never used unix/linux before......need help/suggestions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: never used unix/linux before......need help/suggestions Reply with quote

ok i hate 2 bother you with mundane questions but i'm completely new 2 unix/linux. I've always used microsoft (not by choice). So far i've managed to get gentoo installed and dual booted with winblows 2k. I got x windows up and configured. I couldn't find much about installing gnome so i just typed #emerge gnome. It's working and I have Galeon installed and it's working(#emerge galeon), however I'm sure there are a lot of steps I missed to get full functionality. Can somebody provide a link or explanation to what I need to do next. Also, I'm having problem's with sound. I have on board sound and think this might be part of the problem. I do have a SB 16 with AWE upgrade card in another old machine that I could install if neccessary. I know I'm a moron when it comes to linux, but I think I've managed quite well for getting this far and this being first post. So far I'm very impressed with linux and looking forward to phazing out Winblows all together. The only reason i'm still using is for 3d prog's I use (Softimage XSI and Maya both new versions both for winblows :( ) I would really appreciate any comments/ suggestions..... :D
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is a great way to learn linux ;) As far as your sound issue there may be several ways to approach this. We need to know..

*What chipset does the onboard soundcard have?
*What "problem" exactly? No sound at all? .. or poor sound?
*What steps have you taken already to resolve the problem (if any: like have you instaled any drivers, software or edited any config files)
*What options did you use in the audio section when configuring your kernel?
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can emulate windows to run those 3d programs...not saying it will run like on windows though
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: chipset Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, as far as the chipset goes, under device man in win it's listed as Avance AC97 Audio......I set up alsa as per the documentation on the desktop configuration page for kde........edited the config files, everything except /etc/modules.d/alsa where it says add
Code:
alias  snd-card-0  snd-emu10k1
can't replace snd-emu10k1 with snd card if don't know how it's listed.....as far as the kernel I didn't see Avance in there so I enabled all the SB stuff including SB compatible........guess i'll just put the sb16 in and be done with it......where do i look to find how it's listed so i know how to edit the config. :roll:
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: themes??? Reply with quote

Me again :lol: I downloaded some themes and can't seem to figure out how to apply them......I know this sounds stupid but go easy I'm learning :oops:
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: forget the themes Reply with quote

I got the themes thing figured out WindowMaker does things slightly different :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Presidente_Pufferfish wrote:
you can emulate windows to run those 3d programs...not saying it will run like on windows though

I doubt wine or even winex can run softimage or maya. VMware definitely can't. You can get a native Linux version of Maya however. (For $2000+)...
Locke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: chipset Reply with quote

[quote="shadowknight"]Thanks for the info, as far as the chipset goes, under device man in win it's listed as Avance AC97 Audio/quote]

As root, emerge isapnptools if you haven't already, then run "lspci | grep Audio" and let us know what it says. I use an AC '97 controller as well, and the chipset is an Intel i820.
Here's mine:
Code:
# lspci | grep Audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82820 820 (Camino 2) Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 05)

And my /etc/modules.autoload (as far as sound goes) is thus:
Code:
snd-intel8x0
snd-ac97-codec
snd-pcm-oss

As far as 3d goes, I'm something of a n00b at it but I've found blender to be quite powerful :)
torque2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, all AC97 means is that the onboard soundchip conforms to a standard set by audio companies and mobo manufacturers to allow the CPU to pretend to be DSPs for audio codecs, re: cheaper to produce than a full-blown sound card.

This sounds like a less-than-spectacular audio solution (pardon the bad pun), but the Avance chipset is a good-quality 6-channel system being used on many higher-end boards to allow users to use on-board audio for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound output, many times with SPDIF optical outputs (my new MSI KT3 Ultra has this "option", and I built a system last week with an nVidia nForce 220D chipset-based ASUS board which included all the hookups). I haven't used the SPDIF outputs, but a 5.1 Logitech speaker set plugged into an nVidia nForce board sounded spectacular, and the board was only $80, and included a RealTek 10/100 NIC and GeForce2MX-class video onboard!

According to a README on www.opensound.com :

Quote:

There are some commonly used codec chips (listed below) which are
supported by OSS. However these chips are never used alone. Instead
they are always used together with some kind of controller chip. Because
OSS needs to support this controller chip too it's necessary to know the ID
of this chip too before we can tell if your soundcard works with OSS or not.

The easiest way to find out if OSS works with your card is using the autodetect
feature of OSS (will be invoked automatically when you install the free
evaluation version of OSS). OSS will autodetect practically all supported
chips.

AC97 codecs
-----------

The AC97 standard is based on two kind of chips. The 'AC97 codec'
is the chip that performs the analog to digital (AD) and digital to analog (DA)
conversions and works as the mixer. OSS supports _ALL_ AC97 codecs (because
practically they are all the same).

However all the 'AC97 controller' chips are different and OSS needs to have
a dedicated low level driver for each of them.

Examples of the AC97 codec chips (many others are available too):
- Analog Devices AD1881
- AKM AK4540
- Sigmatel STAC9700, STAC9701, STAC9721, STAC9704, STAC9708, etc.
- Crystal/Cirrus CS4297
- TR28023

Examples of AC97 controllers currently supported by OSS
- Aureal Vortex (AU8820) and Vortex2 (AU8830)
- ESS Maestro-1 and Maestro-2
- Crystal CS4280
- Trident 4D Wave
- Creative/Ensoniq ES1371/ES1373 (AudioPCI, SB PCI16, PCI64, PCI128)
- Creative SB Live!
- Yamaha YMF724/YMF734/YMF740/YMF744
- Avance Logic ALS300
- Neomagic NM2200
- Intel 810 motherboard chipset
- VIA VT82C686A "south bridge" (motherboard chipset)
- Others to be added in future

And in another section of their site:

Quote:

IN PARTICULAR ALL AC97 SOUND DEVICES ARE SUPPORTED BY OSS EVEN THEY ARE NOT
LISTED HERE. ALSO ALL MOTHERBOARD CHIPSETS ARE SUPPORTED OR AT LEAST WILL BE
SUPPORTED WITHIN FEW WEEKS FROM THEIR ANNOUNCEMENT.

So with the setup used in Gentoo presently, it sounds ( :roll: ) like the newer Avance chipset should be automatically picked up. Sorry if this doesn't really help you, but I hope it helps someone more familiar with Gentoo to help you out... I'm a n00b just like you! But I'm a hardware geek, so thought I'd through in my 2 pennies... :lol:
voidzero
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so in other words, I don't need alsa for the kt3-ultra? Alsa is really cheap sound over here (lots of clicks and pops?)

Mark
amasidlover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Blender Reply with quote

I'm not a 3d expert, but Blender has always been raved about as a 3d tool for Linux, I believe it is a professional product. There was a problem some time ago with the company that released it, but it looks like the source has now been/is about to be bought by an open source foundation, for release as an open source project. Due out beginning of October,

Try: Blender3d
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: