Is Gentoo that fast?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Is Gentoo that fast? Reply with quote

I was at fry's today and noticed that they had a box set up with Suse 8.2 and an Athlon 64. I wanted to fool around with it so after getting the guy to enter the login pass I was off. I'll say I was disappointed with the performance. I kept thinking that for a system with a 2ghz Athlon 64 and 500 megs of ram it felt awfully slow. Dragging windows around was very jumpy and Oo took forever to open. I didn't fool around too much on it but those were my first impressions. I don't know what it was but this system felt slower than my 1.4ghz athlon t-bird with 256megs of ram. I don't know if it's just my gentoo install is a good bit faster than Suse or what. I'm using a 2.4 kernel, but I have preemption and low-latency scheduling activated. I'm thinking that must have a little to do with it.
Beekster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Linux skills (or lack thereof) of guy that built it would be quite relevant here. Choppy window dragging would have me guess that drivers for whatever video card or chipset it's using have not been set up.

As for Oo, who knows? The system could have a mix of 32 and 64 bit software on it for all we know. If the chipset support isn't properly configured, the IDE access might not have DMA enabled. The possibilities are almost endless.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that,
plus removing the bloat in your kernel (since it's not precompiled)
plus a small contribution of the -O flags

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
DarrenM
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been a process in the background chewing processor time or something like dma not being enabled. There shouldn't be much, if any, noticable performance differences between distributions on a fast machine.

Could have had a crappy video card too.
Cerement
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Gentoo, I think it comes down to an accumulation of small factors, each one minor on their own, but combined with others, create an overall impress of speed and responsiveness.

gentoo-sources kernel -- The gentoo-sources package contains specially tuned performance kernel patches designed to optimize tasks such as compiling while listening to music and browsing the web.

preemptible kernel and low-latency scheduling enabled -- greater desktop responsiveness

DMA enabled -- better hard disk and CD-ROM performance

gcc compiler flags -- choosing between -O0, -O1, -O2, -O3, -Os plus a myriad of little fine tweaks allowing you to create code that takes the best advantage of your particular processor and its abilities

When you compare that against binary Linux distros aimed at the masses (minimal kernel tuning (vanilla-sources), no preemptible or lowlatency, minimal DMA, and binaries compiled for i386 or i486 processors), you can really begin to see the differences ...
jcmorris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, SuSE 8.2 is 32-bit only. In addition, SuSE is not the most optimized system, and has always run slowly for me. An Athlon 64 running Gentoo would definitely outpace SuSE, and running 64-bit Gentoo would yield and incredible performance increase.

jcm
1GB Dual-Channel DDR 3200
NVidia Geforce 6800 256MB

Laptop:
IBM R40
Pentium M 1.4 GHz
256 MB RAM
bleakcabal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Gentoo that fast ?

No.

It's not that fast but it's still fast enough, id say about this fast.

( Just joking, I couldn't resist, well I tried to resist to urge to post this for a whole day but it was getting at me )
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing about the -O flags: don't get too optimistic that the biggest -O number gives the best (fastest) code ...there're cases (athlon in my case) which work faster with -O2 flag then with -O3 ...also there's the -Os flag, which i don't really remember what it stands for.
i think there's a -O flag doc somewhere int the gentoo docs. - take a look :D

it's probably not THAT much faster by default, but IF you know how to optimise it, gentoo gives you the most space and possibilities to do so.

Cerement
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-O1, -O2, and -O3 in basic form are supposed to be straight speed optimizations, each one adding in a couple of factors not available in earlier versions

-Os is optimize for size -- according to the gcc docs, it's mostly -O2 optimizations but when there's a tradeoff between space and size, it opts for size

-Os has started to become popular for desktop Gentoo installs -- the smaller the file is, the less time it takes to read from disk, the less time it takes to load into memory -- less memory it uses, the less need of using swap space, the less swapping happens ...
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerement wrote:

-Os is optimize for size -- according to the gcc docs, it's mostly -O2 optimizations but when there's a tradeoff between space and size, it opts for size

thanks for the explanation :D

[OT]
i sooooooo loooooove the gentoo community :D
...sorry for the emotional outburst, but it's hard working in a place full of win*-using RH zealots ...especially as the guy who's supposed to make a distro for them :cry:
[/OT]

philwozza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO SUSE is about as fast as an asmatic ant carrying a large case with suse 8.2 and all its manualls on its back.... enough said :lol:
speedster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: suse vs. gentoo Reply with quote

SUSE is mainly for those who want a dumbed-down Linux, similar to Mandrake. Easy to set up (maybe takes 20 minutes), easy to use, but quite a bit slower. I've used both for several years before taking the "Gentoo leap of faith" and will never go back! I have learned way more using Gentoo and my system is about 20-30% faster, it seems.

All in all, Gentoo is the way to go.
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can't trust a guy named speedster on the subject of speed, who can ya trust :)
trajedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beowulf wrote:
if you can't trust a guy named speedster on the subject of speed, who can ya trust :)

lol.. but that saying is so true..
speedster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so I can't think up any cool screenname! Oh well, guess I'll survive! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: