"gentoo-like" Win-keys operation on tty*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: "gentoo-like" Win-keys operation on tty* Reply with quote

Hello world,
as you should have noticed gentoo supports tty changing using win keys (left moves backwards, right does fordward). I like that very much and would like to have it also on my slack boxes. Any idea on how to make this ?
I tried gentoo's /etc/inputrc but didn't find anything.

-= zen =-
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never noticed that before. Pretty sweet! I'm a big fan of the Windows key (because of the additional functionality, not becuase of the logo it bears), and one thing that's always disappointed me about Linux is that it just doesn't make any kinf of use of them whatsoever. Anyone know how to control them? Any useful ideas? I use the built-in Windows shortcuts pretty regularly (<Win-key> +R=run, +E=explorer, +F=find, +<Break>=device manager, etc.), and would love to get the same kind of use out of it in Linux. Thanks.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/init.d/keymaps
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/include/windowkeys.map.gz
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also xmodmap in X (X uses raw scancodes and isn't affected by linux keymappings). I'm also working on a kernel module that will make a /dev device that sits between the keyboard driver and the rest of the system that lets you read, mangle and write raw scancodes... It could be used to apply mappings and functions to the windoze keys, remap the keyboard completely, or even send scancodes over a network so that one keyboard attached to one computer would act as if it were attached to another. Mappings would apply on the console AND in X. I do plan on sharing it when it gets to the point where it is suitable for general use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: