Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Enabling Freetype bytecode interpreter stomping on patent?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjramsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Enabling Freetype bytecode interpreter stomping on patent? Reply with quote

From http://freetype.sourceforge.net/patents.html:

Quote:
Is FreeType 2 affected by the patents ?

The answer is no for any recent build of FreeType 2, since it comes with a "auto-hinting" module that was specifically designed to completely ignore the TrueType bytecodes.

However, the source code for the bytecode interpreter is still available and can be toggled on at compile time, for those that want to use it anyway (because they purchased a license from Apple, or because they're in a country where the patents do not apply, etc..)

What I put in italics is key. What the Freetype developers seem to be saying is that enabling the bytecode interpreter does infringe on Apple's patents, if one is somewhere where the patents do apply and is not paying for an Apple license.

This seems pretty clear-cut to me. The Gentoo Linux developers, at least the ones who are bound by U. S. laws, are in a precarious legal position if they continue to leave the bytecode interpreter enabled.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Desktop Environments, as it has to do with X.
Techie2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they'll be moving this operation to Switzerland? Swiss bank account? I also hear the watches and chocolates are good too...
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all need to stop allowing the lawyers to run our lives and start making more sane choices. In a small way that's what's going on here, and I think this kind of thing is a real indication of just how irrelevant patent law is to open source software.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Enabling Freetype bytecode interpreter stomping on paten Reply with quote

jjramsey wrote:

This seems pretty clear-cut to me. The Gentoo Linux developers, at least the ones who are bound by U. S. laws, are in a precarious legal position if they continue to leave the bytecode interpreter enabled.

No, I am no lawyer but AFAIK Gentoo does not distribute any patented bytecode interpreter at all. All that they do is distributing instructions how you can compile this interpreter. If there are any patent infringements they are on YOUR side. Gentoo does infringe patents not more than the Freetype developers who distribute the source code.

Cheers,
Andreas
jjramsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Enabling Freetype bytecode interpreter stomping on paten Reply with quote

asimon wrote:

No, I am no lawyer but AFAIK Gentoo does not distribute any patented bytecode interpreter at all. All that they do is distributing instructions how you can compile this interpreter.

Um, then how come the ebuild files for Freetype and XFree86 contain these lines?

From freetype-2.0.9.ebuild:

Code:

# Enable hinting for truetype fonts
        cd ${S}/include/freetype/config
        cp ftoption.h ftoption.h.orig
        sed -e 's:#undef TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER:#define TT_CONFIG
_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER:' \
                ftoption.h.orig > ftoption.h

From xfree-4.2.0-r12.ebuild:

Code:

# Enable hinting for truetype fonts
        cd ${S}/extras/freetype2/include/freetype/config
        cp ftoption.h ftoption.h.orig
        sed -e 's:#undef TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER:#define TT_CONFIG
_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER:' \
               ftoption.h.orig > ftoption.h

Those lines above turn the Freetype bytecode interpreter on, and if a Gentoo user emerges Freetype and XFree86, the bytecode interpreter will be built by default. If I hadn't been searching the Gentoo forums trying to find info on how to get Mozilla and X to handle TrueType fonts sanely, I would have never stumbled on those above bits of code. Any Gentoo user in the U.S. who emerges XFree86 ebuilds 4.2.0-r11 or 4.2.0-r12 becomes an unwitting infringer of the Apple's patent. While I highly doubt that Apple would come after individual Gentoo users, the developers of Gentoo collectively are a big enough target to see.

I'd suggest commenting out the offending lines in the ebuild files, with comments above those lines saying that uncommenting them will compile in the bytecode interpreter, do this at own risk, etc. That would put the Gentoo user in about the same position as anybody compiling the FreeType library.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as asimov said, it will be build by default. now gentoo does not distribute packages at all, so .. theortical they are save. however, the unlucky individuals who live in countrys with software patetents break the law by compiling the hinter enabled freetype ... but the chance that apple will go after those individuals are not that big i hope ...

anyway. remeber to fight against software patents. If you live in europe, sing the petition agains software patents: http://petition.eurolinux.org/
jjramsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Enabling Freetype bytecode interpreter stomping on pate Reply with quote

mglauche wrote:
as asimov said, it will be build by default. now gentoo does not distribute packages at all

That's not so true anymore: http://www.gentoo.org/index-packages.html

And freetype is one of the packages.

Quote:

anyway. remeber to fight against software patents. If you live in europe, sing the petition agains software patents: http://petition.eurolinux.org/

Unfortunately, I live in the U.S., the land of the free and the home of the lawyers. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: