View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just to be sure, do you have a SiI3112A or without the A? I have the A version. Perhaps that is the major problem. I also have to uncomment an error warning in siimage.c otherwise it would flood dmesg. Probably time for a note at lkml...

Something else: Did you try the siimage SATA driver in the SCSI section? Do you know to get it work? I don't know much about it...
AresTheImpaler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about this release.. I'm using test 9 and the problem is that my clock keeps getting behind. Was this a problem with the relases or was it only my computer? also, if it was a bug is it now fixed?

Thanks,

Rigo
b0fh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AresTheImpaler wrote:
I have a question about this release.. I'm using test 9 and the problem is that my clock keeps getting behind. Was this a problem with the relases or was it only my computer? also, if it was a bug is it now fixed?

Hey, I had this problem, too! I thought my cmos-battery was a little weak so I added rdate to start-scripts to sync time every boot :) Don't know if this is fixed, but I will try out...
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...where's 2.6.0-test10-love?? :D :D

Hehe, just teasing, I'm sure bssteph will have something forthcoming whenever it's done...^_^
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kesereti wrote:
...where's 2.6.0-test10-love?? :D :D

Hehe, just teasing, I'm sure bssteph will have something forthcoming whenever it's done...^_^

I second that =) waiting for loveness first
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news about the SilImage3112A SATA controller getting better performance is definitely making me want to try the vanilla sources...but...it seems that once you've gone Love, you never want to go back ^_^
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The news about the SilImage3112A SATA controller getting better performance is definitely making me want to try the vanilla sources...but...it seems that once you've gone Love, you never want to go back ^_^

so true
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepp wrote:
yodermk wrote:
They've fixed the PS/2 mouse problem right? Just thought I'd ask before bothering with the compile.

for me ps/2 mouse still doesn't work. it really strange. neither my alps touchpad nor my external mouse gets any signals though it gets detected.

Doesn't work at all? That must be a different problem. For me, and many others, test9-mm2 had a bug where the PS/2 mouse worked, but was very unresponsive. I was just wondering if someone who experienced that could confirm that it's been fixed.

If no one answers, I'll probably try it today or tomorrow, but if it hasn't been fixed, I'd rather save the trouble and keep my uptime with test8. :)
newbenji
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodermk wrote:
sepp wrote:
yodermk wrote:
They've fixed the PS/2 mouse problem right? Just thought I'd ask before bothering with the compile.

for me ps/2 mouse still doesn't work. it really strange. neither my alps touchpad nor my external mouse gets any signals though it gets detected.

Doesn't work at all? That must be a different problem. For me, and many others, test9-mm2 had a bug where the PS/2 mouse worked, but was very unresponsive. I was just wondering if someone who experienced that could confirm that it's been fixed.

If no one answers, I'll probably try it today or tomorrow, but if it hasn't been fixed, I'd rather save the trouble and keep my uptime with test8. :)

Mine is working perfect in 2.6.0-test9.. but i changed the protocol in XF86CONFIG-4. So now its

Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Hope its a help

/Benji
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbenji wrote:
yodermk wrote:
sepp wrote:
yodermk wrote:

Mine is working perfect in 2.6.0-test9.. but i changed the protocol in XF86CONFIG-4. So now its

Hope its a help

/Benji

my mouse doesn't even work on the console, so it's not an xfree problem!
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Due to known issues with kernel preempting, do you guys think it's really worth it to upgrade from test9 to test10?
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that bit of info. I'll try test10 later today or tomorrow and if the mouse seems broken, will try that XFree change.

Regarding preempting, by Linus' wording I was under the impression that it's not a regression, so it shouldn't be any worse than previous test releases. Just stuff they haven't fully debugged yet. But maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone know if there's a regression?

If so, you can always turn preempting off.
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the matter of fact is that i'm already running the test10 and its great !!

Only had problems with the inbuilt patch for frambuffer..but got it fixed it the hard way !

My spec's are P4 2.4 (533), DDR 512MB (333), Intel 845GEBV2 mobo..
80GB barracuda 7200 HDD...

I have heard lots of this mm sources.. but dont understand the exact differences between the gentoo-dev-sources and mm-sources !!

Perhaps some one cud be kind enough to make me understand which one's better for me and why !!

Thanks,
Bye,
Jassi
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using test8-mm1, but wow, just, amazing...

I have 320 MB of RAM, GKrellm2 says 312 MB (stupid manufacturers using different number schemes...), and I used to have about 100 or so MB free, under normal usage (Firebird, Gaim, BeepMP, Gkrellm2, XFce4).

With test10 vanilla though, I have 178 MB free, swap isn't even touched. This is quite an impressive increase in memory usage, unless I just forgot to start some huge program that I normally have running in the background :p.

I've noticed that the system seems slightly more responsive, boots a bit faster, and just seems to be a bit happier, but that's probably due more to my perception than anything else.

No mouse issues, I'm using a PS/2 mouse.

Haven't tried USB or anything CPU or I/O intensive yet, but at this rate, it's all looking good.
gralves
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0fh wrote:
AresTheImpaler wrote:

Hey, I had this problem, too! I thought my cmos-battery was a little weak so I added rdate to start-scripts to sync time every boot :) Don't know if this is fixed, but I will try out...

I used to have this problem around test6... I think I solved it using the rtc clock emulation or advanced rtc clock...

by the way I'm compiling test10 now...
watashiwaotaku7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using a synaptics touchpad this is the first time i tried it since probly about test2 and it now works well as opposed to before

has anyone else gotten software suspend to work im using

echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep (or something like that) and it shuts down just fine but using "linux resume=/dev/hdc6" at the lilo prompt doesnt work for me is this user error or is this still not working completely?
SaFrOuT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a small question plz,

what is the difference between the normal kerle and the vanilla and the love ones

is the difference only in more drivers for more hardware or the diff is in performance or what?
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what happened to the i2c-isa module? My sensors don't work any more. :(
glennj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: 2.6 kernels hang during boot Reply with quote

It is really frustrating to read all of these glowing reports about the 2.6 kernels when I can not get one to boot up on my system. I have tried configuring it myself and then thinking I must be doing something wrong, I copied the config from the 2.6 live CD and rebuilt.

Without fail, the 2.6 kernels fail while starting up processes in /etc/init.d. Here is what is started up (in order):
    metalog cupsd eth0 portmap fam named netmount nscd ntp-client ntpd postfix samba spamd upsd upsmon vcron xfs gdm
It will usually hang while launching postfix but sometimes it will get past postfix and hang while launching samba.

Is anyone besides me seeing this? Does anyone have an idea about what the problem might be?

Thanks.
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting together Frood1, not that it's so famous but here's what I've patched it with already,

2.6.0-test10-libata1.patch

x86_64-handle_signal().patch

supermount-2.0.2a-2.6.0-test8.patch

bootsplash-3.1.3-2.6.0-test9.patch

scsi_scan_cleanups.patch

r8169-8110S-11122003.patch

prism54_wlan_2003-11232003.patch

bcm5700_broadcom_gigabit_drvr.patch

NVIDIA_forcedeth_v18.patch

2.6.0-test9-amd64-acpi-compilefix.patch

many of the gentoo-dev-sources patches have been added, and more to come!
Felgerkarb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepp wrote:
newbenji wrote:
yodermk wrote:
sepp wrote:
yodermk wrote:

Hope its a help

/Benji

my mouse doesn't even work on the console, so it's not an xfree problem!

My mouse doesn't work on console, without
Code:
 gpm -m /dev/mouse -t ps2

You probably have already tried that, though. I had to do it manually each time, and was going to add it to my startup scripts, but with the XFree86 config set up as described above, it works fine in my WM, and I find I don't really need the mouse in console, routinely.

-F
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody using ELPP (Enhanced Linux Progress Patch)? I tried patching test9 with ELPP and supermount-ng, but it wouldn't boot. So, I gave up.

It *would* be nice to have that progress bar with about 5 lines of fading verbose output underneath.... ah well. Bootsplash is nice too.
Beekster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uptime: 15:41:43 up 14:41, 1 user, load average: 921.69, 596.17, 269.52
Gentoo Linux - Kernel 2.6.0-test9-bk27

Just tried that stress test - wow. 8O The system stuttered quite a bit while making the processes (forking?)... and then got smooth. Scary shit for the proprietary software companies out there.

My timing sucks - test9-bk27 became test10. I ran test7-bk5 for 35 days, and test9-bk24 for a few days and found it to be a very noticeable improvement. Test10 is about the same as 9-bk24 was in feel. Very happy.
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
Hmm... Due to known issues with kernel preempting, do you guys think it's really worth it to upgrade from test9 to test10?

Yes! My 2.6.0-test10 system (not preemptible ) feels much more stable and responsive in X.

I don't know what they must've fixed, but it must've been a bottleneck somewhere. Opera is much faster at going back in history, etc.

It could also be that there was a newer nvidia driver in the kernel, but...
hutu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try.
boot up with no error.
but elpp only copes with redhat's init script, on gentoo, it can't show the real init process steps. I hope somebody could modify a gentoo version of the elpp.

Phantom wrote:
Is anybody using ELPP (Enhanced Linux Progress Patch)? I tried patching test9 with ELPP and supermount-ng, but it wouldn't boot. So, I gave up.

It *would* be nice to have that progress bar with about 5 lines of fading verbose output underneath.... ah well. Bootsplash is nice too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: