Dual booting troubles - fixed!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Dual booting troubles - fixed! Reply with quote

Ok, couldn't think of a good topic for this, bear with me.

I run a dual boot system, my other OS is XP. Before I migrated to gentoo I did an install on my laptop and had no problems getting back into XP from grub. So on to the main system. The ONLY thing I did different here is that I mounted the windows partition because that's where I backed up my previous home directory.

Now, when I try to go into XP it shows the slash screen, then the blue screen that would be scandisk, except it says 'autochk not found skipping AUTOCHECK' and then comes the BSOD, system terminated. I've looked and autochk.exe is right where it is supposed to be.

Before I get yelled at let me say that I'm not asking for help with a MS os here, I just want to know if it is in anyway possible that I could have screwed up the file system having it mounted in gentoo. Would not manualy unmounting it before reboot cause a problem? Is there an easy way to verify the fat32 partition is ok in linux? I always automounted the windows partition w/ freebsd and never had a problem, it has to be something I did in the last day or so.

This is so frustrating... I long for the day when windows is nowhere near my machine....

Last edited by Instinct on Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual booting troubles Reply with quote

Instinct wrote:
Before I get yelled at let me say that I'm not asking for help with a MS os here, I just want to know if it is in anyway possible that I could have screwed up the file system having it mounted in gentoo.
Doubtful. Did you mount it as read only?

Quote:
Would not manualy unmounting it before reboot cause a problem?
The only likely problem would be if you were trying to write to it while you rebooted. Chances are, no. I'm no mount guru though.

Can you boot to Gentoo OK?

Quote:
This is so frustrating... I long for the day when windows is nowhere near my machine....
That may be sooner than you think ;). Seriously, hopefully you didn't lose anything. If you can boot to Gentoo, does the mount work for the Windows drive (can you read stuff from it)?
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus:
I always mount the partition as read/write. Gentoo works just wonderfully. :) I seem to be able to read/write the windows partition without troubles while in gentoo.

I'm at a complete loss. It's as if XP just got pissed for no reason. Think I'm going dig up my old 98 boot disk and try a scandisk on the XP partition. If that doesn't do it I guess I'll try a reinstall. At least when linux breaks it gives you an idea of what's wrong. heh

The only thing that really made me ask about gentoo and mounting was that is does the 'remounting remaining file systems as readonly' before reboot, but I don't see how windows wouldn't just mount it up normaly on boot.

Me thinks my computer just gets lonely and creates random problems for me to work on.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Windows on the first or second drive? Also, Windows prefers to be on the first partition.
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, meant to add this in the last reply.

Only one HD, windows is the first partition (/dev/hda1) Same exact config as on the laptop. I almost want to mount the windows partition on the laptop and try and recreate the problem, but that's probably not the smartest thing to do.

Going to go finish up some work outside, thanks for your help. The annoying part is just not knowing what went wrong.
Miles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the XP partition NTFS or FAT32? If it's FAT32 then there shouldn't be a problem but I think NTFS writing support is still experiement and could be the source of your problem. But I don't have much experience in this area so I could be wrong.
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what happened. A little explanation just incase someone in the future has the problem.

After booting with a 98boot disk and having it tell me my C drive didn't exist(!) I looked in fdisk to verify it. It said it was hidden. I noticed this before but since I never took any action to hide it I figured that was just normal. Did a little searching on unhiding partitions and founds all sorts of interesting stuff. In the end, I had to change my menu.lst file from the example in the setup docs to this:
Code:

title MS Windows XP
unhide (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

Changes where adding the unhide statement, changing 'root' to 'rootnoverify' and adding 'makeactive'.

XP booted right up! I don't know when it got hidden... it's as mysterious as my boot partition being ext2, and my root partition being xfs, considering I followed the instructions for making them both ext3! Always something to learn... :) Thanks to all who chimed in with their suggestions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: