View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Masked Gnome2 Stuff Reply with quote

Has anyone tried upgrading to the masked Gnome stuff at the top of /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask?

Just curious if people had a successful time upgrading and if you did, please explain how stable it is compared to gnome2.0
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm compiling right now. I definetly suggest to install Metacity 2.4 though as it rocks and is much improved above 2.3. The install went very smooth for me, it just breaks old themes and the metacity-setup theme handling because it stores themes in /usr/share/themes/[themename]/metacity-1/ now instead of /usr/share/metacity/themes/[themename]/. With some moving around and copying (you can make them work though, especially the newer ones like Wonderland (very slick).
Many annoying bugs are removed, for example do new windows get activated now and the minimazing animation looks quite ok now. Another change is that panels are always on top now which makes it to _me_ a lot more usable while others will (and already do) bitch about it. ;)
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i tweak the metacity-setup program to look for themes in the new location? Im a newb so a little walkthrough would be nice ;)
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't. Just place a "fake" folder in /usr/share/metacity/themes so Metacity-Setup thinks it's there and offers to set it. ;)
I just found this out by trial and error so there might already be better solutions. Of course you can also always set the gconf key to set your theme manually with gconf-editor.
tsuru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until metacity (fluxbox too) allows you to unmap the Alt+Mouse bindings it's useless to people who like doing 3D work... specifically Maya people.

Although looking at metacity section in GConf looks like it might be able to ... but not for certain yet.
endoalpha
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsuru wrote:
Until metacity (fluxbox too) allows you to unmap the Alt+Mouse bindings it's useless to people who like doing 3D work... specifically Maya people.

How true... I have been looking for an answer to this 'problem' for months, apparently there is no answer short of modifying the source code...
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unmasked it. after trying to update world, and getting no results (other than another new portage, of course, and a few other items that had nothing to do with my newly unmasked ebuilds.

I used this script, (found here https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6050#c2) because alot of my gnome packages were not listed in the world file.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
WD=/var/cache/edb/

mv ${WD}/world ${WD}/world.old
qpkg -nc -I>${WD}/world
emerge world -u
mv ${WD}/world.old ${WD}/world

I'd seriously reccommend making a separate script that tags a -p at the end of the emerge world -u command, so you can see what will be changing!

Anyway, I'm using it now. There was a minor gnome update a little while ago that changed the gnome panel prefrences window, but with this update, most of it seems to be below the surface (i dont use metacity, i switched to sawfish right off the bat).

The *only* thing i dont like about gnome 2 is that mplayer fullscreen still has the gnome panels over top. I think its a problem with mplayer though, as games such as unreal tournament and bzflag work fine.

What specifically were the changes to metacity. If they did indeed fix that focus problem, I might have to try it again.
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, running it now since yesterday, I had a lot of compiling problems but those are most probably specific to my system and they were all "fixable".
All the bugs I were aware of were fixed so I'm happy with this. It won't change a lot, just minor adjustments.
As for other Metacity changes, see this thread:
http://help.gnomedesktop.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=283
mikulus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this and and it works:

Code:
cd /usr/share/metacity
ln -sdf /usr/share/themes/ themes

Now I can see and use all the themes with metacity-setup 2.4.0.
bod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running the new stuff for a few days - no problems compiling and no stability problems.
Icon changing on the panel now works correctly, and Metacity does indeed autofocus a new window.

The only annoyance is the *#$&ing taskbar which is now *always* on top - mplayer, xine and even Warcraft III can't cover it.
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bod wrote:
The only annoyance is the *#$&ing taskbar which is now *always* on top - mplayer, xine and even Warcraft III can't cover it.
I agree with you there.

It looks like the new gnome updates are unmasked (still some apps near the bottom though). I just built gentoo on my laptop and it works great, but for some reason my desktop refuses to compile the new gnome updates...
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get the wonderland theme, i can't seem to find any metacity themes (themes.org ahs only 2 )
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the Bluecurve (the new name of Wonderland) themes, follow this instructions:
http://help.gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=348

You will find themes there for Gtk1, Gtk2, XMMS, Nautilus, Metacity, GDM (couldn't make this work, don't know if it's completeted) and even KDE(!) there (which I also couldn't make work but my KDE installation is quite primitive), so you can get a _very_ integrated desktop appearance. :) I love it, I just prefer Metabox (it's a new standard Metacity theme which seems to be modelled after blackbox/fluxbox) to the Bluecurve Metacity theme right now, for some reason I can't get myself to like the rounded corners of Bluecurve. :/ And Metabox is pretty stylish.
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desktop after some "redhat-love". :D
Showing Gtk1 (Galeon, Gaim) and Gtk2 (Nautilus, Preferences) apps, also XMMS and Metacity theme is Metabox.
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the wonderland themes from Redhat's rpm for gtk 1 & 2. Im using sawfish, as it still kicks the pants off of metacity thus far (although granted, i havent given the new metacity much of a shot, i will do that this weekend).

I think if i was to use metacity, THIS would be THE theme to use. http://tigert.gimp.org/files/metacity/TigertCrack.png
gravis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Metacity themes Reply with quote

I always had pb with metacity ... Even if the themes I installed were listed, I couldn't use them.

A tip :

ebuild /usr/portage/x11-wm/metacity/metacity-2.3.987-r2.ebuild merge

it works now !
sisob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 2.0.2rc1 - great stuff

Works prefectly and compiled perfectly and there are loads of bugs
gone

Metacity-setup is a bit broken ATM - just use gconf-editor
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: