Elden Ring
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritzmax72
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Elden Ring Reply with quote

Has anyone be able to run Elden Ring on Gentoo steam?
There are some articles recommending to use flatpak version of Steam to run the Game. I don't want extra repo support and if gentoo overlay can do it itself then it's best.
I have wine installed; I tried copy-paste trick of steam_protected_game.exe; used proton experimental with bleeding edge; but Elden Ring crashes after white screen. Can someone help?
Irets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elden Ring seems to the EOS implementation of EAC.

From what I've experienced and read, that type of EAC implementation doesn't currently play nice with Gentoo+steam-overlay. Is that the overlay you're using for Steam?
I haven't got around to making a bug report of it yet.

Please, post the contents of the following files:

...steamapps/compatdata/1245620/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/anticheatlauncher.log
...steamapps/compatdata/1245620/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/service.log

And the contents of loader.log, which is found inside the two folders that have a foldername consisting of random characters & numerals, at ...steamapps/compatdata/1245620/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/ .
If you can't seem to find it, you can locate it by running find * -iname "loader.log" inside the EasyAntiCheat folder to see it's file path.

Could you also capture the output that gets printed in your terminal when Elden Ring is trying to launch?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Gamers & Players.
davidknippers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irets wrote:
From what I've experienced and read, that type of EAC implementation doesn't currently play nice with Gentoo+steam-overlay. Is that the overlay you're using for Steam?
I haven't got around to making a bug report of it yet.

I've been having this issue with steam-overlay as well. I installed the flatpak version alongside steam-overlay and it works without issue.

Irets wrote:
Please, post the contents of the following files:

...steamapps/compatdata/1245620/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/anticheatlauncher.log
...steamapps/compatdata/1245620/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/service.log

And the contents of loader.log, which is found inside the two folders that have a foldername consisting of random characters & numerals, at ...steamapps/compatdata/1245620/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/ .

Could you also capture the output that gets printed in your terminal when Elden Ring is trying to launch?

I have put the information requested in this gist:

https://gist.github.com/daveknippers/ef28b44d53d1b049aa803ac2052a4be5

Thanks for taking a look at it. I'd love to see that fixed. If you need anything else, please let me know.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it working...
There was a time it worked with the "proton experimental bleeding-edge" but it doesn't anymore (crashes on white screen at at start-up).
It does work with Glorious Eggroll 7.9 (just extract it to ~/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d and restart steam, it'll show up as a "compatability tool")

On to multiplayer...
The EAC launcher bitches out in a native steam, but can be bypassed by setting
/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 modules-cdn.eac-prod.on.epicgames.com

The EAC launcher works in a flatpak steam, but my controller won't so that's a no go for me.
Up until the 1.04 patch dropped yesterday, the /etc/hosts hack worked fine, but now forces you to play in "offline" mode.

My own investigations continue, I think I need a doze version of strace to see where the native version fails in comparison to the flatpak, I only see file calls to the "outside" if I strace the pid running under wine.
Just in case someone has some input, a working EAC launcher downloads a file called linux32_64 from modules-cdn.eac-prod.on.epicgames.com and extracts it to two files easyanticheat_linux_x86_x64.eac and easyanticheat_linux_x86_x64.eac.metadata. The "non-working" launcher gets the download file, but doesn't extract it into the files needed (hacky workarounds setting the working files to 444 also cause failure).
Irets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidknippers,

Your log files are identical to mine at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147585-highlight-.html
Although I cannot say for sure if Elden Ring not launching is affected by EOS EAC, it seems a very likely candidate as we're seeing EAC failures and the game works on Flatpak, on which EAC also works.

Unfortunately, I do not know what could be done or how to start troubleshooting this myself, but Chewi gave a suggestion on Github.
Irets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EAC issue was caused by export libc_cv_hashstyle=no in the ebuild of glibc-2.34-r10.

A fix has been pushed out and will probably soon land stable on ::gentoo.

For those who run amd64 systems and don't want to upgrade into a testing version of glibc, I've created this simple patch to apply for glibc-2.34-r10.

Code:
--- a/configure
+++ b/configure
@@ -14,6 +14,10 @@
 ## M4sh Initialization. ##
 ## -------------------- ##

+#Fix hash setting for EAC EOS Steam games
+unset libc_cv_hashstyle
+
+
 # Be more Bourne compatible
 DUALCASE=1; export DUALCASE # for MKS sh
 if test -n "${ZSH_VERSION+set}" && (emulate sh) >/dev/null 2>&1; then :
cihancan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it works on my end, i have a nvidia 3060 Mobile GPU and to get DX12 titles work with it before running game im writing this command.

nvidia-modprobe -u -c=0

This let me get past of white screen at the start.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: