View previous topic :: View next topic  
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
desultory wrote:
Jaglover wrote:
Will there be "ignore this member" function available?
Probably not, given that doing so in full generality is at least somewhat tricky (consider handling quotes in some degree of depth and you can at least spot the entrance to the rabbit hole). If you know of an addon for phpbb 3 that does what you want, do let us know.

I don't know phpbb3 but in the demo under 'User Control Panel' there is 'Friends & Foes' tab where I read
Quote:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

I'm not sure if is what you want
Now that you mention it, I do recall that having been present, but I have not actually tested it so I do not have any relevant opinion on it. Besides, I was not the one looking for such a feature (I am not really in a position to use it anyway :wink:).
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Now that you mention it, I do recall that having been present, but I have not actually tested it so I do not have any relevant opinion on it. Besides, I was not the one looking for such a feature (I am not really in a position to use it anyway :wink:).

Yes sorry, the reply was for Jaglover but probably I've already been put on the foe list :P
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chance to implement a sort automatic link with the wiki pages through keywords?
I try to explain myself, when I write for example wgetpaste the forum create a link to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wgetpaste.
Some other examples can be:

and so on
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully automatic linking could have confusing consequences if people who are unaware of it start triggering it accidentally. I think it would be safer to augment the quick-format buttons with buttons for the popular help pages (wgetpaste, etc.) to provide one-click pastes for the people who want to reference it and link to it.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Fully automatic linking could have confusing consequences if people who are unaware of it start triggering it accidentally.

That's true, but maybe add a checkbox to enable this feature like BBCode? Anyway also quick-format buttons is a good solution
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another point on the wishlist:
Every now and then someone posts a poll. Polls currently implemented require the poster to come up with all the possible options up-front, which is OK when asking "which color do you prefer, red or blue?", but it does not let you get the answer to "what is you favorite color?"
Adding "other - post in a comment" doesn't really help that much either, it's difficult to collect the information scattered over many (bloated) posts.

Perhaps it would be possible to add respondent-editable polls. Like in: choose an existing option from the list or add your own.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Perhaps it would be possible to add respondent-editable polls. Like in: choose an existing option from the list or add your own.

It's undoable in polls
If you allow post edit, you can trick the poll result: ie: yes/no , swap to no/yes later, or yes/no/perhaps change to yes/no/no but this or that

And if you allow a user to create his own entry, you will always end with red/blue/(user)light blue with a somehow touch of cyan
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I'm knocking a couple of questions or answers out back-to-back. Although not allowing rapid posts is good anti-spam, it would be nice as a valid user to answer an unanswered post real quick and turn right around and post a question of my own.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sarcasm]
Silence!

We shall not discuss the forum upgrades again! It's never happening! HAHAHAHAHA!
[/sarcasm]
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thought we were getting it over and done with finally around last December, but right now the process is in the hands of the Gentoo infra team. Well, one member of the team, and the forums upgrade isn't too close to the top of their priority tree.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From council log 20210110
Code:
19:27 <@Whissi> antarus: What's the forum's upgrade status?
19:27 <@Whissi> Or is Christmas still coming for you? *duck* ;-)
19:27 <+antarus> the status is unchanged from teh last council meeting
19:28 <+antarus> the new software is installed, but we need to do the import of the existing forums (basically a DB migration)
19:28 <@gyakovlev> Whissi: I, for example, have to celebrate both 25 dec and 7 jan Christmases, so it's just concluded. a lot of holidays.
19:28 <+antarus> and its buggy and takes forever and hasn't completed successfully
19:29 <@Whissi> antarus: Are you the only one involved/working on that or do you have to coordinate with someone?
19:29 <+antarus> just me currently
19:29 <@mattst88> antarus: thanks for the update. no problem from me
19:29 <@Whissi> OK, thank you for the update.
19:30 <+antarus> if arzano finds copious spare time after his move
19:30 <+antarus> perhaps I'll delegate
19:30 <+antarus> he is good at getting shit done, heh

ezzieyguywuf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear forum users,

I have not read this thread in its entirety. Rather, I have had some conversations recently with antarus regarding the Gentoo [strikethrough]Council[/strikethrough] Foundation funds, and I've been brainstorming some ideas of how we might better spend the funds we have. One of the topics that came up was the forum upgrade/migration.

So, I have a few questions for this community:

1. how important is it to you that we continue to use phpBB?
2. What if we paid for a service such as vbulletin - this would be some short-term headaches in migrating everything over (I guess we're already experiencing these headaches anyway) with the long-term gain that "someone else" will take care of this for us

As an alternative to transitioning to a paid service such as vbulletin, another idea is to pay a contractor to execute the database migration and "other" stuff that is necessary to use the newer phpBB - however this is a short-term fix, and inevitably we'll end up in the same situation at some point in the future.

I should point out - some concerns have been raised about vbulletin and whether or not it requires javascript to work properly - at the moment, I can neither confirm nor deny if it requires javascript, however I can think of a third question:

3. How important is it to you that the forum works with javascript disabled?

Last edited by ezzieyguywuf on Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezzieyguywuf,

The council has no funds. They are not a legal entity.
Gentoos funds are held by the Gentoo Foundation, of which antarus is a trustee.

phpbb3 and phpbb2 have quite different admin interfaces. As I don't have the skills to contribute to the update, the work done so far has been done by others.
At one time that, included a practice database migration. I'm aware that it took several attempts but I don't have the details to hand.

Personally, I'm not sold on phpbb3 but I'm against a paid service. Its just not the Gentoo way.
Paying for the migration is a well defined scope of work that the trustees could choose to let if they they determined it was a good thing.

These are my own views. I do not speak for the team.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ezzieyguywuf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySaigon,

Thank you for your response!

I (tried to - I guess our current forum doesn't have a strikethrough feature?) edit my post to fix the slip-up.

Regarding a paid service - can you elaborate more on why you are against it? In what manner is it not "The Gentoo Way?"

Someone mentioned the social contract when I brought the topic up in #gentoo-trustees, however from what I can tell it does not violate the social contract to use a paid service.

Furthermore - while I applaud and encourage the persistent and consistent use of free and open software whenever possible, I also think that this must be balanced carefully with usability, maintainability, and scalability. For example, it might be fun to build my own hot rod from scratch for driving around, or maybe even racing, but if I needed a whole fleet of vehicles for whatever reason, I would pay someone for that.

Same thing with the forum - perhaps it was fun to set up our own in the beginning, especially when we had folks around that could and did maintain it. But at this point, it has stagnated and is (in my opinion) detracting from the overall gentoo experience.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking only for myself:
ezzieyguywuf wrote:
1. how important is it to you that we continue to use phpBB?
Not important, as long as the next iteration is feature equivalent.
ezzieyguywuf wrote:
2. What if we paid for a service such as vbulletin - this would be some short-term headaches in migrating everything over (I guess we're already experiencing these headaches anyway) with the long-term gain that "someone else" will take care of this for us
Is this a one-time payment or a recurring expense? If it is recurring, how would the cost of leasing a vBulletin compare to the current operating costs of the forums?
ezzieyguywuf wrote:
3. How important is it to you that the forum works with javascript disabled?
It is very important to me that the forums be usable from fairly minimal browsers. We somewhat routinely see people who are trying to do early setup apologize for posting from their mobile phone or from a text-mode-only browser, like Lynx. They make posts from those alternative interfaces because they are at a stage where that is the only way they can conveniently post at all. Generally, a forum that works without Javascript is more likely to work on minimal / alternative browsers than one that uses Javascript "but only a little bit" or "but only responsibly." If we switch to a forum that those users will have too great a difficulty using, they may not post at all. Since they are posting to seek our help, if they get locked out, then they will not get any help, and will be forced either to muddle through on their own or abandon Gentoo. Either way, that makes them less likely to become longterm contributors.
ezzieyguywuf wrote:
But at this point, it has stagnated and is (in my opinion) detracting from the overall gentoo experience.
I disagree that it is detracting. On rare occasions, I find myself wishing the forum had a bit of markup that it lacks (most commonly strikethrough). Other than that, I find the forum to be quite acceptable as-is. The forum software does not need to be fancy or frequently updated to be useful. What do you think should be changed/improved to avoid detracting?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezzieyguywuf wrote:
But at this point, it has stagnated and is (in my opinion) detracting from the overall gentoo experience.

You can elaborate a bit more.
What is the problem on current forum?
Its main purpose is to support those who have problems with gentoo and it seems to me that currently it does all that is needed.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have sounded like I wanted the forum upgrade to occur but in reality that's not true, the old phpbb2 works just fine from the user side though I suspect whatever machine it's running on, be it a Gentoo box, I'm sure the dependency tree must be horrors to keep up to date.

My concern is that someone said something will happen and it didn't, and there weren't any signs saying it's not. So there's some unsatisfied anticipation going on with its expected downtime (since it will take time to convert over) along with the mess that will happen during the first couple of days as the bugs get cleaned out...

My wish?

"Forum upgrade will happen on XXXXXXX"

or

"We have ditched our plans..."

That would clear up some anxiety. Honestly it's phpbb's fault for not making the database backward compatible but the custom mods aren't making things any easier.

(I abandoned my phpbb2 forum that I was toying with when they stopped support of it... same problem, too difficult to upgrade, though since it was a toy project I could have just completely switched to phpbb3 and started from scratch with no real loss...)
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I find the forum to be quite acceptable as-is. The forum software does not need to be fancy or frequently updated to be useful.
Exactly. Don't fix what's working.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
ezzieyguywuf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies and for voicing your opinions!

To answer some of the questions: I mentioned that the forums seem to 'detract from the gentoo experience'. This is, of course, purely my own opinion. And as you'll see from my profile I have not made use of the forums hardly at all since I signed up in 2010 - this is why I solicited input from you all :)

But nonetheless, my comment stems from the following - to me, the forums feel dated and clunky - any time I come across gentoo forum results in google searches, I tend to avoid them due these impressions. Rather, I am more likely to click on a gentoo wiki link, or even stackoverflow. My concern is involving new users - what if they have a similar impression, and a similar disinterest in participating due to the "look and feel" of the forums?

That being said, it sure seems like you all are quite happy with the state of the forums as-is, and if that's the case than truly I have nothing more to contribute to the conversation.

Again, thank you for your responses :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than "Here are my suggestions to fix things", I'd rather see "Here are some items I think could be improved, and these might be ways to achieve that."

Personally, I thought vBulletin was awful the first time it was discussed as an alternative (pre 2010?), and I haven't seen a version that seems better than it was then. Obviously whichever options exist is a subjective preference.

For me, I consider the lack of strikethrough to be a feature. It looks awful whenever I see it used, and it doesn't help. Just edited something and mention the correction if it is important. Such as Edited for clarity/typo or Edited to correct from x to y.

If the primary issue is a lack of javascript and / or mobile usage, I'm fine with that as an also supported feature, but js should not be required. Although I'm doubtful how "useful" an interaction could be with a mobile device, given the output needed to interact with most topics seeking help. Unfortunately, I think there is lost value when the important output is hosted externally from the forum itself.

Examples of what to not do would include: Discourse, Reddit, anything that conveys a message such as To use ..., please enable JavaScript, and anything that requires creating an account to read content (the few times I've seen a discord reference, an account was required).

As for improvements, the primary usability improvement I've wanted to see for a very long time is the elimination of dedicated topic forums and the use of keywords instead. That would allows exclusion filters as well. For example, I want GUI related threads, but not Wayland, etc.

As an aside, I've never though much of phpbb, so it isn't as if I'm an advocate for its usage.

Last edited by pjp on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezzieyguywuf,

The social contract sticking point is always
https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html wrote:
We will release our contributions to Gentoo as free software, metadata or documentation, under the GNU General Public License version 2 (or later, at our discretion) or the Creative Commons - Attribution / Share Alike version 2 (or later, at our discretion). Any external contributions to Gentoo (in the form of freely-distributable sources, binaries, metadata or documentation) may be incorporated into Gentoo provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
Is always the bit I have posted in bold. What does "depend upon" mean?
e.g. Gentoo does not depend upon github. There was a lot of debate about using github at all but if it went away, Gentoo would survive.
If you take the view that Gentoo does not "depend upon" the forums than that's OK then.

We have a number of users that do not have real time English. They get by in English but its slow.
That puts help channels like IRC out of their reach.

The update won't fix the user interface. I think phpBB3 is worse but I've not spent much time playing with it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezzieyguywuf wrote:
But nonetheless, my comment stems from the following - to me, the forums feel dated and clunky - any time I come across gentoo forum results in google searches, I tend to avoid them due these impressions. Rather, I am more likely to click on a gentoo wiki link, or even stackoverflow. My concern is involving new users - what if they have a similar impression, and a similar disinterest in participating due to the "look and feel" of the forums?
Is there one "look and feel" that can satisfy everyone? How do you address that problem? Obviously the answer is no, so it becomes a matter of choosing trade-offs. For example, I avoid the Gentoo Wiki because it is visually an awful presentation of the material. I also avoid it because I no longer put trust into the content as authoritative because it seems as though anyone can create or edit the content.

ezzieyguywuf wrote:
That being said, it sure seems like you all are quite happy with the state of the forums as-is, and if that's the case than truly I have nothing more to contribute to the conversation.
I would expect that for whatever reason, people think using such a site on a mobile device would be preferable. I can't fathom how that would be functional beyond short, social media style interactions, but that may just be me.

As I mentioned in my previous post, items that might need solutions are valuable. There might not be much that can be done, but they are always useful. Such as "New users might be put off by the age of phpbb and not being able to use the site on their mobile device."

Ultimately it comes down to those who actually do the work, and I'm not among that group.
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, couldn't resist. But why Gentoo doesn't move to phpBB > 3? Current version is phpBB 3.3....
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckor,

There is a problem with the migration which the Gentoo -infra team is working on.
We have had a test instance running.

-- Edit --

Moved above post from Gentoo forum search sucks which maybe illustrates the problem with the forums search :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
reckor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
reckor,

There is a problem with the migration which the Gentoo -infra team is working on.
We have had a test instance running.

-- Edit --

Moved above post from Gentoo forum search sucks which maybe illustrates the problem with the forums search :)

Agreed :) Thanks for the note
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: