radeon 9600pro Epox 8RDA3+ lockups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: radeon 9600pro Epox 8RDA3+ lockups Reply with quote

Ok, ive read a couple of things about lockups but none of the purposed fixes have helped me. i emerged drm using

VIDEO_CARDS=radeon

with no problem. however, after i configure X with the fglrxconfig and then startx, enlightnement (i know, but nIx rocks!!) starts up then locks. ive also noticed that my mouse (ms 5 button USB) "turns off". any ideas?

i noticed that when it modprobes the radeon driver it comes back as an unknown device. emu10k1 does this too. I install Gentoo from the liveCD using GRP. any guides to help out with this? i can post exact info when i get home. any help would be apperciated.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the xfree-drm package does NOT support newer Radeons like the 9600. The only driver that supports 3D acceleration for your card is the the driver from ATI. Get rid of xfree-drm:
Code:
emerge -C xfree-drm
remove any DRM support from your kernel (look in the Character Devices section, just under the AGP settings. If you have to change anything, recompile the kernel and reboot), emerge the latest ati-drivers:
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge ati-drivers
run fglrxconfig (say no when it asks if you want to use the drivers internal AGP support), then load the modules:
Code:
modprobe agpgart
modprobe nvidia-agp (only for a 2.6 kernel)
modprobe fglrx

You may have to tweak your mouse config manually in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, fglrxconfig won't always get it right. If you search the forums you should find some example configs for that type of mouse.
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. ill try that. also went from 2.4.22 to 2.6.0-test10. everything is good so far. the ati drivers are merging now. ill post the end result when its done
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just starts to a black screen now.

i dont see anything out of the ordinary in /var/log/XFree86.0.log though......... any ideas?
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, everyone make sure to read the n00b under my nick. forgot to set enlightenment to the X manager. but now when i logout of X then restart it, it locks at a black screen after changing to hardware mode. whats going on?
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok fixed the problem. i had the refresh set to high. had to input my monitors settings manually, works like a charm. thanks for the help
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, everything loads fine, i can get into x but DRI diesnt get initd. i cleaned my kernel source dir removed and remerged that ati drivers and when i restart the screen goes black and hangs there. the XFree log shows that dri was inititalized but its locked. if i set UseInternalAGP=yes then it will load but with no dri...... whats going on now?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: