Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
I've not had time to roll my own ebuilds yet (damn uni work :x) and I'm itching to know if
gnome-panel 2.5.1 ChangeLog wrote:
* Get translucent applet backgrounds almost working (Vincent, John Ellis)
actualy means what I think it means.

Could someone please set a background on the panel and take a small screenie with, say, the clock applet?

Cheers :)

Not working :(
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Ian wrote:
One thing that still makes me say Gnome isn't for me...

When trying to use any terminal, gnome-terminal, aterm, whatever, whenever using tab completion and there's more than one thing (like, cd /home/ian/te and hitting tab, and there's "test" and "temp"), the entire screen like, winks at me, as well as if i hit the delete key and there's nothing on the command line. Weirdest thing ever, but it makes CLI almost unusable.

Thats a feature ;) change the /apps/metacity/general/visual_bell gconf key.

Well, I'll be damned, that's a crappy feature to be enabled on default. But, thanks for the tip on how to turn that off (it's a big reason I didn't use Gnome 2.4, in favor of XFce4).

Still, the questions on the GTK+-2.3.0-r1 patches and Nautilus just crashing and not opening remain. Any ideas on those?
Woolmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem with natilus. It won't start and always crashes. I have been trying to figure out what is wrong but so far no luck. Anyone else have any ideas

P.S. And yes I know it is a development release but it is fun to play with.
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up reading the Ars Technica article. I guess the guy had some interesting things to say, but his rationale for spatial interfaces seems to be basically this:
Quote:
Although mentally visualizing abstract relationships and hierarchies is a skill familiar to computer programmers and other people who frequently use systems that require such mental gymnastics (e.g. the command line), it is not a skill that most people possess in any significant quantity.

In other words, this interface is good because it helps grandmothers and others not accustomed to file hierarchies more easily use the machine. I, however, am not in the category, and I *know* I can work more efficiently without the added clutter. Most Linux users would also undoubtedly fit into this category, as the command line is pretty essential to the OS, especially with Gentoo. To make this interface the default because we supposedly can handle the "mental gymnastics" of filesystems shows a shocking lack of audience awareness, if not common sense.

Andrew
julienp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipse (2.1.2 and 3.0M5) stopped working after I installed gtk+2.3 ... :?
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the problems concerning gstreamer and it's plugins go-I decided to tackle the problem differently.

I went ahead and downloaded the gst-plugins-0.7.2 package and manually did the whole compile thing.

To keep it short I will describe the environment:
Quote:

USE="samba snmp ppds usb breakme threads nptl foomaticdb aalib xv -doc cdr scanner pdflib spell fbcon x86 tiff readline java mysql sdl xmms scanner X directfb gtk gnome kde tcpd pam d5d ssl python nls cups xml2 libwww ncurses opengl apm crypt imlib esd xmms xml zlib alsa arts jpeg mpeg encode avi arts jpeg oggvorbis qt mmx sse cups gif png dvd gtk2 ggi truetype motif tiff xml ssl"

I post this to point out what already was inlcuded in previous emerges regarding gstreamer and its plugins

I am using gcc 3.3.1-r1 propolice

I am using kde-cvs

This is my configure line:
Code:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-all --with-arts-prefix=/usr/kde/cvs  --with-arts-exec-prefix=/usr/kde/cvs --with-arts-inc-prefix=/usr/kde/cvs --disable-artstest

my first problems were with arts

it seems like no matter how I configured the "configure" line the proper includes were not getting included. Lastly I switch the the gst-plugins-0.7.2/ext/alsa directory and edited the Makefile: everywhere where
-I/usr/kde/cvs/include/artsc was located I placed -I/usr/kde/cvs/include/arts next to it. This fixed my arts problem....

(I imagine someone could sed this sucker-ie.
Code:

sed -i 's/\-I\/usr\/kde\/cvs\/include\/include\/artsc/\-I\/usr\/kde\/cvs\/include\/include\/artsc/\ \-I\/usr\/kde\/cvs\/include\/include\/arts/g'   /gst-plugins-0.7.2/*

but I haven't tried this- one would do this after the configure step)
Then I need to download and install a cvs snapshot of faac, from faac.sourceforge.net and install it
Code:

./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Then I downloaded faad2 from the same site unpacked it and
Code:

export WANT_ATUOMAKE_1_6=1
chmod +x bootstrap
./boostrap
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Then i needed the latest portage lbsndfile(1.0.5)

Then I needed the latest swf stuff(I emerged all the latest packages)

Then I needed to emerge the latest ladspa stuff
Code:

emerge  media-libs/ladspa-cm media-libs/ladspa-sdk  media-plugins/xmms-ladspa

I think thats all I needed to do to get my plugins working....post back later if more issues crop up
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
As far as the problems concerning gstreamer and it's plugins go-I decided to tackle the problem differently.

The problem(s) we are having right now have more to do with the fact that we are trying to fit 0.7.2 into foser's gst-plugins scheme and are pretty much failing. I'm not sure that his scheme will work without some serious tweakage and that's beyond my free time allotment right now.

If no-one has any objections, I'll look into just using the old single gst-plugins ebuild with appropriate USE flags...
theonly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celloandy wrote:

In other words, this interface is good because it helps grandmothers and others not accustomed to file hierarchies more easily use the machine. I, however, am not in the category, and I *know* I can work more efficiently without the added clutter. Most Linux users would also undoubtedly fit into this category, as the command line is pretty essential to the OS, especially with Gentoo. To make this interface the default because we supposedly can handle the "mental gymnastics" of filesystems shows a shocking lack of audience awareness, if not common sense.

While it's true enough that Gentoo users are more technically inclined, GNOME isn't intended to be the Geek's Super Window Manager, it's intended to be as universally accessible as possible. In fact, that's why I prefer it to KDE (no flames, please) -- while it's fun to play under the hood, the 'it just works' philosophy leaves me with more hair on my head at the end of the day.

So choosing to make the interface more clear to people who have never used a computer or a Linux-based system before makes perfect sense to me.
pens
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtk 2.3.0 broke my gkrellm. it refuses to use any fonts other than its default. if I downgrade to gtk 2.2.4 it works just fine.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried recompiling Nautilus, but to no avail. It still crashes regularly on me, and it's annoying to use Gnome like this because I keep getting popups about Nautilus dying (these have been sent to another virtual desktop, thank god for whoever came up with those :p).

Everything else seems to be running fine though, and it's actually using a lot less memory than I thought it would, but 2.6.0-test11 seems to be much better with memory handling than any other kernel I've tried.
TheMole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:
a couple of shots (on request :))

there's a new "computer" icon on the desktop which shows all drives and such: http://users.pandora.be/tvrg/gnome-2.5/Computer(new).png

The old nautilus can be accessed from the gnome menu (browse filesystem): http://users.pandora.be/tvrg/gnome-2.5/browse-fs.png

nautilus cd burning includes music cd's: http://users.pandora.be/tvrg/gnome-2.5/burn-music.png

So, does the 'Computer' thing work like redhat's magicdev (stuff appears when it gets mounted...), does it scan for mounted/unmounted devices, or is it just a list of what's in your fstab, regardless of mountedness? :)

Also, I think the correct dutch translation for "The Gimp" should be "Het Gimp" and not "De Gimp", (Het GNU Image Manipulatie Programma?) but that's completely besides the question :D (referring to your screenshot)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMole wrote:
dabooty wrote:
a couple of shots (on request :))

there's a new "computer" icon on the desktop which shows all drives and such: http://users.pandora.be/tvrg/gnome-2.5/Computer(new).png

The old nautilus can be accessed from the gnome menu (browse filesystem): http://users.pandora.be/tvrg/gnome-2.5/browse-fs.png

nautilus cd burning includes music cd's: http://users.pandora.be/tvrg/gnome-2.5/burn-music.png

So, does the 'Computer' thing work like redhat's magicdev (stuff appears when it gets mounted...), does it scan for mounted/unmounted devices, or is it just a list of what's in your fstab, regardless of mountedness? :)

Also, I think the correct dutch translation for "The Gimp" should be "Het Gimp" and not "De Gimp", (Het GNU Image Manipulatie Programma?) but that's completely besides the question :D (referring to your screenshot)

Stateless mounting in GNOME requires magicdev, but will probably work with other implementations like supermount and the upcoming HAL work.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Camp has some interesting stuff up his sleeve:

http://primates.ximian.com/~dave/screenshots/Screenshot-EmblemWatermarks2.png
benc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Dave Camp has some interesting stuff up his sleeve:

http://primates.ximian.com/~dave/screenshots/Screenshot-EmblemWatermarks2.png

Nice! Gnome keeps getting better and better...
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, does the 'Computer' thing work like redhat's magicdev (stuff appears when it gets mounted...), does it scan for mounted/unmounted devices, or is it just a list of what's in your fstab, regardless of mountedness?

it lists everything in fstab, the icon for mounted and unmounted devices is diffrerent and you can mount by right-clicking and choosing mount

Quote:
Also, I think the correct dutch translation for "The Gimp" should be "Het Gimp" and not "De Gimp", (Het GNU Image Manipulatie Programma?) but that's completely besides the question (referring to your screenshot)

If you use the acronym (GIMP) it is "De", but if you use the long version it should indeed be "Het". It's probably just that "Het Gimp" sounds terribly wrong when you don't consider that Gimp is an acronym, but see gimp as a program name.
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
licor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey..
i downloaded the ebuilds for gnome-current from bmg and when compiling i get this error..

Code:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -O3 -march=pentium4 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -g -g -g   -o libgstxvideosink.la -rpath /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.7 -module -avoid-version ../../gst-libs/gst/navigation/libgstnavigation.la ../../gst-libs/gst/xoverlay/libgstxoverlay.la libgstxvideosink_la-xvideosink.lo libgstxvideosink_la-gstxwindow.lo libgstxvideosink_la-gstximage.lo libgstxvideosink_la-gstxvimage.lo -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE  -lX11 -lXv -lXext
libtool: link: cannot find the library `../../gst-libs/gst/navigation/libgstnavigation.la'
make: *** [libgstxvideosink.la] Error 1

!!! ERROR: media-plugins/gst-plugins-xvideo-0.7.2 failed.
!!! Function gst-plugins_src_compile, Line 124, Exitcode 2
!!! compile failure

any ideas on what i can do to make libgstnavigation.la be there when it looks for it?

thanks!
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those with gstreamer issues, I've commited an old style monolithic gst-plugins ebuild in both gnome-current and gnome-2.5.0. I've been pulling my hair out trying to make foser's scheme work and have failed miserably, tho I did leave that ebuild in hopes someone else would step up... ;)

Enjoy!
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been pulling my hair out trying to make foser's scheme work

I had been wondering what was up with the gstreamer ebuilds from gentoo's portage tree. It seems to compile a plugin, you download the sources for all the plugins and configure it to only compile a single plugin.
What's holding them from having a single gst-plugins ebuild configuring the plugins and then compiling them? I don't see WHY foser would split this up
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
------
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:

I had been wondering what was up with the gstreamer ebuilds from gentoo's portage tree. It seems to compile a plugin, you download the sources for all the plugins and configure it to only compile a single plugin.
What's holding them from having a single gst-plugins ebuild configuring the plugins and then compiling them? I don't see WHY foser would split this up

It makes more sense from a dependancy perspective to have the various plugins split up to make sure someone has the right plugins for the program being installed. I've seen quite a few bug reports in which people complained about various software not working due to gst-plugins not being compiled with the correct USE flags...
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It makes more sense from a dependancy perspective to have the various plugins split up to make sure someone has the right plugins for the program being installed. I've seen quite a few bug reports in which people complained about various software not working due to gst-plugins not being compiled with the correct USE flags...

I see
btw, I wasn't questioning anybody's decisions, i just noticed that happening before and i wondered why. This seemed like a suitable moment to ask :)
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
------
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:

I see
btw, I wasn't questioning anybody's decisions, i just noticed that happening before and i wondered why. This seemed like a suitable moment to ask :)

Question away... Won't bother me in the least... ;)

Whether things are split or not doesn't really matter to me in the least, but if it's the "official" way of doing things I'd rather have our ebuilds fit to minimize confusion down the road. Course in this case it's caused more problems than it's worth IMHO...
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God damn that borked my system...

I killed my sweet gdm, pango, libgnomeprint, nautilus, gucharmap, gstreamer and some more things...

T'was a pain getting it to work again. Now back to stable *cough* boring *cough* 2.4 Gnome.
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody feel like trying to get expocity working?
I've tried to include the patch in the ebuild but it doesn't apply cleanly, and that's about as far as i can go*

[*] man i got to get into this linux development stuff. I'm a freakin wannabe programmer and i can't get this to work.... Got me a book but didn't get round to read it yet :) i just figured out makefiles and cvs, but there still is a lot left to learn coming from visual whatever tools (vb, VC++, VS.NET).
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
------
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:
anybody feel like trying to get expocity working?

Search the forums. There is a working ebuild (2.4 patch IIRC). It even works to boot ;)

But it strips some useflags, so it felt very sluggish.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime_Fan wrote:
God damn that borked my system...

I killed my sweet gdm, pango, libgnomeprint, nautilus, gucharmap, gstreamer and some more things...

T'was a pain getting it to work again. Now back to stable *cough* boring *cough* 2.4 Gnome.

Are you running xfree-4.3.99.14 by chance? If so, either upgrade to .16 or downgrade to the latest stable.... If not, please post a bit more detail so we can figure out what went wrong.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: