Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Network Card Question(newbie question ;)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braveo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Network Card Question(newbie question ;) Reply with quote

First off, hello everyone :)

I've been using Mandrake Linux for the past few months, and I've decided that I want to check out Gentoo since I've been hearing a lot of things about it. However, I still have a lot to learn so please, no flames.

I'l start with the obligatory compuer specs ;)
Everything is EIDE

My Computer Spec's

• Processor - 1ghz AMD Duron
  • Ram - 192 mb pc100
  • HD - 20GB Western Digital
  • CD ROM - 48X(Forget the manufacturer)
  • CD Burner - Phillips Magnavox 12X CD-RW 1200 series
  • Sound - SB Live Value!
  • NIC - Kingston KNE111TX

Some silly questions of mine

1. How do I know which NIC module to use for my NIC?
  2. How do I know if my NIC is PCMCIA?
  3. I'm using ADSL with Southwestern Bell for my ISP, do they use DHCP and is there anything special I need to do to get connected?
  4. What's the best way to Partiition my HD for a Desktop?

I'm installing from the 16 meg iso(stage 1), and I have no idea which module I should be loading. Does anyone know how I'm supposed to find out?

I'll keep looking, but in the meantime, I would *really* appreciate some help, thanx.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Network Card Question(newbie question ;) Reply with quote

Braveo wrote:

1. How do I know which NIC module to use for my NIC?
  2. How do I know if my NIC is PCMCIA?
  3. I'm using ADSL with Southwestern Bell for my ISP, do they use DHCP and is there anything special I need to do to get connected?
  4. What's the best way to Partiition my HD for a Desktop?

Not sure of the driver, but a quick google search seems to indicate it's a tulip-based card. Try 'modprobe tulip' and see if it loads.

If the NIC fits in a slot in a laptop, it's PCMCIA. Otherwise, it's almost definitely not. If you have a desktop system, then you really shouldn't need to worry about PCMCIA.

aDSL can be different for each vendor. I use Bellsouth, and I need to connect via PPPoE, but that's not always the case. Here's some general links from another quick google search that should have everything you need:
http://sdboyd.dyndns.org/~sdboyd/DSL/connect1.html
http://www.adsl4linux.de/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/

Will this be your only OS? If so, I'd say make it easy and just create a 20 MB /boot partition at the front of the disk, followed by a swap partition roughly equal to 2x your RAM, followed by a / partition that fills the remainder of the disk. You may also want to add a separate /home partition for backup purposes - your call. I'd also recommend going with ext3 for everything. Seems to play the nicest with everything else, and you can always convert back to ext2 if necessary with no data loss.

Good luck!
Braveo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the quick reply :)

nitro322 wrote:

Not sure of the driver, but a quick google search seems to indicate it's a tulip-based card. Try 'modprobe tulip' and see if it loads.

I remember there being a tulip module in the list so I'll try those.

nitro322 wrote:

If the NIC fits in a slot in a laptop, it's PCMCIA. Otherwise, it's almost definitely not. If you have a desktop system, then you really shouldn't need to worry about PCMCIA.

I see. I know what PCMCIA is, but I didn't know much else. That helps me out a lot.

nitro322 wrote:

aDSL can be different for each vendor. I use Bellsouth, and I need to connect via PPPoE, but that's not always the case. Here's some general links from another quick google search that should have everything you need:

SWB uses PPPoE also, but I'm just wondering about connecting before I get everything installed. After I start getting everything installed it'll work just fine(I'm currently running mandrake). It's just that I have to connect to get all of the sources, etc. for the kernel, and I'm not so sure about logging in, etc. before that. I guess I'll find out ;)

nitro322 wrote:

Will this be your only OS? If so, I'd say make it easy and just create a 20 MB /boot partition at the front of the disk, followed by a swap partition roughly equal to 2x your RAM, followed by a / partition that fills the remainder of the disk. You may also want to add a separate /home partition for backup purposes - your call. I'd also recommend going with ext3 for everything. Seems to play the nicest with everything else, and you can always convert back to ext2 if necessary with no data loss.

I plan on running Linux as my only OS.

I've been using ReiserFS for the last few months, and I'm pretty happy with it. I've compared ReiserFS and ext3, and I noticed a big performance difference. Is there a reason why you recommend ext3 over ReiserFS?

Also, if I create a separate partition for my /home directory, that will enable me to recreate my Linux system without losing any of my information correct? In case something goes batty and I have to re-install.

I'm new and I plan on playing around quite a bit, that's why I'm asking.

How large do you recommend I make my /home partition? I really have no experience in how the filesystems grow under linux.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the fact that you went out of your way and used google to find stuff for me, and didn't flame me.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braveo wrote:
I've been using ReiserFS for the last few months, and I'm pretty happy with it. I've compared ReiserFS and ext3, and I noticed a big performance difference. Is there a reason why you recommend ext3 over ReiserFS?

Also, if I create a separate partition for my /home directory, that will enable me to recreate my Linux system without losing any of my information correct? In case something goes batty and I have to re-install.

I'm new and I plan on playing around quite a bit, that's why I'm asking.

How large do you recommend I make my /home partition? I really have no experience in how the filesystems grow under linux.

If you've already been using ReiserFS and you're happy with it, then just stick with it. I think there's a special option you need to mount /boot with if it's ReiserFS, so be sure to check the docs for that.

As for your /home partition, it won't exactly prevent you from losing any information, but it'll usually keep your user data safe. This of course includes all of your app config data, as well as most of your downloads, documents, etc. (after all, by default you can only write to your ~ directory). I also usually create a /home/backup directory and occasionally backup import config files from /etc, important bug fixes, etc., to there, just in case. If you expect you'll be downloading a whole lot of stuff and want a lot of room on here, then bigger is better. Otherwise, if you don't really download a whole lot and only have to worry about documents and .*rc files, then there's use a smaller size. And, of course, if you have no idea how much space you'll be using, don't create a separate one at all - that'll give you the most flexibility :).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: