not every package installed is in the world file
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edgaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: not every package installed is in the world file Reply with quote

Ok so like I install my system and stuff right? Only not every package that gets installed makes it into my world file? And as a result they don't get updated with emerge --update world. Any idea why?
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that only stuff you manually install with the emerge command is put into the world file. I like this system because really the only stuff that needs to be updated constantly are the apps you see as a user or administrator. Everything else is just the substructure for this functionality, and needn't be updated constantly; substructure gets updated only when the superstructure needs a dependency filled.

If you want to update "core" stuff, like the kernel, init scripts, etc., do "emerge system" in addition to "emerge world".

If you really want everything updated, check out this thread.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Hypnos mentions, only packages that are emerged "explicitly" by you go into the world file. Packages that are installed only to fulfill dependencies of explicitly installed packages will not be recorded in the world package list. You can actually prevent recording an explicitly emerged package from being recorded into the world file using the "--oneshot" option.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: