View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glitch666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: KDE Plasma(Wayland) Shutdown and reboot broken Reply with quote

Anyone else having issues with the reboot, sleep, and shutdown buttons in in KDE not working under Wayland? If I click sleep, it locks my screen. If I click reboot nothing happens, have to open up a terminal to reboot. If I logout first it works fine on sddm. X11 sessions do not have this issue, all things work correctly.
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes man, I get some trouble on my laptop sometimes, for many reason, but all is fixable :)
are you emerge sys-power/acpid ? It manage button calls outside DE, you need to add service in your startup like "rc-update add acpid" and reboot.for example this is one thing.
Other mistake I found on plasma local config, but be careful, I advice you to make new user and check shutdown on it, clean user session...

Many other thing maybe need some fine tuning, indeed system-specific, but you need to be more specific when asking something you don't understand :D
glitch666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babiz wrote:
Yes man, I get some trouble on my laptop sometimes, for many reason, but all is fixable :)
are you emerge sys-power/acpid ? It manage button calls outside DE, you need to add service in your startup like "rc-update add acpid" and reboot.for example this is one thing.
Other mistake I found on plasma local config, but be careful, I advice you to make new user and check shutdown on it, clean user session...

Many other thing maybe need some fine tuning, indeed system-specific, but you need to be more specific when asking something you don't understand :D

I appreciate the input. It's not that I dont understand the issue, I've been using Gentoo since I was 17, so circa 2008ish? I went through checking my elogind, dbus, kdes powerdevil, everything I could think of. I even did a fresh install on a spare drive and it will work under Wayland for a little while then just stop out of the blue and not work again.

I will see if I'm missing that package and report back when I get home from work.
glitch666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babiz wrote:

Tried that package and its a no go. That package also shouldn't be required anymore. I believe the issue may have something to do with my combination of openrc and nvidia. I have found bug reports of similar issues involving elogind. Curious if anyone has a fix or workaround.
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glitch666 wrote:
Curious if anyone has a fix or workaround.

Yes me too, actually I'm unknown other hints because I'll on Plasma X11. (It runs very fine)
Same as you, on my Kde Plasma, power management within Wayland is really bad and is not advice by Nvidia drivers readme...
Are you reading /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-535.154.05/README.txt.bz2 ?
It's very useful to full understand some more about power manage, FAQ, know bugs... and you can find useful tweaks for nvidia.ko module...

So in my previous post tell you acpid service because it runs outside DE, I think ACPI calls handler is needed on system without DE, acpid service when is right configured, like power button behavior, will be one workaround for "Wayland PM" instability.

Same as you write, is very pain "lose" PM features after a while, acpid can handle at least "power button function" (poweroff or restart or none) so if on your system don't work then maybe the issue is discoverable in bios setup or (maybe better) your kernel configuration. You also need to check some into /proc/acpi/button for know it.

Currently I'm on a dist-kernel so I not need to deal with much more, and my system is very stable too. (Dell Inspirion 5010 plus, 11th gen Intel+Nvidia RTX 3050).
You can try sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin instead kernel compile?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: