Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sensors go batty after enabling halt cooling...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Sensors go batty after enabling halt cooling... Reply with quote

OK, I used the tip here in order to cool my VIA KT333 (yes, it does have the same register layout as the 233). It would reliably lock up the machine until I turned the AGP interface down to 2x, but that's a known issue with AMDs.

lm_sensors (through ksensors) reports a believable drop in ambient temp to 35, from 42. This is good, and to be expected. However the CPU temp goes mad, dropping to a reported -100 degrees. Now if that was true it would be nice, I imagine a CPU held at 173 degrees kelvin could do some serious overclocking, but I know it's not true!

Now ksensors offers me a multiplier to calibrate the readings, but what in hell do I calibrate from? Using -0.5 gives a nice sensible reading of 52 degrees, but how to I know this is in any way linked with reality? Or do I just set an alarm for 15 degrees above what it is now, regardless of the real temp?
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try "sensors" from the commandline? Maybe it's a KSensors problem.
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvo wrote:
Did you try "sensors" from the commandline? Maybe it's a KSensors problem.

OK, I've found that while the cooling makes it go completely crazy, it is a long long way from accurate. For example, before cooling I am sat at a nice 46 degrees. Without enabling cooling I put on a bit of load, glxgears is good. After one minute the readout is 103 degrees and slowly climbing. I know the die cannot withstand that and sensors confirms a reading of 103 (now 105...), so how can I calibrate the sensor? Unfortunately I can't compare these numbers with the BIOS report because they fall too quickly after removing the load, even doing a hard reset while on load, by the time I get to the BIOS utility it's back to the steady idle temp.
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look to /etc/sensors.conf, there is a lot of helpfull information.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: