Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
good source editor
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: good source editor Reply with quote

I am looking for suggestions on a goos source editor for use in X. I love emacs and all, but I want something that's nice and graphical and can highlight syntax. I have installed gedit and nedit, but gedit doesnt highlight stuff, and nedit has a weird interface. I like nedit more so far, but I am looking for other suggestions, or a plugin or something for gedit.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try glimmer or SciTE ... they are both GTK-based. The former is a heavyweight, the latter cleaner and smaller (a la nedit).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this thread as well. I'm pretty sure there was another, but I didn't spot it in my search.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find XEmacs' syntax highlighting (with cc-mode and cperl-mode) helpful.
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I just installed scite. awesome.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beattie wrote:
wow, I just installed scite. awesome.

While I did recommend Glimmer and SciTE, I should say that nedit is a very mature editor with a bevy of very useful features. My favorite is that it can be launched in server/client mode!
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm Emacs is:
* graphical
if started in X.... has toolbars/menus etc

* and can highlight syntax..
both console (emacs -nw) and do have syntax highlighting... M-x font-lock-mode (maybe you didn't set USE="colors" ? )

plus... emacs can do DTD validation of a document... think HTML documents for instance.. proper indentation and validation tells you if you actually typed it right :) ie... if you accidently put a <LINK> outside the <HEAD> section it will tell you that LINK cannot be put there.

Then there is the per mode helper bindings (C-h m)

Plust if you, like me, program with Qt, you can get the kde elist package that has extra bindings for .cc/.cpp & .h coperation... ie.. automatic member function generation etc.

Find me an editor that can do all that (methinks that when Kate matures more ie, more plugins etc, it will be able to do most....)

-- Arjen
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

credmp wrote:
mmmm Emacs is:
* graphical
if started in X.... has toolbars/menus etc

* and can highlight syntax..
both console (emacs -nw) and do have syntax highlighting... M-x font-lock-mode (maybe you didn't set USE="colors" ? )

plus... emacs can do DTD validation of a document... think HTML documents for instance.. proper indentation and validation tells you if you actually typed it right :) ie... if you accidently put a <LINK> outside the <HEAD> section it will tell you that LINK cannot be put there.

Then there is the per mode helper bindings (C-h m)

Plust if you, like me, program with Qt, you can get the kde elist package that has extra bindings for .cc/.cpp & .h coperation... ie.. automatic member function generation etc.

Find me an editor that can do all that (methinks that when Kate matures more ie, more plugins etc, it will be able to do most....)

-- Arjen
Cool, never knew it could do so much. Gonna have to try it out sometime(when i get my box working again).
Chris W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emacs is a monster to learn, but a might powerful beast to have at one's command.
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could say it is a monster to learn. ie there are 2 parts to learning Emacs.. the editing and the programming...

The editing is learned as fast as any other editor..

Arrows moves around
Ctrl + h + i brings up the info pages and the rest one can read about. It is a bit unconventional having to use the Ctrl and Alt keys... but remember the first times you did 'ESC :'? :)

Once you have the basic keys under control you can find help on anything else... esp M-x woman or M-x psychoanalyze-pinhead :)

If you install XEmacs be sure to also install teh sumo package emerge -s xemacs :)

-- Arjen
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use can also "viper" within emacs. Then you can use most vi commands + keybindings plus of all of emacs' goodies.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always vim/gvim - yes it has the bizzare, hard to learn, yet strangely efficient vi interface, but it has all the features an editor could need. There are some options that need to be turned on before it becomes very usable (I couldn't make the switch to any vi-clone until vim added virtualedit), and it does take a week or two to get everything configured nicely (syntax highlighting using good colors, keymappings for common or complex operations, understanding compiler integration, visual selections, folds, etc.) It also has vimdiff which has to be about the coolest thing ever in a text editor. On top of all that it's still surprisingly lightweight (to load up and use that is).
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to desktop forum. Locking thread as this has been discussed before, as kanuslupus pointed out.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: