I screwed myself with prune :-(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: I screwed myself with prune :-( Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just ran emerge -P because I had a lot of old versions of stuff installed - after running plenty of upgrades on the system.

The prune stopped at mozilla with this message:

//usr/lib/mozilla/regxpcom: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
chmod: failed to get attributes of `//usr/lib/mozilla/component.reg': No such file or directory
!!! pkg_postrm() script failed; exiting.

and now my system is kinda crapped. Mozilla and Man and epm won't start and I dare not shut it down.

my emerge -u world - stopped right after this with:
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtkmm-1.2.9-r2/work/gtkmm-1.2.9/src/build_sources'
../gtkmmproc/gtkmmproc --m4 ./../gtkmmproc accelgroup ./../ ../../src/gtk--/
../gtkmmproc/gtkmmproc: relocation error: ../gtkmmproc/gtkmmproc: symbol _ZNSs7replaceEN9__gnu_cxx17__normal_iteratorIPcSsEES2_PKcS4_, version GLIBCPP_3.1 not defined in file libstdc++.so.4 with link time reference
make[3]: *** [../../src/gtk--/accelgroup.h] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtkmm-1.2.9-r2/work/gtkmm-1.2.9/src/build_sources'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtkmm-1.2.9-r2/work/gtkmm-1.2.9/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtkmm-1.2.9-r2/work/gtkmm-1.2.9'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I'm guessing it's related to my prune business.

It seems I'm missing a file called libstdc++.so.4, which I'm told by google is in libstdc++-3.1
but I can't seem to find that package if I do an "emerge seach std" f.ex.

I hope you can help me, by giving me the output of epm -ql /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.4 or just by telling me what package I would have to emerge to fix it :-)

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've only got libstdc++.so.3, so I'm a little bit out of date (you using GCC3, perhaps?), and "epm" tells me that that file isn't actually installed (? - I've never used epm, actually), but "qpkg" says that it came from sys-devel/gcc.

So you might want to try that.

Also, the Portage Manual basically says, "never ever, ever, ever do a prune," so you might want to stay away from that in the future. :)

Edit: Ah, right. "epm -qf" works, but "epm -ql" doesn't, as you might expect:
Code:
root@arrakis:~# epm -qf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3
gcc-3.0.4-r6

Also, it seems that I do have gcc3 installed, too. I had emerged it to try and get Openoffice to compile some time ago, but I'm still using gcc2 for everything and just forgot about it. I wonder where that .4 came from? Doesn't make much sense now that I think about it.
Klavs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0n wrote:

Also, the Portage Manual basically says, "never ever, ever, ever do a prune," so you might want to stay away from that in the future. :)

I'm afraid too, cause I would end up with severeal versions of gcc, libsigc++ and so on and so forth - and I want to be sure, my programs are compiled against the newest version - and I'm not sure if that happens when the old version is installed too. Of course I realize that I might loose libraries that only one of them delivers - but I think emerge should tell me, that if I unmerge this program-x.x.x the file *** will be removed - as it is not in the newer version - then I could check with ldd if any of my programs needed it :-)

Just like windows does when you uninstall something (it asks if you really want to remove this file, that reportedly is not in use - when you uninstall).

n0n wrote:

Edit: Ah, right. "epm -qf" works, but "epm -ql" doesn't, as you might expect:
Code:
root@arrakis:~# epm -qf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3
gcc-3.0.4-r6

Also, it seems that I do have gcc3 installed, too. I had emerged it to try and get Openoffice to compile some time ago, but I'm still using gcc2 for everything and just forgot about it. I wonder where that .4 came from? Doesn't make much sense now that I think about it.

did I write -ql - uups :-) - it's just like rpm so of course -qf :-)

for those of us, who know rpm, epm is really really cool.

I have gcc-3.1.1 (started with 3.1 - never had older version of gcc :-)
that's probably why.

I installed libsigc++ (the newest version) and that solved the problem - it didn't restore the file in /usr/lib - but made some changes, so now the same file provided by gcc-3.1.1 (I was running a gcc upgrade from 3.1 to 3.1.1) in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.1.1/libstdc++.so.4 apperarently made it work.

don't ask me, cause I don't know why. Perhaps I just needed to run the gentoo equivalent of ldconfig (which I don't know what is - nice that emerge usually always runs it :-)

Klavs Klavsen
Denmark

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

You screwed yourself with prune? Was it good??? ;)

I'm pretty sure the gentoo equiv of ldconfig is env-update. One of those funky little *-update scripts which do cool stuff in your box :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: