Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.4, 2.5, 2.6 kernel? whats good for what?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 kernel? whats good for what? Reply with quote

Im a little confused with the kernel version numbers.
If the 2.6 series is the newest, why are there still releases for 2.4 and what about 2.5?

Will 2.4 ever become 2.6?

Are there any immediate advantages or disadvantages to using 2.6 as opposed to sticking with 2.4?
What about 2.5?
Is it like: 2.6. unstable but cutting edge, 2.4 stable and well tested but behind on newest features, 2.5 somewhere in between?

Perhaps some kernel experts can clarify this for me or point me to some enlightening webpages.

Cheers. :D
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Linux odd version numbers are unstable releases, while even ones are stable releases.

2.4 is the previous stable release - it is well tested, but still has a few minor flaws hence the occasional patching.

2.5 was a testing branch to try things out in advance of 2.6

2.6 is the next stable release, currently in feature freeze the developers are working on ironing out any last remaining bugs before declaring it as stable.

2.6 is just so damn fast it's unbelievable! I'd definitly try 2.6, but since it's not offically stable you might have some problems with it - I haven't though.

HTH,
Andrew
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 kernel? whats good for what? Reply with quote

ChojinDSL wrote:
Im a little confused with the kernel version numbers.
If the 2.6 series is the newest, why are there still releases for 2.4 and what about 2.5?

Will 2.4 ever become 2.6?

the way I understand it is this:

2.6 is what will be, 2.4 is what was, when 2.6 is out of beta 2.4 will stop progressing, except some people will not like 2.6 for whatever reason and keep patching it with new stuff, in the same way you can still get 2.2 kernels if you try real hard.

2.5 is the development branch that lead to 2.6, not for production use at all, just for devs to play with.

Quote:

Are there any immediate advantages or disadvantages to using 2.6 as opposed to sticking with 2.4?

yes just don't ask me for specifics.....
Quote:

What about 2.5?

maybe...d:o)
Quote:

Is it like: 2.6. unstable but cutting edge, 2.4 stable and well tested but behind on newest features, 2.5 somewhere in between?

yeah
Quote:

Perhaps some kernel experts can clarify this for me or point me to some enlightening webpages.

Cheers. :D

phew...that help? unless I'm compleatly wrong that is.....

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
Starborn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the kernel goes on an odd/even cycle. Odd kernel versions (2.1, 2.3, 2.5 etc) are development series kernels - that is, kernel that are being actively developed, and thus unstable. Even kernel versions are what odd versions become when development stops. So, 2.5 is dead - completely replaced by the stable branch 2.6. 2.4 is the older stable branch, a lot of people won't be upgrading to 2.6 immediately (especially server admins) so there will still be updates to the 2.4 series for some time. 2.2 is still being updated in the same manner, so is 2.0.

"I think ecchi things are good, especially mahoromatic" - Me.
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean that if any improvements are still made to the 2.4 kernel, these improvements will be available in the 2.6 kernel?
soebbi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvements to the 2.4 kernel are almost always backports of advantages introduced by the 2.6 kernel for people who like the 2.4 kernel for whatever reason more that the 2.6 (e.g. you can get the 2.6 scheduler for 2.4 i believe).
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even releases 2.4, 2.6 are the stable branches.
odd releases (2.3, 2.5) indicates development branches.

We have just finished a long development cycle with 2.5 and are in 2.6.0 prerelease state, I would say 2.6test11 more stable that most 2.4 kernels at this point, it still has known bugs but Andrew is on vacation right now so no commits to mainline atm. As Linus has tried something new this time - handing over STABLE to the maintainer from the word go so he can concentrate on what's fun - like breaking the kernel in all new and innovative ways.
Bar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd add easier way to see 2.6 is its just the newest 2.5 with a new name to get more people to use it. Most people see it as safer when its called the beta of the new stable rather then the development branch.

"Don't take life to seriously. It isn't as if you will actually live through it anyways"-Elbert Hubbard
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the record, ck-sources are at least as fast, if not faster than 2.6.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:

How do you back that statement - I found in benchmarks that Love-sources outperforms any 2.4 kernel and quite a few 2.6 kernels..

I would REALLY like to know why you make such a bold statement !
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With gaming-sources, I achieved superior desktop performance to every 2.6 kernel I could find... except for wgi-sources. Damn, wgi-sources was what got me on 2.6, they're without doubt the best patchset ever.

2.6 - It'll r0x0r YouR b0x0r ;)
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild, I know you aren't doing the love sources anymore (triator :P), but could you find me a list of the benefits over the latest development-sources?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clete2 wrote:
Lovechild, I know you aren't doing the love sources anymore (triator :P), but could you find me a list of the benefits over the latest development-sources?

Somebody else has taken on the job, I appointed steel300 to lead the merry bunch of hackers (I still do patches).

I'm talking native, in the kernel stuff not horriblly broken backports.

Advantages:

Block Layer redone from scratch - removes a lot of the stability problems in 2.4
New VM, RMAP - vm done more right than before.
Scheduler improments - no skipping, even while emerging 10 things at once here.
ide-scsi went bye bye - meaning pure ATAPI burning, no more SCSI emulation shit, much faster.
devfs going bye bye - it was crap anyways, the idea was nice but prone to raciness, udev will be safer
preemptive scheduling.
did I mention we can keep 60 drive spindles soaked with the new BIO ?
NPTL support
ALSA, thread/smp safe, better drivers, better API.
SE Linux - the paranoids love this
IPv6 is improved
Generic x86 optimization support - distro vendors will love this (genkernel user will to)
sysfs... need I say more?

But basically 2.6 has fixed the fundation on which the kernel is build so the whole thing is more solid and faster...

I could go on, but really you will notice the difference, especially under load - there's a reason Linus has been writing Distro vendors asking them to release distros based on 2.6 as fast as humanly possible - it's simply better... much better.
Yen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Linux is not MS who tell us to buy their new product when a newer version comes out.
There is one next release for 2.4 series, next releases for 2.4 wille only be security fixes....

2.5 is the development verison of 2.6 (so 2.5 is not used anymore).

2.6 is the newest Linux kernel, most desktop users will upgrade to 2.6 (cos 2.6 haves NTFS write support, ALSA and more)

Server admins will wait before they upgrade cos they need stability and not NTFS and ALSA.

Grtz Yen
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
gsfgf wrote:

How do you back that statement - I found in benchmarks that Love-sources outperforms any 2.4 kernel and quite a few 2.6 kernels..

I would REALLY like to know why you make such a bold statement !

I haven't done any benchmarks, but it feels as fast as dev and mm-sources and seems to lag less when i'm emerging. I haven't used love enough to have a decent comparison. My computer's kinda fucked, so i haven't been able to build recent 2.6 kernels(or much of anything), though.
RandomWalk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: ck-sources Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give people a head's up. I'm the maintainer of the ck patchset (not the ebuild). The patchset is now available at http://www.plumlocosoft.com/kernel/

-RW
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: ck-sources Reply with quote

RandomWalk wrote:
Just thought I'd give people a head's up. I'm the maintainer of the ck patchset (not the ebuild). The patchset is now available at http://www.plumlocosoft.com/kernel/

-RW

All hail the new Con Kolivas (A brilliant mate might I add)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: