDD. I can't add any more memory to that system and I use it for testing configurations. The swap came in handy for that system because the QT web compile complained about not having enough physical ram, but physical ram and swap was enough.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maalth wrote:
I use a 16 GB swap partition. This particular system has 64 GB memory. [..]the QT web compile complained about not having enough physical ram[..]

So, basically... Your MAKEOPS -j value is over 9000
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, I always set a swap partition. I put it on a secondary hard drive if one exists. Usually at the end of the drive. On my primary desktop (in sig, below) with 16 GB of RAM, I don't really need swap and it's almost not used at all. It's just for insurance. I don't hibernate. The size of my current swap partition is somewhat arbitrary.

Current memory use:
Code:
$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            15Gi       5.8Gi       1.6Gi        21Mi       8.2Gi       9.5Gi
Swap:          8.5Gi        38Mi       8.5Gi

The reported used swap 38Mi almost never changes.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pandoraxero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My use case does not normally require me to use swap at all. I have systems with 32 and 64GB of RAM.
Additionally, if I did have swap it would be on an SSD, and that's just generally a bad idea.
However, if I did have swap, it would be its own partition, not a file.
wayfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use swap partition, But in fact I don’t use it too often. Because 16G is enough for me. After all I did’t want play game in linux :D(Please forgive my English is not so well )
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now my 8 GB Swapfile is not used. But when i Compile my World Update and have large Packages or some Rainbow Table to calculate, the Swap will be need. Maybe for some minor Applications like Browser, Open Documents or my stopped Playlist or some SSH/screen/TMUX-Session.

I feel better with one, cause the system could be have a crash or a Memory-Drain, and freeze every second. So i want to have the possibility to use the Magic Keys with REISUP to Reboot.

Swap was designed for the system to reject a HOLD or Freeze at some Point. It gets ugly slow, but still respond and you still have a responding system. So have some even if you don't need it in 99%.
wwdev16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unencrypted swap has the potential to leave secret keys on the disk.

No swap on any of our systems as none hibernate and we use a build host with plenty of ram for package building. W/o swap, one less detail for system admin.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: