Steam on Wine - complete howto (?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Steam on Wine - complete howto (?) Reply with quote

I wrote a howto by combining the different sources available into one package, and adding my own words of wisdom here and there. I don't take credit for the information I provide, just for assembling it. I just thought it might be nice to have all info in one place, so as not to confuse noobs. Let me know what you think.

My howto can be found here
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice how-to! I was following it right now, till I got to the part where I have to install hl... but I just get a message saying that setup couldn't find a hard disk location to store temporary files. It says I need to free up at least 3mb to run the setup application. wtf? I have 15gb free on my HD... I just re-checked the wine config file and all the directories are ok. I even replaced my config file with yours but I still get the same thing. Can't I just copy over the files from a windows installation?
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uranus wrote:
nice how-to! I was following it right now, till I got to the part where I have to install hl... but I just get a message saying that setup couldn't find a hard disk location to store temporary files. It says I need to free up at least 3mb to run the setup application. wtf? I have 15gb free on my HD... I just re-checked the wine config file and all the directories are ok. I even replaced my config file with yours but I still get the same thing. Can't I just copy over the files from a windows installation?

Hmm, of course you can always try. Basically, what is needed are the installed HL files and possibly some mention in the registry.

Your Wine problem seems strange - I've never in all my time using Wine seen that. Maybe it's just a problem with the current CVS?

Also, I was unable to start a game of anything Steam related yesterday. Steam transferred a truckload of data from and to various locations.. Must've been an update or something, but now all games either report "This game is unavailable at the moment" or start, but crash at "Validating resources". Strange.

Could be just some random Steam glitch, or maybe they're blocking out Linux users? Or maybe they've added some encryption stuff that isn't implemented in Wine yet? My brother's XP comp worked fine, as did all the XP comps of my friends - they didn't have any problems with Steam.. And I didn't have problems the day before yesterday. Or the day before that. Or the day before that. Or the...
Anyway, I'll try pulling a fresh CVS today, if just running Steam doesn't work.

Strange thing is even the single player games crashed. At "validating resources".
blue.sca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patson, you seem to have some experience with this matter, so could you please crossread this Thread, at the end there are several small problems, perhaps you have a good solution. anyways, good works, thx mate.
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue.sca wrote:
patson, you seem to have some experience with this matter, so could you please crossread this Thread, at the end there are several small problems, perhaps you have a good solution. anyways, good works, thx mate.

Like I said in another thread, all Steam games now lock up on "Verifying Resources". The most probable reason is Valve introduced some new cryptography or filechecking algorithm that Wine doesn't support yet. Conspiracy theory is that MS got whiff of us running Steam with Wine and, fearing loss of customers, paid Valve to cripple Steam's Wine compatibility (which, for that matter, wasn't much to speak of anyway).

I'll try fixing this stuff later on, when my head's cleared and I've got my third-last maths tests out of the way...

edit: As for the mixer settings thing, I'm stumped :)
This happens with several other games/apps on DirectSound initialization.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: