Stupidly good compile times
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Stupidly good compile times Reply with quote

*note, random ramblings*

i cant believe this. i expected a speed increase but now this. last nite i decided time was right to get gentoo on my new pc *athlon xp 3000+* so off i went starting from bootstrap. i though id leave it over night because it takes so long, started it, off i went. came back 3hrs later and it was done...okky ill start stage2, in the morning.
started it off, went and got ready for work etc came back an hour later, it was done.

i hope to god its compiled right should it be this fast? last time i did an install *1ghz celery laptop* it took 2days to get that far. if so i cant wait to get the rest the system done compiling is going to take no time at all :D
fp2099
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootstrap usually just takes 2hours on my system a 1200Mhz Athlon... Your system doesn't seem to be that fast... you you told me that you had a full desktop ready in 3hours i would be impressed... (and that usually take 2 days )
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fp2099 wrote:
bootstrap usually just takes 2hours on my system a 1200Mhz Athlon... Your system doesn't seem to be that fast... you you told me that you had a full desktop ready in 3hours i would be impressed... (and that usually take 2 days )

thing is thou i said i went away for 3hrs/1hr so they might have been done really quickly im not sure, ive just compiled my kernel and that was done in minutes.

im going to have to scrap installing gentoo now thou as grub is refusing to work so im left high and dry
fp2099
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never liked grub for some reason lilo just seemed to be more functional.
The kernel part is usually fast, specially if you choose to make "everything" on modules like i do... modular seems to be more functional :) and i like things that work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: