Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Widevine and Netflix doesn't work on anything but Firefox?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanxboxpro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Widevine and Netflix doesn't work on anything but Firefox? Reply with quote

So, I watch a lot of Netflix, and it works fine in Firefox. However, I prefer Falkon or Vivaldi, but Widevine seems to be missing from both browsers. Vivaldi has an option to enable Widevine and I have it checked, but no luck. Is there a package or custom version I can build of either that has Widevine included?
AMD Radeon RX 580
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengenace @ 2933MHz
W.D Blue 500GB M.2 SSD/W.D Blue 2TB Mechanical @ 5400RPM
EVGA 850W Gold Modular
Enermax Ostrog ADV Red
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivaldi is a proprietary browser, so nobody but themselves can fix it.
Falkon will never be allowed to use Widevine, because Google owns Widevine.

Your choices for this type of content consumption are Firefox, Chrome, or ThePirateBay.
ryanxboxpro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to say that I got Vivaldi to play nice with Netflix, but Falkon is still a no-go with methods that worked when I was still using KDE Neon and Manjaro.

I found this GitHub page which describes how to manually configure Vivaldi for Widevine. In short, they provide a script that grabs "libwidevinecdm.so" and installs it into "/opt/google/chrome". From there, you have to symlink the library file like this:

Code:
sudo ln -fs /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libwidevinecdm.so

Note: I do not actually have Chromium merged into my system. I don't know what this will do to a system that has Chromium merged, and I also have no idea what a Chromium update would do. As far as I can tell, the guide says to symlink it here because some apps and browsers look for libraries from other apps, like Chromium.

To be sure it would work, I symlinked it into every directory that seemed reasonable. For non-Debian based distros, the path would be:

Code:
/usr/lib64/chromium/lib/libwidevinecdm.so

But again, I symlinked it to other directories to be certain it could be found anywhere.

The exact steps I did:

1. Download the ZIP of the files from the Github page. Extract them, mark the provided script as executable, and run it as root.

2. Do "sudo ln -fs /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libwidevinecdm.so".

3. Do "sudo ln -fs /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib64/chromium-browser/libwidevinecdm.so"

4. Do "sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib64/chromium/lib/"

5. Do "sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib32/chromium/lib/"

6. Do "sudo ln -fs /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib64/chromium/lib/libwidevinecdm.so"

7. Do "sudo ln -fs /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib32/chromium/lib/libwidevinecdm.so"

8. If you do not set Vivaldi to clear cookies upon exit, clear them and restart Vivaldi before you attempt to watch Netflix. According to the page,
Quote:
If you have failed to play videos once, then Netflix stores information about this in a cookie and you won't be able to play videos, even once your system is now correctly configured.

9. This seems to work. Go enjoy some Netflix! :D
AMD Radeon RX 580
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengenace @ 2933MHz
W.D Blue 500GB M.2 SSD/W.D Blue 2TB Mechanical @ 5400RPM
EVGA 850W Gold Modular
Enermax Ostrog ADV Red
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should still be possible with Qt WebEngine (Falkon) as well. I don't know for sure about Netflix, but I did set it up for something similar, for someone else.

At least in theory, all one should need is 'www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins' and 'dev-qt/qtwebengine[-bindist]', though older version of the plugin(s) (and downloading it outside Gentoo) may be required.

See [SOLVED] No netflix after upgrade to qtwebengine-5.11.1 for more details on how I got on to the working path.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The widevine libs from https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/download-chrome.php?file=lnx%2Fchrome64_66.0.3359.181.deb work with Falkon (I assume other qtwebkit stuff too).
Just because testing this stuff requires loads of browser restarts, I use https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm it's much quicker than messing with Netflix each time.
This is an excerpt from my ebuild that does the symlinking
Code:
                dosym ../chromium/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/$(get_libdir)/chromium-browser/libwidevinecdm.so
                dosym ../chromium/libwidevinecdmadapter.so /usr/$(get_libdir)/chromium-browser/libwidevinecdmadapter.so
There is some disparate documentation about pointing Falkon to other plugin locations, but I found this to be a wild goose chase, and stracing the binary showed it never actually looked in a different location.
As a PoI, I think it's the point in time when the plugin switched from two .so libs to one that Falkon started to falter.
The above is currently working with dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.212 and www-client/falkon-3.1.0
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like with Qt 5.12.3 going "stable", DRM content might once again work just by installing packages, without any manual meddling.

Tested with:

- www-client/falkon-3.1.0-r1
- dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.12.3
- www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-74.0.3729.169

Don't know about 'dev-qt/qtwebkit'.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: