View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hihi, I never would have thought that starting that thread at lkml would create that much noise. At least it led to a minor fix in the as scheduler I posted and made its way into mm3.
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Task wrote:
Is it possible to have a framebuffer do 1600x1200 or am I just being too picky?

[EDIT] You should be able to do this. (I haven't tried it in a long while so please let me know if it still works.)

It has to do with setting custom modes for your card and that varies so there isn't a magic number I can hand you, basically it's safest to base it off a working xwindows modeline and then modifying the append line for the kernel to match.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-18.html
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Dinini on Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: New Reiser4 Reply with quote

From the reiserfs-list:
Quote:

New snapshot arrived

fetch it
http://namesys.com/snapshots/2003.11.12/linux-2.6.0-test9-reiser4.diff.gz

for description look at http://namesys.com/snapshots/2003.11.12/READ.ME

reiser4progs and libaal packages should be taken from the previous snapshot
dir http://namesys.com/snapshot/2003.10.17/.

I am not in any particular hurry for this, but FWIW... :)
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:

No, the root kernel parameter should contain your true root filesystem, not /dev/ram0. The initrd code uses /dev/ram which is hardcoded in init/do_mounts_initrd.c. There's no need to specify it in a kernel parameter. To use an initrd you have to tell the boot loader about it, that's all. Here an example for GRUB:

Code:

title=Gentoo GNU/Linux 2.6.0-test9-mm1
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /bzImage-2.6.0-test9-mm1 root=/dev/main_vg/root_lv hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-cd
        initrd /initrd-lvm-2.00.07-r1.gz

Once again, asimon fixes my erroneous posts! Thanks! :)
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Task wrote:

Is it possible to have a framebuffer do 1600x1200 or am I just being too picky?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8000 with 1600x1200 and I love it; I use anti-aliasing on the fonts and have a very nice display.

I use vga=792.

Here is my 1600x1200 framebuffer setting in GRUB:
Code:

default=0
timeout=3

title SCSI Recovery Console AOC
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 init=/linuxrc hdb=ide-scsi vga=792 video=vesa:mtrr,ywrap rw SCHEME=aoc pci=noacpi acpi=off elevator=cfq
        initrd /boot/initrd
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watersb wrote:
I use vga=792.
decimal 792 = hexadecimal 0x318 ... Isn't that 1280x1024x24 :)

1600x1200x24 would be hexadecimal 0x31F = decimal 799, (vesa 2.0+ card required to accept that code).

vesa 2.0 mode chart (vesa modes were frozen with 2.0, any additional modes are by manufacturer and can vary wildly) :) http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.3

I had better luck editing the modeline than using the 1600x1200 vesa mode codes directly (probably due to older video cards being used in the linux systems) see earlier post.
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New framebuffer patch for 2.6 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan/bootsplash/kernel/bootsplash-3.1.2-2.6.0-test9.diff
Grub boots and the initial bootsplash image is loaded! :)

Screen blanking still seems to leave the image displayed. And I'm now getting annoying splash usage error message in verbose mode from the time the root is mounted read/write until the init.d/bootsplash script sets all the consoles with the new image. Message reappears at shutdown.
coreutils
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great this new patch works for me as opposed to the first bootsplash patch for 2.6-test9.
warlord89
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i'm a newbie please don't hurt me for this question
i love this sources but how do I aply this diff patch ??
And does anybody get a ISDN fritzcard running with these lovesources ??
Ty
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord89 wrote:
Hi i'm a newbie please don't hurt me for this question
i love this sources but how do I aply this diff patch ??
And does anybody get a ISDN fritzcard running with these lovesources ??
Ty

The Forums and the Internet in general have a nice feature called search. Please consider using it.
The answer to your first question is in this thread a few posts back (twice), as well as in the Kernel-HOWTO among other places. It goes somewhat like this:
untar the kernel source
cd into source dir (e.g. /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9)
patch -p1 < /path/to/patch.diff

As for the Fritz! cards I remember there being a seperate driver module for those? If so, it may or may not work depending on wether the developers of the module have switched to the new module interface in the 2.6 kernels.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome @ mm3
Awesome @ reiser4
Awesome @ new bootsplash

I can work on the patches tomorrow for sure. Perhaps tonight, but I make no promises.
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what happened, but I think love-sources killed my system. My parition is reiser3, and basically, I never noticed it, but in test9-love2 at startup it would always say the drive was NOT cleanly unmounted. Shutdown messages appeared normal, so I didn't give it a second though. Well, yesterday when I tried to boot, reiser finally checked the tree this time and it found some errors (unfixable). It won't let me finish booting without going into "maintance" mode.

I never had any problems like this with any other sources even with test9-love1.

Nothing important was lost, so I'm not mad or anything... all my data is on a seperate drive. I'm just kind of frustrated now, that this weekend, I have to re-do everything.

Anywone else experience this? What could have casued this?
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent a hour reading about bootsplash, and I finally got it working with test9-love2.

But I would like to have something better than 60Hz@1280 - I just can't stand when my eyes bleeds :-P

I read some on that link a few topics earlier - but I couldn't find any nvidia-based cards in the list that was there (it felt a bit out of date :-D).

is it even possible with vesa?
AtomicDog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidar wrote:
I'm not sure what happened, but I think love-sources killed my system. My parition is reiser3, and basically, I never noticed it, but in test9-love2 at startup it would always say the drive was NOT cleanly unmounted. Shutdown messages appeared normal, so I didn't give it a second though. Well, yesterday when I tried to boot, reiser finally checked the tree this time and it found some errors (unfixable). It won't let me finish booting without going into "maintance" mode.
I get the same error msg using reiserfs3.6 with test9-mm2 concerning partitions not being cleanly unmounted. I have yet to experience any data loss or corruption, however.
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would worry about it, seriously. I think as soon as it passes 22 boots in a row (or something like that) it forces the fsck to scan the drive. And then if you're unlucky like me, it'll be unfixable errors and no more booting. If its not just me, then I really think this issue needs to be addressed.
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still newer bootsplash patch (newer than the one above or listed at bootsplash.org) ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan/bootsplash/kernel/bootsplash-3.1.3-2.6.0-test9.diff

This one does clear the image when the screen blanks. Now to find the source of the annoying splash usage error messages that start appearing right after devfs is loaded and don't stop until the stupid console is reset with tthe /etc/init.d/bootsplash script during start up.
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has probably been posted before, but I'm too lazy to search and I haven't been keeping up with the latest kernel stuff for a while.. I'm having issues with my usb intellimouse explorer 3.0 on my laptop. It's insane. It moves uncontrollably at the slightest touch. My laptop's stick thing works fine but the touchpad (non synaptic) moves painfully slow. Is this an issue with the kernel or is there something else I should go looking at?
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safrax wrote:
This has probably been posted before, but I'm too lazy to search and I haven't been keeping up with the latest kernel stuff for a while.. I'm having issues with my usb intellimouse explorer 3.0 on my laptop. It's insane. It moves uncontrollably at the slightest touch. My laptop's stick thing works fine but the touchpad (non synaptic) moves painfully slow. Is this an issue with the kernel or is there something else I should go looking at?

USB mice are predictable for me. In fact I have the same mouse on here, but I wouldn't go blaming the mouse. Check for cranked up xfree/wm settings?
antisthenes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kexec patch's refusal to poweroff properly is I think the cause of the reiserfs errors (I have both, before I had neither), because maybe it doesn't finish unmounting. Maybe remove it, or default it to off? I'll try if I get the same stuff with kexec off in .config--just to make sure, are we getting the same messages? I get /proc/cmdline not found and /dev/console not found errors, and then it prompts me for maintenance mode/Ctrl+D.

What are youse guyses splash usage errors? I get a whole bunch or runlevel_start and runlevel_stop not found errors. Any workarounds? (even redirecting to /dev/null would help--but what/where to redirect?)

It seems that the progress bar goes away at runlevel 3. Why? I'd like it to do it for the whole boot/init process.

Also (this may be critical) with -love2, hdparm is not working very well. When setting DMA etc, it gets DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest and errors, and eventually prints a stack trace (although DMA etc. work fine). I have a standard SiS5535 chipset.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure whether kexec problem is with reiserfs, beacue I have no reiserfs partition. My main installation uses xfs and the boot partition ext2.
Corp.Nobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antisthenes wrote:
The kexec patch's refusal to poweroff properly is I think the cause of the reiserfs errors (I have both, before I had neither), because maybe it doesn't finish unmounting. Maybe remove it, or default it to off? I'll try if I get the same stuff with kexec off in .config--just to make sure, are we getting the same messages? I get /proc/cmdline not found and /dev/console not found errors, and then it prompts me for maintenance mode/Ctrl+D.

What are youse guyses splash usage errors? I get a whole bunch or runlevel_start and runlevel_stop not found errors. Any workarounds? (even redirecting to /dev/null would help--but what/where to redirect?)

It seems that the progress bar goes away at runlevel 3. Why? I'd like it to do it for the whole boot/init process.

Also (this may be critical) with -love2, hdparm is not working very well. When setting DMA etc, it gets DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest and errors, and eventually prints a stack trace (although DMA etc. work fine). I have a standard SiS5535 chipset.

If you want to cure the power-off problem, you will need to get the kexec patch that bssteph used in love2 (he posted links earlier in this thread, and then reverse patch the kernel source (patch -p1 -i <patchname> -R), then re-compile. I did this to cure my box not powering off.. However, I doubt the power-off stall should effect the unmounting of reiserfs, as by this point in the shutdown sequence, your filesystems should have already been unmounted.
If your seeing alot of runlevel_* errors, I would suggest you investigate these a bit further; I'm inclined to think that here may be your problem.
I have been running reiserfs ever since switching to Gentoo, and I've yet to see a problem..

edit: Oh, and strange hdparam results are apparently to do with 2.6 in general, not love patches..
120GB Barracuda SATA
Geforce 3

Last edited by Corp.Nobbs on Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Sgaduuw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antisthenes wrote:
I get /proc/cmdline not found and /dev/console not found errors, and then it prompts me for maintenance mode/Ctrl+D.

I'm getting this as well... Don't think this is caused by kexec though, I removed that patch to make my system shut down properly with ACPI.
But it doesn't happen all the time, I think it's about 50-50 chance that I get this error.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, good news and bad news.

Good news: I'm working on the patches.
Bad news: mm3 and nick's scheduler patches don't get along.
v18 fails in places I can't fix, and v17a fails in places I can attempt to weasel the code into, but I'm not very confident about. And I haven't even compiled yet...
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v19a should work, as it was designed for mm3.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hell. Thanks!

The last sched Nick has a link for on his page is v18, and I hadn't gone to LKML yet, so I just assumed that was the latest.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: